Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 03:10PM

Okay so my convert daughter just put on FB that she got "called" to be the church Libarian. All you exmos and still Mormon folks can tell me if this is like the LAST thing a person wants to do or what? She knows nothing about Mormon doctrine/LDS books-she joined because she fell in love. How much extra time does this calling take?

Why would they give HER that job??? She is new to the area where she now lives. What will her duties be? Will she have to order books? Will she have to do anything in regards to the children's indoctrination? She is very smart but hates to read just to read. This is why she wouldn't educate herself on Mormonism. She doesn't sound interested at all in this new calling. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2011 03:22PM by honestone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 03:25PM

She will open the library a little before church starts (about 15 minutes) and will also be in there during the class breaks and a little after church.

Teachers go in there and check out supplies (pencils, paper, visual aids) and to make copies.

Students go there to check out scriptures if they forgot theirs. Many teachers give their students points or candy if they bring their scriptures.

The librarian makes sure everything is checked out and returned to its rightful place. They mostly make copies in my experience.

I don't think the librarian orders books. Maybe just stock up on pens, pencils, and copy paper. There are very few books in the library.

It's an easy calling.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 03:56PM

I agree that it's mostly a check-in/check-out job. The main benefit is that she won't be attending the mind-numbing SS classes. This is a sign that god must really love her...

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 04:32PM

Date: August 21, 2011 03:26PM

That's good to hear. Thanks.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 03:53PM

This was my mom's calling several years ago. I don't know all the details but mainly, it involved her sitting in the church library (every building has one) during Sunday School and Relief Society and checking out materials to the teachers of different classes. For example, after Sacrament meeting (she had Sac Mtg first), she would rush down to the library and open it. Then, teachers would arrive looking for materials they needed to teach their lessons - for Primary it might be pictures and coloring crayons, others might need chalk and extra Scriptures, someone else may need a video to show a short clip in their class on service. Someone else may need photocopies. It's pretty busy right after Sac Mtg and at the end of the 3-hour block but other than that, there is a lot of sitting around. There are people who wander in for pictures and copies and pencils etc., but the rest of the time is organizing the library, hunting down missing items and so on.

Also, my mom had to go over on Wednesday nights for a couple hours to do the same things, for the more organized teachers who wanted all their pictures and copies and supplies before the last-minute Sunday rush. Sometimes she had to order materials or wait in for the copier repairman but it was a pretty easy job.

The main problem I see is that it's a fairly isolated job, in a way. You don't get to attend meetings, although you do get to talk to people who come into the Library. It's not as bad as nursery or something. I would like it personally, because you can sit and read or knit during the slow times and you don't spend two mind numbing hours being indoctrinated in church stuff. She won't be working alone - there is usually someone else working in the Library too. Hope this helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2011 03:55PM by CA girl.

Date: August 21, 2011 04:14PM

Thanks. Yes, that helps. She has a two yr. old. What happens to him after his class(primary,is it?)....isn't DAD in some class for men?

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 03:55PM

It's often considered busy work - something to give a member to do so they feel needed. It's a common psychological trick used by the church.

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 03:59PM

+1 like 'ward greeter'

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 03:58PM

that grace the volumes of mo-homes and BoM's.

we need a talented to RfM lister to draw up some other illustrations from the Book of Mormon (winner of 9 Tony awards)

first one comes to mind, and Arnold Friberg paiting of

Joseph Smith curing Brigham Young's clit face with his magic fuck frog.

that's even a nice caption.

then, while visiting DD on library duty, slip some real BoM illustrations into those library books.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 04:15PM

Adding more ...

In the lesson books there used to be a list of things that can be used to accompany the lesson material.

Say for example, you are teaching kids about Noah's Ark. You can go to the library and check out pictures to enrich the lesson. The library usually has lots of pictures and such. You can check out a picture of Jesus or pictures of BoM or Bible scenes.

The librarian locates the material needed and checks it in and out. She may need to order materials to keep the library stocked from wherever they get the pictures and stuff. They usually have stock ID numbers so she can look stuff up.

When I taught Sunday School, I really appreciated the librarian. Back in my day the most common thing I checked out was flannel boards with story pictures to have the kids place on the board. Does anyone remember flannel boards? I wonder if they still exist.

Luckily the librarian is not a horrible job, but it does require that she be there. She will get interaction with others, but the job itself is kind of solitary.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 04:22PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Back in my day the most common thing I checked out was flannel boards with story pictures to have the kids place on the board. Does anyone remember flannel boards? I wonder if they still exist.

I used to see flannel boards around a fair amount. Now, almost never. Teachers used them to teach concepts to pre-K and Kindergarten children, and sometimes even first grade children. I still like them and think that they are a good method for teaching, but they seem to have fallen out of favor.

Date: August 21, 2011 04:22PM

So, no calling in sick, huh? Well, if she did actually spend some time in there reading between visitors, what would you hope a convert would read?

She is a big scrapbooker and doing that boring job instead of being at home scrapping will surely make her tired of it quickly. I must say she is real organzied though so they got a good one for that. Are callings for a yr?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 04:29PM

She will probably be busy pulling supplies, putting them away and doing inventory.

Besides, there is always some busybody woman with a crying kid who will be out in the halls looking for someone to gossip with. :-) The librarian window is a nice spot for bored people to stop and chat.

It's not like she has access to the Library in Congress in the little room she will be in. I've seen a librarian writing letters, doing cross stitch, etc. There might be some eye opening material in there if she looks, but most Mormons won't notice it.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: August 21, 2011 06:22PM

I think 'callings' are for whatever time they can get out of you. If you're happy where you are and don't complain or cause trouble, then: Welcome to a taste of eternity!

(Different wards may have different rules/customs)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.