Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koolman2 ( )
Date: August 03, 2011 07:54PM

So I went to the Silver Gulch with my friend last night. It's the most northern brewery in America, and they make some mighty fine brew. I had seven sampler glasses of various beers, ranging from a pale ale to a dark imperial stout. I had a scotch egg to eat, which comes with something called moosetard. It is quite good.

I was pleasantly surprised when I found that I liked the flavor of every beer I tasted! I was worried that it would taste like piss as many people have told me throughout life, but turns out it is quite delicious! I drink my coffee black with no sugar, so I guess I'm used to bitterness. I don't know how much a taster glass is in terms of volume, but I was quite buzzed by the time we left. It wore off after about two hours, though, so it couldn't have been that much. We were there for about an hour.

Interestingly, I enjoyed the beer more than my screwdrivers. Perhaps it's just the vodka I chose (Smirnoff 100 triple distilled), but oh well. They're drinkable, just not ideal now that I've tasted some high-quality beer.

While I enjoyed myself overall, I can't help but think, "THAT'S what everyone was so uptight about?!" It really isn't a huge deal, now is it?

And thus ends my alcoholic quest for the time being. Thanks for listening, all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 03, 2011 08:09PM

Only yucky cheap beer tastes like piss. A lovingly made beer can be one of life's pleasures. At least I've found that to be true. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 03, 2011 08:20PM

I'm glad that you liked the beer! My brother enjoys complex beers as well. I'm more of a pale ale type myself.

You're right, the Mormon church makes a huge deal out of nothing (alcohol, sex, etc.) Silly, isn't it?

Posted by: greekgod ( )
Date: August 03, 2011 08:26PM

Pale Lay Ale, Summer? :D

I am also getting into beer. I've had Drop Top Amber Ale and Heineken Lager in a bottle. Any suggestions for me?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 03, 2011 08:34PM

Posted by: emmasforever ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 05:19AM

Hit your local brewery if ya have one.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 09:43AM

...try just about anything Mexican--Tecate, Dos Equis (stay thirsty, my friend), and virtually anything by Modelo (Modelo Especial, Negra Modelo, even Corona).

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 10:15AM

A very big +1. I'm more of a wine and champagne kinda girl, but there's nothing like an ice cold Tecate with a slice of lime some days.

Also try Fat Tire sometime. Good beer and I think you'll like it.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 12:04PM

But the only Mexican beer I like is Pacifico.
The rest are skunky.

Date: August 03, 2011 09:10PM

Forgot to mention that I did prefer the darker, more complex beer, although it was all good. I like when the flavor of what I'm drinking persists and changes long after it has gone down. It's like a road trip in the mouth, heh.

Posted by: warsawdragoon ( )
Date: August 03, 2011 10:44PM

try arrogant bastard [not joking]

Posted by: emmasforever ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 05:14AM

I love arrrogant bastard. I made up a song about it that goes to the tune of book of mormon stories.

Date: August 04, 2011 12:48AM

Whoops, guess one more update: went out one last time and had pizza at Boston's. They make good pizza, and he made me get a margarita. It was okay, but it was very strong of tequila and whatever else it is they put in it. Drinkable, and I wouldn't mind it again. I presume much of this is an acquired taste.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 02:10AM

Keep on trying stuff. The world of alcohol is a wonderful place to play sometimes.

Posted by: anon1234 ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 04:36AM

I <3 beer!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 09:41AM

I think it's from an obscure place in WA, like maybe from Roslyn or Cle Elum or something. It's great but a bit strong. Shouldn't be driving even after just one.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 10:04AM

koolman2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't help but think, "THAT'S what everyone was so uptight about?!" It really isn't a huge deal, now is it? <

Yes, that's the big lesson. Now you can just relax and enjoy.

Oh, and if you like dark beers, and you're stuck with needing to choose a mass produced one, you might consider Negra Modelo. It works for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2011 10:07AM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 10:35AM

Huh? Did someone just say Arrogant Bastard?! Great, now I'm thirsty for one and I'm drooling on my keyboard. I love Arrogant Bastard! Maybe that's because I am one.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.