Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dclarkfan1 ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 10:00PM

I finally had the courage to hand my bishop "The Letter" tonight, thanks to what all of you have written and pointed out about TSCC in other posts.

I thank you all for what you have written about your experiences, it finally got me to open my eyes and do what I should have done a long time ago!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Willie Martin ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 10:06PM

Good For You!!!

Congratulations are in order.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 10:22PM

How did the bishop respond?

Date: July 26, 2011 10:37PM

I don't know. I handed him the envelope, walked out, and didn't look back.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 02:13PM

That's how it's supposed to work. Good on ya, mate!

Ron

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 10:37PM

It is a big step to make that detachment. It is exhilarating in one way, and like losing an old part of you in another.

Prepare for them to still try and fix you. Or, if they can't fix you, they might try to look for some "immoral" thing you are doing so they can blame you instead of the church for your departure (he just couldn't live our standards, blah, blah).

Prepare to have a response ready- something like:

I outgrew the church and it was time for me to move on.

Or

The church doesn't match my views now. I have higher standards for what I accept as truth.

Or

My beliefs are personal. I don't want a middleman between me and a higher power.

Or

I am just as qualified as anyone else to decide what a heaven is like- especially Joseph Smith.

Anyway, congratulations of taking charge of your life. Leaving the church is like becoming an adult and taking charge of your life instead of being kept in a perpetual childlike submissive state.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 10:46PM

I love your #2 and 3 dagny. Those are good ones. All my best to the OP. It must be such a good night tonight....knowing your life is going to improve so much. You will adjust in time and don't be letting anyone make up crap about you not being able to live "their standards"....such nonsense. Be firm and be strong. But show them (through you) what life outside the Morg looks like, and they may see some light for them down the road.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 11:36AM

I've thought about it and I just don't want to be a god. It sounds exhausting and boring at the same time.

or

The telestial kingdom sounds great. Like a never-ending Hawaiian vacation. And I won't have to work for the rest of eternity.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 10:41PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2011 10:42PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: July 26, 2011 10:43PM

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 12:05AM

Congrad

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 12:52AM

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 01:11AM

Epic! Congratulations! A courageous step.

Posted by: marriedtoexmo ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 01:22AM

Congrats to you....best of luck in whatever you pursue next

Posted by: Adultofgod not logged in ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 02:03AM

I have been out of the morg for many years, but they still have my name. For a number of reasons that seem weak after reading of your courage.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 03:09AM

Wahoo! I resigned by email to Greg Dodge and had no personal contact with anyone. I applaud your courage is handing the letter in person

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 08:44AM

You are one brave soul! Congratulations! :-D

Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 11:32AM

Congratulations and a word of advice. Itmight be a good idea to copy your letter and also send it to Greg Dodge in Salt Lake City and the Stake President as well if you are interested. So many Bishops use the letter against people or sit on it if they think no one else knows about it. It's usually a good idea to document beyond him.

[posted by Jerry for her]

Posted by: onlyme ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 12:50PM

I can confirm this. During my time as exec secretary the bishop had a man submit his resignation letter to him three times. He just sat on it all three times, never processed it further. If you really want to resign you might need to do some follow-up.

Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 06:37PM

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 01:01PM

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 01:05PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 01:07PM

and shown that you own it! Now you can create your own new World View, and have fun doing it.

It's your life, totally. You don't have to report to anyone.
(Well, maybe you do if you are married and have kids.:-)

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 02:11PM

How well I know the feeling! Just resigned a few months ago myself! Congratulations, and wow, you even did it in person! Love it :D

Posted by: Un_Tarded ( )
Date: July 27, 2011 03:43PM

I left half a life ago, but I made it official on Monday when I mailed a certified letter to Greg Dodge in SLC.
My rm brother informed me that if I didn't take steps to remove myself, upon my death they'd "slap an apron on me and send me off to the celestial kingdom".
NFW!
My health is precarious and I may get a visit from the reaper
possibly sooner than later.

I've left written instructions and got a promise from my sister that she won't let that happen.

Date: July 27, 2011 04:11PM

Lucky for me I never got to the temple, so I never had to endure the endowment ceremony.

My bishop can take the "temple garments" him and his wife bought for me when I was ready, and go burn them for all I care.

The only thing I have from the whole experience is the Standard Works Quad a member gave me when I joined, Trying to figure out what to do with it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.