Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 11:33PM

for family members going on a mission? I've got to make that decision in a couple of months as my TBM brother & SIL are going. To tell you the truth I have so little interest in their mission that I haven't even asked where they're going. Maybe they don't know yet since they haven't told me anything.

I understand the "church" doesn't even do the standard mishie farewell meeting anymore. If that's the case I probably won't even bother.

It's my hope that they're called to work in Greg Dodge's office processing resignations. If that happens I'll even send in a resignation letter myself. Even though that would be like resigning from a job I quit 35 years ago.

Mormonism: the only job you have to pay to keep.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 12:25AM

but I like messing with Mormon minds by being nice and friendly and agreeable and STILL not believing a word of Mormonism. Because only evil angry people are apostates, right? Of course I'm not crazy - I take my Kindle to the meeting and spend the whole time reading 1491 or something faith demoting. I wish more myth-busting Mormon books were on Kindle.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 12:27AM

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 12:28AM

I would probably go if it mattered to them. If they didn't seem to care, I'd skip it. If it was out of town, especially if a long way, I'd probably use that as an excuse to skip it.It would also depend on how much I cared about the individual and howw tolerant he is of my beliefs.

Posted by: laluna ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 03:10PM

I totally agree with CA girl. Maybe even show up with Starbucks in hand, but be really, really nice.

Posted by: old hippie ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 03:29PM

Go, and wear a tie-dyed t-shirt.
Most of the folks you don't know will avoid you, and your family will probably be to embarassed to introduce you.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 04:01PM

You've been out for 35 years. I would support a wedding, but not a baptism, priesthood ordination or a mission farewell. Are you permitted to support your family at a Mormon wedding? No. So, that would be my answer on the other things.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 04:05PM

in order to feel emotionally "supported" by me.

I have probably 80 nieces and nephews, and many of them (male and female) have gone on missions. I stopped going to those meetings long ago. But I usually go to the family gathering afterwards.

In my mind, the personal contact is what counts.

I wish them luck (and I hope they are safe and it's a positive experience for them, and that they don't get too brainwashed or convert too many people).

Being in an audience doesn't count as emotional support, in my opinion. However, there ARE those who in years past might have wanted me there in order to have a chance to try to touch me with "the spirit".

When I hear the word "support" in conjunction with attending a meeting, I can't help but think someone is being guilted into attending.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 04:16PM

Nada. I'm done with that stuff. Why on earth would I support it?

Sure I have family members still in it up to their eyeballs. And it saddens me terribly that they are bewildered by evil, but I'm not going to be held hostage to this church. I'm not going to pretend things are okay. I'm not going to goof around and play nice with these folks. Civil, sure, when they are in my face and there's nothing else to be done. But go back to the place that keeps my family from me? No.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 04:21PM

I most likely wouldn't go, as I have TBM step siblings that live in Provo. While my stepfamily is accepting of non-members, there could be others in the ward who would judge me, as the only thing I have that's "modest" enough for them is slacks with a blouse.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 04:24PM

Would they support you if you announced that you were going on a two year mission to convert people OUT of Mormonism?

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 05:05PM

I probably won't be going. I went to a funeral a few weeks ago and just being in the chapel gave me the creeps. And frankly I don't feel like giving any support to something as wasteful as a senior mission.

I wish they would just go on a cruise or something. They seem to think going on a mission will be fun. I remember when my parents got back from their mission my mother didn't have any thing to say about having fun.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.