Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Flat Lander ( )
Date: July 29, 2011 02:22PM

A friend of mine posted this somewhere else, and I thought it might be good to seek input here as well.

Annual Ex-Mormon March Though Salt Lake City:
Truly a "Come As You Really ARE Party!"

Seeking volunteers . . .

That's it -- if it doesn't exist, what do I need to do to make it exist?
I guess we have to telephone City Hall in SLC and organize? I want -- we need -- an annual demonstration/parade through downtown. Ex-Mormons, Post-Mormons, and Mormon dissidents, et al.

Dear ALL: we exist, we are a large and growing contingent, we must resist all efforts to erase, marginalize, and keep us invisible.

We are as much a part of the HERITAGE of Mormonism -- and UTAH -- as "they" are -- INDEED!

. . . who's interested?

We would want to promote peace by vocally criticizing all religious suppression of the rights to free speech and freedom of information and freedom of association. A peaceful walk to promote acceptance and freedom -- by us who shall be named -- we would declare our permanent visibility, we would want to DISPLAY our right to protest and dissent from the whole LDS experience -- which right has been historically suppressed -- LUMPING TOGETHER dissent from Mormonism, RLDS, and FLDS, the Kingstonites, etc. -- they ARE the same thing to us, because they ARE all the same thing.

How much backlash would there be against this? Can I get a permit?
Could we organize participants?

Can we register various group participants, eg:

A group against the abuse of girls in polygamy,
A group for the freedom of information,
Our course our dear queers and those of us who love them,
Proud-Divorced ex-LDS Dads!,
Those against splitting family along religious lines,
Those who have been hurt by ecclesiastical leaders (wait that might be tooooo big)
etc.,
etc.,
etc., -- all issues raised -- that must not be swept under the LDS carpet.

We can paste xeroxed copies of resignation confirmation letters -- standard format of course! -- on our chests. Proud to have resigned.

Dissident Mormons can wear bella-clavas to protest their identities -- obviously to make a point about the need to protect themselves!

We can carry placards of historical figures who dissented from Mormonism thoughout its history. Visibility not burial!

UNLIKE many events to solely disabuse the truths of LDS history, and groups that protest LDS events, I imagine that we do not NEED to "convert" or convince or plead with "Mormons" to understand us -- who've not esteemed us or given us the time of day to listen to our careful ernest treatises on how the LDS Church has screwed truth over. We can ask for it, but we don't need their validation -- we have had to survive without it, after all. We have each other, and we exist, together and as individuals.

I personally would reject the traditional charge of being "Anti-Mormon," mostly because we are a legitimate part of the history of Mormonism, the Mormon heirarchy does not own the definitions of history -- or of MORMONISM, for that matter. But we are Anti-Coersion, thus it is the LDS leadership's choice where they come down on this question. We have every right to be angry and target them, but have much better things to do than to be "anti-Mormon!" We are pro-truth, pro-freedom of information, pro-individual choice. The Mormon heirarchy's cheap labels for us are self-serving, and we know it. We don't buy it. I am only anti-Mormon, inasmuch as they are anti-truth! We do no fit their labels, and we have every right to be reject with their coercive practices.

We can be angry or sad or ernest, but, most of all, we are out in the open. We have each other, and we could collectively show to the Church that we finally own ourselves -- they do not call our shots anymore. I don't need to "convince" or convert Mormons or bystanders to that, I would just need to be.

TRULY a "come as you really ARE party!"
We are here -- GET USED TO IT!?

Too pie in the sky, without volunteers and planning -- so let's put all those years of coordinating and of slogging' it in RS and primary and home teaching to good use?

Does this already exist in some form?

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.