Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 07:36PM

So I got home last night from work and found a letter from the branch president.
"Dear Susan Xxxxxx
I have received your request to have your name removed from the records of the Church of Jesus Christ of blah blah blah. I am writing to inform you that per your request your name will be removed from the records. I would also like to inform you that this action will cancel the effects of your baptism and confirmation and revokes any temple blessings. Once your name has been removed, if at some point in the future you decide to be readmitted to the church by baptism and confirmation, it can only be done after a thorough interview.

"If it is not your request to have your name removed or there has been some mistake, this action can be canceled by notifying President Xxxxx Xxx within 30 days of the date of this letter at the following address."

I know I'm out, but the constant referral to it as "name removal" and a "request" rankles me a bit. Maybe more than a rankle. Kept me awake stewing.

I thought of replying and mentioning that it was not a request nor name removal, but informing them that I had resigned and that it was already a done deal in the eyes of the law. And that they can't buffalo me with the "name removal" beause I know my name will never be removed from the cult rolls. I also wanted to let him know it's spelled "cancelled", not "canceled."

I originally sent my resignation by email last June 3, as some may recall.

Susan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2011 07:37PM by escapee.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 07:49PM

a monthly average, that is.

Perhaps their don't keep track to keep themselves in DENIAL (common Mo tactic).

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 07:50PM

They invariably rephrase it as a request for name removal because that makes it sound like they are granting your "request".

It is spin doctoring, pure and simple. They do it to rankle, and probably as a case of denial on their part. They can't cope with the fact that a person can give LDS Inc an order, and they have to comply.

LDS Inc gives orders, it doesn't take them, doncha know.

Except, of course, when you resign.

Congratulations.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 08:00PM

Actually, both are correct. "canceled" is generally used in US English and "cancelled" is preferred in the UK.

Congratulations on your resignation. Don't let their semantic games get you down.

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 10:15AM

It is? I learned "cancelled" here in the US. :) I don't recall ever seeing it with one L.

Or maybe I just didn't notice.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 08:37PM

Now celebrate! You got what you wanted. It's your life. Live it the way you want.

The rest is their in-house business of computer clicks. You may receive a Confirmation Letter. Most people do.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 09:31PM

Quoted from the letter: "I am writing to inform you that per your request your name will be removed from the records. I would also like to inform you that this action will cancel the effects of your baptism and confirmation and revokes any temple blessings."

Well.. they're not removed from the records.... the record simply is not assigned to a local congregation. The whole thing still exists in the big database... how else could they restore everything as stated above. They lied.

Funny how those ordinances require some type of personal priesthood intervention to initiate, a few computer keystrokes (in absentia) to remove them, and another hands on priesthood thingie to restore them.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this is all just made-up stuff. ("Stuff" wasn't my first word choice.)

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: August 10, 2011 11:57PM

jpt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well.. they're not removed from the records....
> the record simply is not assigned to a local
> congregation. The whole thing still exists in the
> big database... how else could they restore
> everything as stated above. They lied.
>
> It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this is
> all just made-up stuff. ("Stuff" wasn't my first
> word choice.)

It's OK, jpt, you can say "shit" in my thread!
But yeah, the "not name removal" is just bullshit. I know the only removal is to move my records to Salt Lake. Which is why it pisses me off when they call it name removal.

There will be a confirmation letter, maybe next month. I still could fire off something to light a fire under their butts, but I'm not sure I want to. I've got bigger fish to fry.

I'm out, legally and so forth. And I have things to do.

Susan

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 11:29PM

Exactly. Well done!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 01:19PM

It's the computer clicks that get you off the active rolls. We all know that nobody is removed from their master lists, but that's OK. It's just "In-House" computer clicks that keep the forever lists going. They do that so if anyone wants to join again, they have a record of you. And people do rejoin, especially exed members.

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 01:35PM

I just love the phrase, "thorough interview" for getting your ordinances reinstated. What the heck does thorough mean? Why not just state you need an interview--why make it a "thorough" interview? Why isn't a normal interview good enough?

It implies that you are leaving because you want to engage in wickedness and several priestood leaders need to give you a going over if you return, right? Like you couldn't be leaving for a legitimate reason, right? Nope-you have to be bad, so prepare for a good thumping if you return. Really makes you want to come back, doesn't it? How in the heck can the church claim this is a loving process? It's demeaning, mean-spirited and harsh.

One last guilt trip for the road. TSCC is such a cult.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 12:34AM

"one last guilt trip for the road"

That is too funny and so true!

Posted by: The Devine In Us ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 03:16PM

Cheers to you!!!! You know I never have thought of removing my name because long ago I stopped believing that this church has any power over me. They can do all they want with their cold/heartless words and try to make me thing I am denied my blessings and joy from God. My eye's have been open for a long time as to the truth. I don't care for what they perceive as "blessings". I don't care for them and see destruction to the soul in them. Let them send whoever they want to my door as they want. They will be treated with Love,Honesty and truth which stands firm against anything they can try to throw my way. That's probably why it rarely happens. It freaks them out!
All My Best!!!

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 04:48PM

but they are practiced in the art of spin. Using words like they are "granting you request", attempts to give the illusion that they are really the nice guys just helping you out. But by the time you resign you know that they're anything but nice.

Michele Bachmann officially leaves her church

Notice the same condescending language in her church uses as does LDS Inc. What is it with the resignation process that allows them to think that someone needs their permission to resign?

The Bachmanns approached their pastor and verbally made the request “a few weeks before the church council granted the request,” Hochmuth said. He added, “they had not been attending that congregation in over two years. They were still on the books as members, but then the church council acted on their request and released them from membershipThe church council granted the Bachmanns’ request to be released from their membership on June 21, Hochmuth said.

This in not intended to spark a political debate, just noticing the way "Churchs" think they own their members.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/15/michele-bachmann-officially-leaves-her-church/

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 06:58PM

we need a clock like the one that shows our national debt to tabulate the ongoing exits from the cult.
anybody want to come up with a webpage for this?
Librarian

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: August 11, 2011 10:53PM

"cancel the effects of your Baptism?" What does that even mean?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 12, 2011 10:21AM

When we are baptized, we promise Heavenly Father that we will obey his commandments. (Show the wordstrip.)

• What are some of Heavenly Father’s commandments?
• What do we promise Heavenly Father when we are baptized? (To obey the commandments.)
This is our part of the covenant. If we keep our promise, Heavenly Father promises to forgive us when we repent (show the wordstrip) and to give us the gift of the Holy Ghost (show the wordstrip). He promises that we will live with him forever (show the wordstrip).

• What is Heavenly Father’s part of the covenant? (He will forgive us when we repent. He will give us the gift of the Holy Ghost. He will let us live with him forever.)

The above is what it says in the Primary Teachers manual.
obviously some of it is untrue - "He will let us live with Him forever" is not just dependant on baptism, you need marriage and handshakes and stuff as well.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.