Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Warner ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 08:14AM

The Church is considering installation of full body scanners in every Temple, due to increasing threats. Here is an article to let you know we escaped the cult just in time:

(full article text follows)

HAVING been taught by nuns in grade school and later going through military boot camp, I have always disliked uniformed authorities shouting at me. So I was unhappy last week when some security screeners at O’Hare International Airport in Chicago started yelling.

“Opt out! We got an opt out!” one bellowed about me in a tone that people in my desert neighborhood in Tucson usually reserve for declaring, “Rattlesnake!”

Other screeners took up the “Opt out!” shout. I was marched from the metal detector lane to one of those nearby whole-body imagers, ordered to take everything out of my pockets, remove my belt and hold my possessions up high. Then I was required to stand still while I received a rough pat-down by a man whose résumé, I suspected, included experience at a state prison.

“Hold your pants up!” he ordered me.

What did I do to deserve this? Well, as I approached the checkpoints, I had two choices. One was a familiar lane with the metal detector, so I put my bag on that. To my right was a separate lane dominated with what the Transportation Security Administration initially called “whole-body imagers” but has now labeled “advanced imaging technology” units. Critics, of course, call them strip-search machines.

I don’t like these things, and not just because of privacy concerns or because of what some critics have asserted are radiation safety issues with some of the machines that use X-ray technology.

No, I don’t like the fact that I have to remove every item from every pocket, including my wallet and things as trivial as a Kleenex. You then strike a pose inside with your hands submissively held above your head, like some desperado cornered by the sheriff in a Western movie, while the see-through-clothes machine makes an image of your body.

The T.S.A.’s position is that anyone can “opt out” of a body scan for reasons of privacy or whatever, but will then be subjected to a thorough physical pat-down and careful search of belongings.

In my case, I had been routinely using a normal metal detector checkpoint, when I was ordered to switch lanes and instead go to one of the new machines. I said I would prefer not to, given that my carry-on bag, laptop and shoes were already trundling along the regular machine’s conveyor belt, out of sight. That’s when the shouting started.

As of Monday afternoon, the agency had not responded to several requests for comment on this. Last week, the agency did tell me that there were 317 of the advanced imaging technology machines now in use at 65 airports around the country.

About 500 should be online by the end of the year, the agency said, and another 500 are expected to be installed next year. Ultimately, the agency plans to have the new machines replace metal detectors at all of the roughly 2,000 airport checkpoints.

Meanwhile, both passengers and security screeners are making accommodations, and I acknowledge, change is a challenge. But hey, security folks, could we please start communicating better about the procedures, preferably without shouting or insulting our intelligence?

Bruce Delahorne, a marketing executive who flies frequently, said he was also recently going through a standard metal detector at O’Hare — no body imager in sight — when the old rules abruptly changed.

Mr. Delahorne said: “They had one of the T.S.A. staff announcing loudly: ‘Take everything out of your pockets. If you have a wallet, take it out. A handkerchief, out.’ I asked the guy, ‘Can you explain the reason for the new process?’ He said there was nothing new. ‘We have always done this.’ ”

Well, no they haven’t, as you and I and Mr. Delahorne all know. Mr. Delahorne said he thought, “O.K., I get it. This guy is reading from the card, not talking to me.”

So, Mr. Delahorne said, “I did what they told me to. But on the other side of the metal detector, I said to another screener, ‘Could you explain to me why the procedure is now different at this airport, like having to remove a wallet that never set off the metal detector?’ And he said, ‘No, no. The process has always been the same, at every airport.’ ”

Mr. Delahorne said he was perfectly willing to comply with all procedures to ensure good security. He just wondered whether some of them were being made up on the spot. “For me,” he said, “the issue is, who’s in charge here and what are the rules?”

E-mail: jsharkey@nytimes.com

-- -- -- -- --

It's a good thing we live in a Christian nation. It would be awful if people began to be abused by those in authority over us. What if the government treated us like the church did?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Otremer ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 08:35AM

Let our friendly screeners expedite your departure. http://www.truveo.com/king-virtue-the-truth-about-sobibor/id/417433327

Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 08:59AM

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 02:13PM

This would be a really cool piece of ex-mo performance art--visually reinterpreting the passage through the veil as a TSA screening. Subversive and thought provoking, don't you think?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 09:03AM

Even before the full body scanners, only rookie fliers and morons didn't know it was best to empty your pockets, remove jewelry, belts, eyeglasses and anything else even remotely metallic if you wanted to cruise through the checkpoint. I just put everything in my carry-on bag before I enter the checkpoint. It's not hard. In fact, start at home with your clothing choices.

My last trip I went through the scanner leaving and returning. Both times it was due to a clog at the metal detector because some rookie or moron had something metal on them. It was no big deal, just slower because it takes a while for the image to process. You have to stand on the footprints outside the machine, trying to look harmless with a TSA guy standing in front of you. The TSA guys were mellow, though. "Sorry for the delay. This will take a few seconds. Okay, you're good to go. Have a nice flight."

Meanwhile, the metal detector was still beeping away behind me. Idiots. Didn't you see "Up in the Air?"

So I'm trying to imagine how this would work in LDS temples with the collection of brain dead people that parade through. But I guess the angels that stand on guard to eject the unholy are on vacation or something -- maybe detained by TSA for trying to bring flaming swords through security.

Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 09:10AM

Stray Mutt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> people that parade through. But I guess the angels
> that stand on guard to eject the unholy are on
> vacation or something -- maybe detained by TSA for
> trying to bring flaming swords through security.

lol! =)

Posted by: apikoros ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 01:19PM

Stray Mutt's advice to "Start at home with your clothing choices" is good. Once, when I was a lot younger, I went to Hawaii to visit my sometime boyfriend. While I was there, he presented me with a pair of scanty briefs in a dark colour, loaded with enough gold-coloured metallic thread to imitate the appearance of a tiger. They were a big hit with both of us [enough said!], and when I flew home to Canada I was still wearing them at the Honolulu airport. Even though I had already divested myself of all pocket contents the obligatory metal check set the machine howling - no biggie, the huge Hawaiian guy manning it simply whipped off my belt and tried again, with identical results.

"Sorry, brah - closer look!" he muttered as he led me to a small room. On our way there, it finally dawned on me what the problem was; and I babbled an explanation. Once I had dropped my Wranglers and he saw my incredible tiger briefs, he started laughing and ended up with big tears rolling down his cheeks. "Careful where you wear those, brah!" was his advice.

I never got to wear them to the temple, since my temple attendance was about once every six years... would have been interesting to see whether or not the guardian angels would have stopped me with their swords aflame. Those briefs could make most swords light up!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 01:47PM

I have a bunch of ironmongery holding my right hip together. I have given up on commercial flying.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 02:19PM

So, "a movie and dinner" will now become an in-flight movie and dinner? When is Kolob Air taking off? (Or was that a joke?)

Posted by: metatron ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 02:40PM

I heard that it will be a simple screening process: Those who are deemed overweight will be turned away at the door. Those who are not will be required to go through all temple ceremonies completely nude.

Posted by: my2cents ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 02:47PM

The temple workers who do the initiatories!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.