Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: soutskeptic ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 12:01PM

I think us Extmo's can relate and have empathy for gays in the Church. Kendall Wilcox apparently wants to stay in the abusive relationship.

SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH (kuer) - Last month, filmmaker Kendall Wilcox made a bold decision. He decided it was the right time for him to admit publically that he is gay. Of course, this process can be difficult for anyone, but Wilcox is an employee of the LDS Church, he teaches at Brigham Young University and he's a producer for BYU-TV. Now, he's in the process of making a film that explores the tension between faith and sexual identity. Thursday, Wilcox joins Doug to talk about being "Far Between."

You can listen live on the net: http://www2.kuer.org/listen_live.html

Starts this Morning at 11 AM and repeats at 7 PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2011 12:06PM by soutskeptic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 12:08PM

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 01:22PM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 12:48PM

One of his siblings is one of my best friends from childhood - still a FB friend. I'm so proud of Kendall for coming out and being true to himself no matter the cost. I'll have to zip my friend over a message and congratulate them for their courageous brother. My friend seems totally TBM from the FB posts and pictures. I wonder how their family is taking this.

Date: August 18, 2011 01:23PM

Kendall Wilcox shares his "spiritual experience of reconciliation" while at the Sacred Grove in Palmyra NY. This is a powerful experience for Mormons, my question is how does one distinguish a true "spiritual experience" from a psychological or emotional appeal? How does on know this spiritual experience is not merely subjective? Radio West host Doug Fabrizio pounding him for answers.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 03:18PM

Totally wasn't expecting that either.

Just sayin.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 01:28PM

Does the Bishop ask if he's celibate? And if he says no, Bish has no choice but to start the excommunication process. Is that the rule? You can think gay but not behave gay.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 01:29PM

Is it ok that I've had a non-sexual bro crush on Doug Fabrizio for years now?

Posted by: Emma's Flaming Sword ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 01:41PM

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 01:34PM

A film based on a shame-based culture (of which Mormonism is a prime example)? It's about time!!!

Kudos galore to Wilcox for his courage. I'll be very interested in seeing his film!

Date: August 18, 2011 01:39PM

Did anyone get what Wilcox's answer was? Doug Fabrizio asks him which is stronger his sexual orientation core or his religious core. Boy is he doing mind gymnastics to reconcile.

Date: August 18, 2011 02:05PM

What I'm hearing Evan Wilcox say is he finds reconciliation in observing (opposed to the old fossils in the Church), that the younger generation in the Church is becoming more accepting of gays. What ever happened to the Church being lead by a prophet of God? Wilcox's journey I think is similar to many here, he just needs to come across the Churches faith destroying history.

Posted by: NiceTry ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 02:46PM

Wilcox's essential point was that there is a groundswell of empathy for gays waiting to be unleashed within the church, and an entire generation of young people tired of the judgment and rancor and fighting.

He says as a gay man he feels like an "object" from both sides of the issue, and that he almost killed himself because of the conflict.

He is making this film to be a catalyst for a church catharsis wherein the church turns to empathy and compassion for gays (and for others) and opens a new chapter in understanding and inclusion of gay people.

Wilcox is endearingly idealistic and sincere. It will be difficult to watch this unfold.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 03:24PM

The mental gymnastics were hard to listen to - especially when combined with his obvious sincerity and courage. He really is just trying to be a good man and bring all parts of his life into harmony. He doesn't realize the church he is defending is causing so many of the roadblocks to his goal. He's like so many people I know - like I was even - where you believe you can get the life you want and Mormonism will help you to that goal. Then one day you wake up and realize that Mormonism is what is keeping from achieving that goal. I hope Kendall wakes up but in the meantime, he's trying to open peoples' minds and helping people in the church who are silently accepting of gays feel OK with standing up for what they feel inside. Good job Kendall.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.