Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: August 02, 2011 04:32PM

I just can't get over how much Jeff's looks like him.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hermes ( )
Date: August 02, 2011 04:39PM

He taught at my school, I never had him, but my brother did.

He was famous for this chastity example: He would take a half-gallon glass milk jug (that dates me) and he would put his lips on it and French kiss the bottle, thrusting and wiggling his tongue as far as possible so everyone could "see how gross it really is!"

Students loved him. I thought he was tool.

But the Jeffs/Beebe resemblance is too real to ignore.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 02, 2011 05:41PM

..is beyond me. Really, that's just vile and twisted.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 02, 2011 07:46PM

That's always one to make people feel good about themselves.

Posted by: ness ( )
Date: February 11, 2015 12:30PM

My seminary teacher would chew a mini snickers bar, spit it in a napkin, and pass out around the room while asking if any one would eat it. I can't imagine how a non virgin felt... I used to look up to the man, now I think of him with disgust.
He was creepy... And has an unusual fondness for hostess Twinkie... Bit tea is bad for you. Lol

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: August 02, 2011 05:19PM

It continually blows my mind at how sex-oriented TSCC is.

In my no-mo church, if someone would have done something that blatantly sexual they would've been run out on a rail.

Posted by: Flecher ( )
Date: August 02, 2011 09:34PM

I think the original organization was into wife swapping.

Posted by: Nico72 ( )
Date: February 11, 2015 11:39AM

Polygamy is very different than someone's sexual fantasy of wife swapping. Polygamy goes back to the Old Testament and is mentioned as something that prophets back to Abraham participated in, that it was deemed of God. Polygamy was re-established with Joseph Smith in revelation from God until it was abolished by further revelation and threat of extermination.

Posted by: Exdrymo ( )
Date: February 11, 2015 11:48AM

Aaaalll righty then.

Posted by: Phil in Roy ( )
Date: December 06, 2019 08:58AM

Polygamy was banned by Woodruff in 1890 under the 1890 Manifesto. Whether it was a TBM authentic revelation or a good business practice was never honestly revealed. Woodruff stopped authorizing plural marriage prior to the Manifesto and then claimed to have a revelation post hoc. Woodruff also directed certain members to move to Mexico and Canada to continue their polygamous lifestyle. Banned? Not really. Look the other way? Most likely. The SLTRIB had a good historical article on this a few weeks ago.

Posted by: Ali ( )
Date: August 02, 2011 06:15PM

Ugh. Help me!!! I have 2 years of seminary to go... :( Why???? My mom is cruel.

Posted by: hapeheretic ( )
Date: August 02, 2011 07:30PM

He was my seminary teacher in 12th grade.

When I was at Olympus High, he was very popular, and many students wanted to be in his class.

I thought he was a very nice man, but kind of eerie---that's the only word I can come up with to describe him.

While I was in his class, I felt like I "should" be having this intense, spiritual experience with the most popular seminary teacher in the school. Instead, he left me with a vaguely weird feeling in my stomach during every class session.

I guess my gut knew even then that something was just not right about the church and its purveyors of the gospel, even the ones deemed the most "popular".

Posted by: outofutah ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 03:23PM

Posted by: Nico72 ( )
Date: February 11, 2015 11:51AM

I was in his seminary class back in '99 and I can remember that he was popular, but I had the same feeling about him when I was in class. He meant well, but I think there was something about him that was a little off. To this day I have not had another teacher with his quirkiness. I got out of his class what I needed to. I just had to keep reminding myself that I wasn't following him as an individual, but following Christ. As far as I know he never did anything inappropriate against anyone, except tell off collar comments about his relationship with his wife, and his weird kissing demonstration.

Posted by: Charlotte ( )
Date: August 02, 2011 09:29PM

He was weird, always speaking in 3rd-person "we". One day, he gave a description of washings and anointings and just when he explained where the ordinance worker would touch the ladies' breasts, one girl burst into tears.
I'm a guy, and I immediately saw this girl " in a vision" in a natural setting. It was a pleasent vision, except I felt sorry for "what's-her-name" crying. Charlotte was his wife.

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: August 02, 2011 11:46PM

He was my seminary council adviser when he was at Kearns High.

He was pretty popular as he created a spiritual theatrics presentation. I remember one story he told, about the wayward young man that was hanging out with the wrong sort, drinking, etc. This group was in a mischievous mood and when they came upon a couple making out in a car, pulled the guy out, beat him up, and then took turns with the girl. The wayward guy was the last in line, and was trying to decide if he should go along, when he looked at the girl and it was his sister. That was one of the last stories he told, and then he moved up to Oly.

Oh, he also had the rule for the council, if you kissed someone, you were supposed to bring ice cream to the next weekly meeting. He was one in a million.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: August 03, 2011 11:54AM

Hmmm... seems like perhaps he was describing some of his own sexual fantasies to the teens in his class.

Perv

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 03, 2011 12:30AM

By the time my sister reached Olympus, she was pretty much a heretic who didn't take seminary even though she's still on church rolls...

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: August 03, 2011 12:50AM

Did Hoffman go to Olympus too? How many Oly High graduates do we have on RFM me wonders. 1983 for me.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 03, 2011 03:18AM

Some of us from the school up on the hill have put together "a network" of people from the old neighborhood; as she noted WCG went to your alma mater, as have a few others...

With Cottonwood High being built at that time, students were allowed a few choices on attendance irrespective of boundary chagnes... Hofmann's sister sat behind me in senior study hall, and I knew his best friend, Jeff Salt... And my sister tells me Markie was in her chemistry class; I've never gotten around to quizzing her if the curriculum included anything on explosives...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2011 03:19AM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: August 03, 2011 07:01AM

Whoever said that if he'd tried that french kissing-milk bottle trick in their church group, he'd be out on his ear, is right on target.

If he'd tried that at ANY gathering of teens or young adults where I'm from, even 25 years ago, that would have caused huge waves.

And a man talking about breast touching, in that setting/context, in a mixed group of young boys and girls? That, to me, is beyond inappropriate.

He's not a medical doctor, a therapist, a guidance counselor, or a nurse, is he? That wasn't a sex-ed class or young mothers' course.

The display of tongue, the explicit mention of the boob, was designed to guage the room, and the reaction of the boys and girls under his control. Grooming, is one possibility. Voyeurism, or its opposite, may have been his underlying motiviation in doing it so publicly.

Was he ever a bishop? Did he ever do private worthiness interviews of young children?

For me, he sealed his monster label with his very creative car gore fest, where the boy almost commits incest, via rape, of his own sister.

My mother was very religious, and we attended similar sorts of young adult camps, conferences, and faith and support groups when I was a kid.

She revered her minister. But one whiff of this sort of thing, and she would have shown that voyeur/pervert a thing or two. She'd have seen him for what he really was, hiding under layers of devoutness, denial and disguise.

Posted by: Elwood ( )
Date: August 03, 2011 10:06AM

Another Titan here. I had Beebe my senior year. It was my last class of the day, so sometimes I just didn't get there. And he was pretty cool about it - when I showed up after missing a couple of weeks straight he just said "good to see you."

As others have said, he was over the top even for a seminary teacher. The funny, or sad, thing is most people really drank it up. Pretty much everyone wanted to be in his class.

The last time I saw Don was in the locker room in the Salt Lake temple more than 25 years ago. Funny the things you remember.

I hadn't thought of the Jeffs resemblance, but yes they do look a lot alike.

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: August 03, 2011 11:39AM

All the parents wanted their kids to get Brother Beebe for cemetary. He was legendary among the faithful for giving such spiritual lessons. Everyone thought he walked on water. He also travelled around the SL valley giving sacrament meeting talks. I never had him for a teacher...but his classes were packed.

I remember one sac. meeting where he tearfully told of a guy who was caught in a natural gas explosion, and where he garments were, "he was not burned". Gag. Don't you think the extra layer of clothing, and a just a momentary flash of flame had anything to do with it?

Now that I think back on his demeanor, he was exactly like Warren Jeffs...creepy.

Posted by: hapeheretic ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 02:13AM

Hi Dan--

I agree that he was "Brother Popular" when I was there---Class of 1980. And I did wonder, deep down, why people were so enamored of him. He was supposed to be such a spiritual "giant", and when I got him my senior year, I thought I should be really excited, but I kept thinking he was weird. I thought something was wrong with me for not being wowed by him.

By the way, weren't you a cheerleader in '78? I remember the cheer squad, and when I've seen your name on this board, I wondered if you were the same Dan Boyle as the "Danny Boyle" I remembered, along with Annette Burgess, Brian Stephens, etc. My brother, James Dalton, was in your class. Back then, he went by "Jim".

Anyway, it's amazing how many former Titans are on this board.
Wow, what a small world!

Posted by: musicangelgirl ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 12:35AM

Brother Bebe from Granger High? dude he taught at my high school if thats him he is also my freinds uncle by marriage he does look and sound alot like Warren Jeffs but hes a really nice guy in person one of the few that has treated her with any respect in her family since she wants nothing to do with the church either. I think its him because this same bro Bebe that taught at my highscool has taught seminary at many of the other highschools in the area hes still teaching too as far as I know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2011 12:38AM by musicangelgirl.

Posted by: CBarr ( )
Date: December 05, 2019 07:04PM

He was my favorite seminary teacher. I still remember the story of his daughter being born alive with a black umbilical cord after the students of Olympus fasted and prayed. He taught me that Jesus is real and interested in the details of my life.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 06, 2019 09:14AM

Looks like quite a few Olympus High people here at RfM.
As for me, I'm a South High Cub.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 06, 2019 11:27AM

Anyone from St. Mary of the Wasatch?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 06, 2019 11:30AM

What about LDS Business College ?

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: December 06, 2019 11:56AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2019 11:57AM by Plaid n Paisley.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: December 06, 2019 11:58AM

On South High! Class of 1978.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: December 06, 2019 09:23PM

I'm a Cub too. Long time ago, but important reunion coming up in 2020.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: July 11, 2021 07:49PM

Me too!

South High Cubs are....

South High Cubs are....

South High Cubs are...

Better than the average bear! GRRR!

South High was a GREAT school the years I was there.

Moroni Schwab was the Driver's Ed teacher.

Posted by: latterdaylabia ( )
Date: July 11, 2021 06:41PM

Did anyone get a patriarchal blessing from Donald Beebe?

My mom was his seminary student in the 70s, then I got my pblessing from him around 2000.

I never realized how creepy it is. He said my name every other word and talked about my hair four times. And I'm wondering if anyone out there had a similar experience.

It sounds like some did get weird vibes from him as a teacher, and now I'm feeling really weird about his history with my family.

I know it's a long shot. Thank you.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: July 11, 2021 07:20PM

Wow, blast from the past. It's sometimes interesting to read old threads...

These variants of the "chewed gum" analogy are pretty detestable. Girls as consumables and boys as consumers.

They're also extremely shallow. For example, I'm sure anyone would be repulsed by the notion of eating a previously chewed snickers bar out of a napkin. But underlying the premise is that it must be "ok" to re-eat your own previously chewed up snickers bar, right? Who would spit a partially chewed candy bar into a napkin, and then later re-chew it again? and again? and again...? Or lick the entire neck of a milk bottle, and then drink from it again later? Clearly not hygienic, even for the licker.

No one would do that, even with your own gum, candy bars or bottles of milk, right? But if you're the only one who's ever "chewed" your "sweatheart," it's all good.

Give me a break.

I'm a nevermo, so never attended seminary, but did hear the "chewed gum" lesson in youth group at church, delivered by a real douchebag. FWIW, this legendary seminary instructor also sounds like a real douchebag.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.