Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: danr ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 03:33PM

Two Non-Mormon Acupuncturists set up a practice in Salt Lake City and answer questions about the Mormons. They are both very respectful of the Mormon beliefs, but I found it interesting to have them explain about the Mormon Sacred Underwear. It sounds like the temple garments aren't as secret as tbm's think. Here is one question:

Q: What are some special considerations a practitioner should take when treating a LDS Mormon? Can you explain a bit about "sacred undergarments" and how a practitioner should work around them?

A: There are no unique or special considerations to make when treating LDS patients. They are people with health care concerns that are no different than those of other patients. When I first began working as an acupuncturist in Utah, I was very nervous that I would offend somebody or say something wrong. I quickly learned that Mormon people are eager to talk about their beliefs and wanted to help me feel comfortable here and with their faith. I have learned so much and continue to learn every day.

Members of the LDS faith wear sacred undergarments after they have received their "endowment" as part of a religious ceremony performed in their temples. Garments are worn day and night by men and women, and serve to protect the saints from evil and also serve to remind them of the commitments they have made in the temple. They are a type of underwear that is always white in color. Most commonly, they are a top and bottom, but some people choose to wear a one-piece garment.

I approach the garments just as I would any other undergarment, by being courteous and respectful of its wearer's personal space and body. If it is necessary to needle an area that is under the garments, I simply ask if we can either move or remove them. It is never an issue. People want what is best for their health and are eager to do what is necessary to meet their health care needs.

You can read the full article here:

http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/mpacms/at/article.php?id=32273

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 06:35PM

I know my Dad goes to the mormon chiropractor in his ward.
They seem to stick together.

K

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 06:39PM

AnonyMs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know my Dad goes to the mormon chiropractor in
> his ward.
> They seem to stick together.
>
> K

Re: acupuncture - is there a pun in here?
:)

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 07:05PM

Van: Calling all scientists! Calling all scientists! Be advised that there will be a worldwide conference on global warming in Kyoto, Japan.
Scientist: I have a degree in homeopathic medicine.
Van: You've got a degree in baloney!

[for Homeopathy you can also substitute acupuncture or chiropractic]

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 07:39PM

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 07:39PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2010 07:53PM by maria.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 10:51PM

onceanelder Wrote:
> Van: Calling all scientists! Calling all
> scientists! Be advised that there will be a
> worldwide conference on global warming in Kyoto,
> Japan.
> Scientist: I have a degree in homeopathic
> medicine.
> Van: You've got a degree in baloney!
>
> [for Homeopathy you can also substitute acupuncture or chiropractic]
>

Only someone who is really, truly ignorant would do that, though.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 07:10PM

Bringing together two bogus systems (Mormonism and acupuncture, in this instance) can create an overload that sucks all rationality out of the room, causing heads to explode -- and possibly triggering the zombie apocalypse.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 07:52PM

Hasn't acupuncture an accepted and respected form of Chinese medicine for about 3000 years? And isn't chiropractic care usually covered by traditional insurance? Or are we just playing some game on this thread that I don't understand where we mimic Mormons by not doing research and then mocking people who don't agree with our non-researched opinion?

Posted by: jamesbrown ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 09:37PM

Nope - Its nonsense. The fact that it's been around for thousands of years simply makes it 'old' nonsense.
Do you follow Orac by any chance? He is a surgeon/scientist that has studied this from one end to another.
I trust his opinion.
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2010/06/when_what_an_acupuncture_study_shows_is.php

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2010 09:38PM by jamesbrown.

Date: November 03, 2010 09:42PM

Just because something is old, accepted and respected, it doesn't mean it's not bogus.

Date: November 03, 2010 09:32PM

Lunatic on lunatic action. Sounds good.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 09:40PM

These are legitimate health services that are used by thousands of people around the world some for thousands of years. I have used some of them, to great advantage.

Date: November 03, 2010 09:45PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 10:53PM

Stray Mutt Wrote:
> n/t

Acupuncture is well-researched and it works.

Posted by: Ms. ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 11:07PM

As long as the doctors are trained properly--as with anything in western medicine. My sister recently graduated from medical school, and she had rotations with doctors that would suggest it to patients. She said it was the traditional acupuncture that had been studied in medical journals, but there are other kinds with improperly trained practitioners that don't work. Same with Western medicine--I believe in the necessity of some surgeries, but I definitely want my surgeon to have had all the training possible!

Date: November 03, 2010 09:47PM

The local CVS sells water for $9/oz labeled as homeopathic cures for any damn thing you could name. I asked the pharmacists if it didn't embarrass him to sell this stuff and he said "well thousands of people use it..." and then he added "I don't care"

Its all Woo and you would be well away from it.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 09:58PM

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 11:36AM

I've taken my dog in for acupuncture. I was quite skeptical about it. She has a degenerating cervical disk and her neck was inflamed. She wouldn't move and yiped whenever you touched her anywhere near her neck. About 30 minutes after the acupuncture appointment, she was bouncing around the house, not hurting anymore like nothing had ever happened.

Acupuncture works.

I don't know how and I don't much believe in the concept of Chi, but I've witnessed acupuncture working. I can't see how the placebo effect would occur with a dog. She had no idea what acupuncture was, why the vet was sticking needles in her, or what the procedure was supposed to do for her.

Because of her experience, I got acupuncture to treat carpal tunnel. Between that and the strength building exercise, I haven't had any pain since.

Now chiropractic and homeopathy I have had some experience with and no success at all, so I think both of those are utter quackery. I'm still kind of on the fence about acupuncture. I could concede that it's quackery and the placebo effect goes a long way, but how does that explain my dog? She was in excruciating pain before the treatment and then afterwards, was good as new. We're talking about a 14 year old dog. Not likely she'd just shake off an inflamed disk in her neck within an hour.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.