Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: July 31, 2011 10:35PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oieFS785QPk

I walked down the aisle to this music and it chokes me up every time I hear it... My church organist had to learn it because it's a relatively new piece written for bagpipes by German composers...

The first time I heard this, I was in church. I was a graduate student at the University of South Carolina and decided to go to church one day. I was raised Presbyterian and there are many Scots in my family. Nevertheless, I was unfamiliar with the gorgeousness that is "Highland Cathedral" the day I went to church and there was a "kirkin' of the tartans". I remember tears streaming down my face as this piece played and Scottish clan after Scottish clan marched down the aisle to be blessed. I remember thinking the music was so beautiful that I would love it played at my wedding someday...

Two years later, I married my convert exmo husband at Virginia Military Institute and marched down the aisle to that splendid piece of music. My husband is not a VMI grad; my father, an uncle, and several cousins are... I also have several relatives who worked there, thereby making me eligible to get married there. But I think had my husband known anything about VMI, he would have been at home there... and he is at this point an Army officer, which makes him really appreciate the setting of our marriage. I chose it because it meant a lot to my family and I knew it would mean something to him, even though I was raised Presbyterian and he is an exmo. So we got married in front of a mural depicting battle, which seems very appropriate in the wake of dealing with his (now) TBM ex wife.

We will celebrate nine years of marriage in November aboard the SeaDream I. It's a luxurious, all-inclusive yacht and was rather expensive to book. Nevertheless, I think it's fitting we'll be there for anniversary #9, enjoying the perks. When my husband was with his first wife and reached year #9, they were in a death spiral, despite his conversion to the LDS church in an effort to save his marriage.

The ex had told him he was "not worthy" to baptize his daughters. She was upset that the bishop had been too easy on him during a counseling session. She claimed he wasn't "good enough" to be a Mormon or to have the privilege of helping her raise his kids.

I met him not long after all of this transpired and knew nothing at all about Mormonism, even though the religion would one day overtake the small town where my mom was born and raised and where I had spent a golden summer as a kid (Buena Vista, VA).

Whenever I hear "Highland Cathedral", I am filled with so much emotion. It was the perfect music for me to walk down the aisle to... not only does it nod to our Celtic heritage (me more Scottish and him more Irish), but it also gives a nod to our favorite duty station as of yet... Germany. We spent two glorious years there and did a lot of traveling... though not enough to quench our thirst for Europe.

I am very grateful that my husband wasn't "worthy enough" for his ex wife or his daughters. I am glad she tossed him away for not being "good enough" for her purposes. She gave me a tremendous gift and every time I hear "Highland Cathedral", especially on pipes and organ, I am reminded how large of a gift she gave me. It's a glorious tune that perfectly reflects nine years of an effortless marriage with a wonderful exmo husband. Every time I hear it, I become positively verklempt at the idea that I could be so lucky... and so Scottish with a nod to the German composers. Indeed, next November, when we celebrate our tenth anniversary, we hope to do it aboard the Hebridean Princess on a Scottish cruise... where my husband can feel free to indulge in as much Scotch as he pleases.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2011 10:48PM by knotheadusc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: winnip ( )
Date: July 31, 2011 10:40PM

I concur...
I am a freelance organist (meaning I get around) and have played Highland Cathedral quite a bit in the last few years...love it especially when there is a powerful organ behind it...

Date: July 31, 2011 10:43PM

My mom is also an organist, though she's pretty much retired now. I remember giving her the music to try out on the piano that she passed down to me last year. She loved it as much as I do.

Our wedding music was mostly hymns... though the organist did have to familiarize herself with "Highland Cathedral". We hired a bagpiper to accompany her and it turned out gorgeous. I noticed she didn't give me back the music afterwards!

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: July 31, 2011 10:43PM

Clan Davidson here.

And your true story makes "Stormy's" drivel and drama look really tacky. Thanks for sharing.

Date: July 31, 2011 10:44PM

Thanks awfully. (A phrase I learned as a young lass in England, courtesy of my dad's Air Force service).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2011 10:51PM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: fiji.SIVO ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 02:46AM

This is one piece of Music that really touches my HEART. The first time i heard it, i could not stop tears in my eyes and that was just days after my Sister passed away at 35yrs of age. And i was like this, "Thank You LORD for the life of my SISTER, now you have called her to your place (HEAVEN) but i will never forget her"

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 02:20PM

Sept Burnett myself. Heard this for the first time at the Edinburgh Tattoo. In tears again.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 03:09PM

That was just lovely. Thank you for sharing it.

Posted by: XYZ543 ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 03:22PM

Just wanted to say that your marriage sounds wonderful and that you sound like an awesome human being. Your husband is every bit as lucky as you are.

Such love, such commitment.

Date: August 16, 2013 03:29PM

I like it with organ and pipes best... this is sort of how it was on my wedding day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoTfnS0blA8

I posted this two years ago and we did have our 10th anniversary in Scotland. That is one place I could go back to again and again and always be satisfied. I loved it.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 10:08PM

Clan Duncan here.

That is gorgeous music!

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 10:39PM

Clan Galbraith here, strictly on my DH's side (I'm a mongrel, Swede/Brit/German/Cherokee...all over the place). I was BIC, and DH was raised Presbyterian.

DH and I had a wonderful vacation in Scotland for our 7th anniversary in 1998. Can't wait to go back someday.

If I have my way, we'll restate our vows in either year 25 or 30 with something in a Gothic cathedral involving a bagpipe and pipe organ. Both would be a dream come true.

I loved reading about your memories, thoughts and feelings. - thanks for sharing where you've been in life.

Date: August 16, 2013 10:54PM

I didn't realize where my origins were until about thirteen years ago, when I lived in South Carolina and was surrounded by fellow Presbyterians... and Scots. I had the good sense to ask my one living grandparent about our origins before she died in 2007 at almost 101 years of age. She told me all about it. It was pretty clear that on my mom's side, it was a lot of Scottish ancestry. My dad's side is English, Scottish, Irish, and German... but there was Presbyterianism on both sides. And when I went to Scotland last year, I can say that I've never felt more at home outside of Virginia and South Carolina. People actually stopped us and asked for directions, we fit in so well... and then they heard our American accents!

I want to go to Ireland before our next Scottish trip, but I will go back someday. It has become a very special place, as has Germany. Incidentally, there were a couple of awesome German couples on the Scottish cruise with us. They said they were regulars because they loved Scotland, too. We won them over when I recognized their Jack Wolfskin athletic wear. ;-)

I ended up making a video of our trip... I daresay it turned out nicely, and I used two versions of Highland Cathedral to make the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2yGve90MOc&list=TLroa9-I9XsSs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 11:01PM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 11:54AM

Very nice video.

This is the first time I've heard "Highland Cathedral" and I must say it made a lovely background to your photos.

To the OP: You have a delicious writing style which is a delight to read. You would be a magnificent travel writer. I also enjoyed reading your description of your effortless marriage to your "worthless" husband.

Just goes to show, it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Many good years ahead for the both of you.

Anagrammy

Date: August 17, 2013 02:49PM

Thank you, anagrammy. As a matter of fact, I have done some travel blogging and write travel reviews. And two years later, I'm still happily married to my "worthless" husband. ;-)

Posted by: sparta ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 07:00AM

I was in a highland cathedral recently, listening to Highland Cathedral being played on the pipes.

*sigh*

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 09:55AM

Finally got a kilt several weeks ago.

Posted by: Agate ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 11:23AM

First time hearing it. Love it. Thanks for sharing it.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 04:11PM

Whenever I hear this piece my thoughts go to the Menin Gate ceremony held every day at 8 o'clock to remember the 50,000 British and Commonwealth soldiers who died at the Ypres Salient and have no known grave. It is often played there as it was when I visited this past June. Is there any other art form that is more evocative than music?

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 04:18PM

youtube.com/watch?v=17Un3201Z8

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 04:48PM

Beautiful music. I especially enjoy the drum beat at the beginning and throughout the song. For you metalheads out there, it is the same beat used in 'Am I Evil' from Metallica

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-u-HCHCuHMg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-u-HCHCuHMg

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 07:33PM

Beautiful music. We're members of the local Scottish Society and go to the Kirkin. It's great fun to walk in the staid Presbyterian church with pipes blaring, all of us dressed in our tartans and kilts.

Someone in the society has an ancient Geneva Bible that is often read at the Kirkin. The first year after the service was over I went running after her, wanting to look up the infamous Genesis passage. There it was: God made them "breeches". What a thrill to touch that book, over 400 years old.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.