Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 09:53AM

Cult attendence
Tithing, mandatory support of cult
Testaphony, mandatory verbal support of cult
Recruiting for cult

add you own worthyness requirement here

but being worthy of being a member of the cult has nothing to do with being a decent person.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 10:29AM

That is so true, and I can illustrate that with a personal experience.
I was on formal probation for a year and a half, trying to work my way back into good standing. I was doing everything I was supposed to be doing. Going to all my meetings, paying tithing, etc. One day, the bishop told me that my goal should be to get my temple recommend back. A couple of thoughts went through my head when he told me this:
First, "WTF is this grown adult telling me, another grown adult, what my goals should be?"
Second, "How the hell am I supposed to get my temple recommend back if I'm on formal probation?"
It was at that moment that I realized not only did I not miss going to the temple, I hated going to the temple, I was paying for the priviledge to do so but couldn't, and that a temple recommend was merely a tangible display of a minion's allegience to the organization and its leaders. By telling me that I should aim to get a temple recommend, my bishop was trying to gauge my commitment to the church. That was more important to him than the fact that I had abandoned certain selfish behaviors.
"Do you promise to be obedient? Then pay 10% and we'll be happy to remind you that you promised to give everything you have to the mormon church, even your own life if necessary. Just bow your head and take it in the rear."

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 12:19PM

It takes a certain amount of self-loathing and feelings of unworthiness to be considered worthy.

Date: August 10, 2011 10:37AM

followed by unquestioning faith

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 10:46AM

No sex.

Date: August 10, 2011 11:57AM

Falls under the "What was I thinking" catagory.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 12:19PM

Sex is OK as long as it is between adult males and teenage girls. at least it is in Nauvoo and salt lake city. But evidently not in Texas.

Posted by: King Benjamin ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 01:14PM

1. Murdering a child in cold blood.
2. Sipping coffee on Christmas Eve while singing carols with my family.

Posted by: King Benjamin ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 01:17PM

But they will both keep me from acheiving godhood, and from living forever with my family in the Celestial Kingdom.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 01:25PM

Date: August 10, 2011 01:40PM

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 01:45PM

The girl is currently trying to get her recommend back. She was bummed because someone at church asked her if she was temple worthy and she had to say no. I told her I respect her beliefs and all, but I never wanted to hear her say she wasn't "worthy" of anything ever again. Such a messed up word to use. Why can't you be temple certified? Oh right, less shame that way. Can't have that.

Date: August 10, 2011 02:39PM

I hope your girlfriend figures out that the Church is not qualifed to judge her wothiness, they are really judging only her conformity and compliance to cult teachings, willingness to be used by the cult and to financially support and represent the cult.

Is that really what she wants to be worthy of?

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 03:11PM

Yeah, she is really dedicated to getting that recommend. You have to understand that she was a total Molly Mo her whole life. My other Mormon friend knew her family growing up and said that the girl was the Mormon no one wanted to hang out with because she had a stick up her butt about being a perfect Saint. So she never expected to fall away from the church or anything. She just wanted to have some fun after her divorce, and figured she'd keep on trying out new stuff until she was ready to repent.

I'd love for her to realize that no card with a barcode could ever determine if someone was worthy of anything, and that she could have all the faith in God she wanted without forking over all her money and free time to the church, but it's her decision and her life. I told her I was here for her and whatever repentance she was dealing with I would give her whatever support I could. Pretty sure that's all I can do.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 02:50PM

Not me!!

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 04:16PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.