Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 02:06PM

I thought I was having a reaction to my medication.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blah ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 02:14PM

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/

I'm not up there but I'm hearing from some folks in Maryland that it was a 5.8.

Posted by: mollymormonfaker ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 02:15PM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 02:19PM

Hope everything and everyone is OK - Earthquakes - been there, done that, sending you all who felt it good thoughts!

Posted by: mollymormonfaker ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 02:20PM

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 02:23PM

The media here in Canada is saying it was felt in Ontario as well.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 02:28PM

My husband felt it at Fort Bragg. I'm about 30 miles north of Bragg and didn't feel it.

Posted by: S. Tissue Trotter ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 02:36PM

I am in a motel room in upstate NY and was lying in bed and thought, "That's odd, the bed must have a vibrating mattress." I actually checked the TV remote to see if I had inadvertantly hit a button turning on the bedshaker.

Well, once again RfM is my first source of news. Now I'll go over to GoogleNews to see what they can add.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 02:37PM

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 02:48PM

Having been born and raised in California, he's had a lot of earthquake experience.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 02:56PM

Posted by: Good Luck ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 02:59PM

it was felt here in Maine also

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 03:00PM

I am in Richmond VA, and the quake's epicenter was Mineral, VA about 40 miles from here. I work in a very large plant and we all ran outside thinking a machine had exploded or something. The latest report on the radio said it measured 5.9. Some buildings in downtown Richmond are evacuating. So far, they have not evacuated us. We are just waiting to see if there will be any aftershocks. I have not heard of any real damage in this area.

Posted by: kristine ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 03:01PM

Felt my computer chair rocking back and forth as if someone was behind me pushing on it. This is in central Jersey.

Posted by: Virg ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 03:41PM

We were just finishing up a lunch meeting when it happened. I thought my chair was just wobling bu then someone else felt it and we all turned and looked at the water cooler. It was sloshing around. We went to the hallway to exit the building and all the pictures of the employees that were haning were swaying as were the plants and blinds. By the time we got outside it stopped. It was trippy. It felt like when you get off a a ride at the amusement park and aren't steady on your feet because you're still slightly dizzy.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 03:03PM

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 03:08PM

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 03:12PM

Coincidence?

Japan's nuclear power plants were located near its Mar. 10 & 11, 2011 earthquakes as well.

(Source of quote, LA times:)
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-quake-shakes-east-coast-20110823,0,5892586.story?track=rss

Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 03:13PM

Anyone know if the Angel Moroni managed to stay atop the Washington DC temple?

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 04:11PM

i saw that structure for years without knowing what it was!!

Posted by: rmw ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 03:53PM

...I have NEVER been in an earthquake before. Surreal but totally safe. It was like there was a train driving over the roof. Loud and shaky...a few poorly hung frames fell off the wall. All is well, but it was unsettling.

rogermartim- hilarious. If it stayed up it was an act of god, if it fell down it was what naturally happens in these situations.

Posted by: skander tea bag ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 03:58PM

It was definitely strong here in Northern Virginia. Wow.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 04:09PM

we dont get them here.... just Hurricanes and stuff! seems like it is not too big a deal.... course i didnt go thru it either...must be a bit of a shock to east coasters!! :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2011 04:09PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 04:28PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 04:53PM

It seemed to increase in intensity toward the end. I started looking at the floor nervously, hoping that it would hold. Pretty much anyone who could leave work early did -- many highways were clogged in the mid-afternoon. Everyone is concerned about aftershocks. Just a few things were knocked down in my house, though.

This is definitely a new experience for most people in the mid-Atlantic. We're just not used to this. It was surreal listening to the news reporter on the radio state that there was no tsunami warning at that time.

Here's a USGS map of earthquakes within the last week:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2011 05:37PM by summer.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 07:42PM

Heck, I felt it north of Toronto. My office chair was shaking for several seconds. That's the 4th time I've felt one, so it only took me a moment to go, "What the ...? Oh. Earthquake." LOL

Somehow I could tell that it was really far away though, and I was right.

Posted by: godesstogodless ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 08:00PM

live 20 miles from epicenter - west coast can keep them scary but no damage to home

Posted by: NEJulie ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 08:01PM

We felt it in Charlotte.
I just thought the washer was on the spin cycle... until I remembered I wasn't doing laundry.

Posted by: cpalmer312 ( )
Date: August 23, 2011 08:40PM

Anderson South Carolina felt it here!!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.