Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 01:16PM

and she tells me that her and her husband were invited to speak at a mormon fireside this Friday at my past Bishops house, with 10 couples about relationships. She knows the past bishops wife. She wanted to know what to make of it.

I told her that they are trying to be friends with them so they could do missionary work on them. She told me that they were unconvertable to mormonism, but I said that they think that there is always the chance.

We talked for a while and they want to meet with me about my mormon past. I told her how I used to be a missionary and I never thought that I would ever leave, but the cultic culture of mormonism was toxic to me and I had to walk away.

I know how the bishops wife is thinking...get the pastor and he will take his congregation with him. I told her how mormons think that theirs is the only "true " religion and all others are false and wrong.

My pastor is so much more rational and more in tune with Christianity to fall for the pharisee mormon ideology.

I'm curious to know if they accepted the invite to speak.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 01:23PM

I think your advice to them is good and I see nothing wrong with them participating so long as they have an idea what they're in for. Who knows! Perahps your Pastor and his wife can shed a ray of light on some poor struggling Mormon couple whose Bish or SP didn't have enough inside to actually help them with their relationship. I think it is too bad that what Mormons think about is sucking others into their fold. We really miss out on so much when we aren't able to accept others more as they are.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 01:28PM

Puli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
...We really miss out on so much when we aren't able to accept others more as they are.
======================================
This is so, SO true! I may have to give this to my mom to keep in her favrit quotes file.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 03:38PM

I'd love to see if they are "hit on" by the Mos.

Edit: Recommended you go, but the Bish would recognize you. duh. ;-D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2011 03:40PM by FreeRose.

Posted by: Southern Man ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 05:07PM

So you left Mormonism and got involved in some nut-bag organization that has a "pastor"? Doesn't seem like much of an improvement. But at least the dude is "so much more rational and more in tune with Christianity". That makes everything all right, I'm sure, seeing how Christianity is so rational. Have you checked a calendar lately? This is the year 2011. That noise you hear when it's cloudy isn't some deity expressing his anger--it's a scientific phenomenom. And do you really need a "pastor" to read to you from a book of ancient Jewish fairy tales? I've got a better idea: everybody throw off the shackles of religious belief and just be decent people. People who don't need a witch doctor, or a medicine man, or a "pastor". Religion does nothing but put barriers between people. It should be consigned to the garbage heap of history.
Along with its "pastors".

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 08:05PM

You are entitled to your opinion, but I don't think she asked you for your advice. Gee! This intolerant, anti religion attitude is one of my least favorite parts of RFM.You don't even know what kind of church the OP goes to.

Posted by: outofutah ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 08:44PM

There are some on this board who are so hateful towards any type of religious faith at all that they just can't stand the mention of God at all.

out

Date: August 16, 2011 08:46PM

Agreed. Perhaps they need to find an athiest board or at least learn to mind their business until someone asks

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 08:25PM

equivalent to believing false faiths of all types. Perhaps the only evolved ex-mormons are those who reject all myths based upon dogma, superstition, and poor scholarship...

Atheism is evolution!!

HH =)

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 09:01PM

best to ignore him.

Neil Young wrote a song about him.

Only Cannuck I don't like.

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 08:46PM

" just be decent people"

Seems like you haven't quite gotten to this part yet.

OP - I'd advise your pastor and his wife that they should state from the start if they choose to attend that they are not interested in converting to Mormonism. Pick subjects that are heavy on the loving and accepting part of Christ's teachings. :)

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 09:18AM

You know, I thought those comments were worded a bit harshly, but frankly, I couldn't agree more. I don't think he's a jerk for expressing that opinion.

But the comments do fall under the heading of "don't tell other people what to do." I'm a confirmed atheist but I never, ever say what Southern Man just posted to people. Because I spent X number of years being told who to be and how to live by the mormons; I'll be damned if I'm going to turn around and do the same thing as an atheist.

My opinion is: if people want to believe, then go right ahead and worship Jewish fairy tales. Whatever blows your skirt up. I think it would be hypocritical of me to go around telling mormons and christians that they are deluded. I think they ARE, but nobody needs or cares about my opinion, so I just keep that stuff under my hat.

Date: August 17, 2011 07:59PM

My issue is that this is not the subject of the thread and that he is in effect hijacking with unsolicited and off topic advise.Nobody asked his permission to go to church. He is also proselytizing his opinions which is against board rules. If a Christian were doing this, he would get slammed.He has a right to his opinions, but there is a better way to state them and he can start his own thread instead of hijacking someone elses'.

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 12:44PM

you sure you're on the right board?

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 07:52PM

I've talked about this before, but I am awakening to more real Christianity than the scribe and pharisee religion of mormonism. IMO, the mormon version of Christianity seems similar to other religions, but the reality is that is polar opposites to Christianity as told in the NT. Mormonism is fanatical with a myriad of random rules and commandments not found in the bible and is a religion of shame, guilt and punishment, that is extremely judgemental, and conditional in affection/love. Mormon Christianity will ruin relationships.

I donate if and when I want.

The young pastor is captures my interest beyond anyone in my life time of mormonism.

They have a band with usually 3 guitarists, acoustic, lead and bass, drums, keyboard, various singers. I LOVE THE MUSIC, and sing along and wiggle to the beat

The band or video presentations have played a Katey Parry song, Rolling Stones Painted black, U2 elevation, and various other popular songs that I can't rember off hand.

They have coffee, tea, herbal tea and also snacks for the kids

Our congregation donated $5000. and had a well built in Haiti.

The kids leave after the music.

One Sunday we were invited to stay and watch Soul Surfer (our congregation meets at a movie theatre)

This SUNDAY the youth are invited to a pool party at one of the members house.

I actually look forward to going to church.

It is only a little over an hour long.

It is come as you are, with everyone wearing shorts or casual clothes.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 08:09PM

And exactly what happens to people who don't believe in your god?

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 08:19PM

And I agree that the Bishop's wife is thinking that if they convert the pastor they will convert the congregation, just like happened with Sydney Rigdon. Unfortunately she doesn't realize that Sydney was in on the con from the beginning.

Posted by: kdog ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 10:26PM

helemon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> She should realize she is being set up to have her beliefs about marriage being negatively compared to eternal marriage

+1 on that comment, that was exactly my first impression. Why would Mormons care how a "worldly" marriage is going? It's not legitimate so it doesn't even matter to them.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 08:25PM

Ha ha! That's exactly it. She's fancies herself to be a modern Sidney. Geez. I'd be really curious to know how that one turns out, if they accept the invitation.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 08:26PM

I find it very odd that they were asked to speak at a fireside. If the bishop's wife thinks that she can convert them (and that their congregation will follow,) she's out of her mind!

Date: August 16, 2011 08:28PM

It is possible that there are no ulterior motives, but the pastor and his wife should be aware that there very well might be. If not, they can be pleasantly surprised.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 09:40PM

I'd be really shocked if the real reason was to try to convert them, especially because he is a pastor. Mormons tend to focus their missionary/fellowshipping efforts on easy prey.

Posted by: Googler ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 11:14PM

I was thinking along similar lines. I suspect one of their motives is to show the pastor and his wife that Mormons are not so "weird", in the hope that they'll spread the word among their parishioners and provide good PR for the church's tarnished reputation.

Or perhaps the Bishop realizes that Mormon culture is so bereft of good relationship advice that they're hoping to listen very carefully to the pastor's talk in order to steal as many good ideas as they can from him and then pass them off as Mormon wisdom later on.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 16, 2011 11:23PM

That's a good point about the Mormon view on eternal marriage. I have a friend who always makes the comment of, "Too bad they don't have a real marriage," whenever it's a couple who aren't Mormon and haven't been married in the Temple. Even if they seem to be a really happy couple.

I always say, "Well of course they have a real marriage."

She says, "No they don't. They may have a good marriage, but it's not a Heavenly marriage."

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 12:21PM

And the response to that is "and that arrogance is exactly why your faith is viewed so poorly by the world."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 12:30PM

the "pastor" should offer to do it but only if it is in his church building.

The mormon guy would then turn down the "pastor.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 12:55PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 06:21PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 01:31PM

that has been played for thousands of years.
I don't know why people can't just accept that everyone has the same RIGHTS to believe anything they want and let it be.
That's the kind of thing I like about our freedoms in this country.

Posted by: Anubis ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 02:43PM

You all know the stories, some church in a far away land finds a Book of Mormon with no cover and decided to read it. They find it so special that they all convert to Mormonism without knowing it.

Lie and bescrewed (low and behold) - One day a missy shows up and the paster/church says they were waiting for him and the name of the book. 200 people from the chruch convert in one day.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 08:52PM

<snort>

I do so love those mass-conversion stories.

Any day now, the entire Vatican enclave will get tired of being whores from Babylon and get dunked into the LDS club.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.