Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gannosu ( )
Date: August 26, 2011 07:53PM

For those in or near Utah and familar with the Susan - Josh Powell story, wifey said she heard on the news that Josh's father Steve is an exmormon and has contributed to exmormon groups. I don't know any other details but it's interesting though he seem to be a liar and not a worthy member of the exmormon community.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 26, 2011 07:55PM

Date: August 26, 2011 07:58PM

Note I said, "not a worth member."

Posted by: missguided ( )
Date: August 27, 2011 06:24PM

Maybe we should start conducting interviews...

Posted by: hapeheretic ( )
Date: August 27, 2011 04:27PM

I didn't know about his church membership status, but I will say
that he sounds like a creep and a pervert.

He actually went on record as claiming there was flirting and sexual contact that went on between he and Susan, and that HE ENJOYED IT.

For Susan's side, her friends went on record as saying he gave her the creeps, used to leer at her, and she insisted she and Josh move to get away from him.

The whole case is getting weirder and weirder as time goes on.

I will say that from what her friends have said, and her sister-in-law (Josh's own sister) that she was repelled by her father-in-law and his advances were completely unwanted and unsolicited.

So sad this poor girl, wherever she is, can't stand up in her own defense, as her character is systematically being deconstructed.

Frankly, I think she's dead. She told close friends she'd fasted and prayed about her marriage, and felt she should stay with Josh, and keep her children within her custody. He went out in the middle of the night during December in freezing conditions to go camping with his boys who were little more than toddlers (WTF?). He rents a car two days later, and puts hundreds of miles on it---won't say where he went or why. Meanwhile, Susan vanishes, and leaves her purse and cell phone behind, and apparently takes nothing with her. Now she's accused of running off with another man, and her in-laws want to exploit her personal diaries to show she is unbalanced and capable of such a thing.

Of course, that is a possibility, if she was desperate enough---anything could be possible.

But, given her husband's abusive (and documented) behavior toward her, and her father-in-law's salacious ways, I have to say it sounds like those two are more suspicious and more inclined toward bad and potentially lethal behavior than she is.

This is, of course, just my opinion, but, as much as I'd like her to be alive, I think her husband offed her.

And his dad didn't pass along particularly honorable genes.

JMHO, once again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2011 04:28PM by hapeheretic.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 27, 2011 06:21PM

from the home in WA including Susan's private teenage years diaries preventing from the husband and father from publishing them as they threatened to do.

It's my opinion that the father keeps the children from his wife's father and mother (the grand parents) with a restraining order, I heard, because the oldest probably knows something that is incriminating and he doesn't want the boys to talk to anyone.

News reporters covering this story are appalled and disgusted by the father's claims.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: August 27, 2011 08:18PM

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: August 27, 2011 08:26PM

when the authorities went to the house, it was reported that there was a huge wet spot or stain (don't remember exactly the term they used) in the middle of the living room and there were fans blowing on it.

I believe he killed her and this wet spot is where he tried to clean up after whatever happened. People who know what happens to a body when death occurs can probably figure this one out.

I believe the police have pretty good idea of how things happened but are still working on finding and evaluating evidence to build their case.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 27, 2011 08:41PM

I agree with you. I'm suprised they haven't pulled up the carpet and padding to look for evidence. No body, no crime, as they say.

I wonder if this will be another case like the Lori Hacking murder where the police find her body much, much later. I seem to remember her character assasination as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2011 08:42PM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: September 15, 2011 08:09AM

NO need to hurry to arrest him and go to trial prematurely and have him get off, why not wait until they have enough evidence to get a conviction for sure?

At this point if they do find her body (I suspect most of assume she has met with foul play) maybe the police will be able to get evidence that can be traced back to whoever was responsible.

Without a body they can't even say how she may have met her end, but if she turns up with a bullets or stab wounds or broken bones they can at least prove that she didn't leave of her own accord.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 27, 2011 08:45PM

You have to wonder what the motive is for the father to make these salacious comments now. Why now? Why not in the first year?

Those more familiar with the case may have an answer. I think it is fishy.

Anagrammy

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: September 15, 2011 08:14AM

She was a no account adulteress so don't waste your time looking for her, she's hiding out with her new lover just trying to make trouble for her husband.

Those men are the victims, don't you know.

I'm sure that whatever happened to her was her own fault.

That's what they think>

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: August 27, 2011 08:50PM

And there was that creepy neighbour who had been giving her 'counselling', too.

A really sad and messy case with loonies at every turn, IMO.

Posted by: transplant in texas ( )
Date: August 27, 2011 10:59PM

we talked about the case when we were up in Provo earlier this year. Bro & SIL were like, "Duh, of course he did it. Everyone here knows he did it, he just dumped her body somewhere out in the bush & until someone stumbles onto her skeleton he will go free."

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 27, 2011 11:12PM

Josh Powell's father, Steve, was fairly active in exmormon circles about ten years ago, attended a couple of exmormon conferences. He was still at that time a member of the church, and said that he intended to maintain his membership even though he didn't believe a word of it. He was an embarrassment to the church because he held the office of seventy, which used to be as common as the office of elder or high priest. He refused to be ordained a high priest, which is what the church did with most seventies, and they didn't know what to do with him priesthood-wise.

I met him several times, and had conversations with him about Mormonism. He wrote a paper, which I don't think he ever published, identifying Bernal Diaz' history of the conquest of Mexico as a source for some of the material in the Book of Mormon.

A number of people knew about his sexual attraction to his daughter-in-law - he talked about it rather freely.

Quite a few exmormons who were involved in exmormon activities ten years ago will remember him.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: August 28, 2011 11:07AM

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: August 28, 2011 12:10PM

...do good and bad. I like the ton of information and opinions given on RfM but I may not agree with it all like I'm sure people may not agree with everything I post (including this one). Just because Josh Powell's dad is excommunicated doesn't mean he's instantly a hero or not.

People are complicated, whether in the morg or on RfM or in the ex-mo community. Like the majority on RfM, I don't use my real name. That's the first indication to have suspicion about me. But then most of us left or are leaving the morg and have reason to not use our real names. That may be an implied understanding among us at RfM. Yet there are probably stalkers and others on RfM who would like to use that anonymity to their sick advantage.

Just be careful with whom you associate and who we think are ok just because they're out of the morg. We're not all who we think we are. Even me.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 28, 2011 12:34PM

Thank you, Toto. I found the assumptions in the original post to be really odd. I also believe that people are people and behave in all kinds of ways, regardless of religious belief (or disbelief).

Date: August 28, 2011 01:28PM

Possibly you need to know more of the story of Steve and Josh Powell, at least what's available on the news.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 28, 2011 01:31PM

People feel comfortable here over time but it is still the net and people need to use basic caution. That is why we don't allow people to post home addys or phone numbers.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: August 28, 2011 03:21PM

it appears now the FIL was infatuated with Susan...he was making various, flirty, sexual advances towards here...all unwanted....Read up on his website and music...VERY creepy...

Now...if this is true and it appears that it is...WHY would Josh Powell have a relationship with his father?????

They are now exploring the possibility that the FIL may have caused or is involved in her disappearance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2011 03:27PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: shadowwraith ( )
Date: September 14, 2011 11:36PM

I have no doubt that the police have a fairly clear idea of what happened. Proving it has to be the largest obstacle. But when they finally nail him, it will stick, you can be sure...I have little doubt of that. The man is a fool if he thinks what he traded her life for was worth the hell he is living or has in store for him.

While I would love to believe she is alive, she's dead, because there is NO scenario that explains his behavior other than the fact he did something bad, and he needs to cover it up. The best thing he can do, guilty or not, is get his butt to the police station and stay there till they either get a confession or he exonerates himself of any misdeeds. I don't care if you hate someone, you don't wish them dead or gone and you sure as hell cooperate with the police till the cows come home. Your past feeling, dude, you've pooched it big time.

Posted by: duffy ( )
Date: September 14, 2011 11:42PM

They have found remains that they think could be hers in an area where her husband is known to have gone to look for rocks.

No positive identification yet though.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: September 15, 2011 04:33AM

ABC news places the search site 30 miles from where Josh said his campsite was, the night Susan disappeared:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/09/susan-powells-father-remains-discovery-doesnt-get-our-hopes-up/

Popular w/ gem hunters and rock hounds, the Powell family reportedly searched for gems in the area in the past.

A local Fox News story states the search is not connected to search warrants served in Washington, where Josh Powell and his dad now live, or to the recent search in Ely, Nevada. Also states the area is "near" where Josh was that night (not 30 miles away, as in the previous ABC story):

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-susan-powell-wvc-police-continue-search-of-utahs-west-desert-for-susan-cox-powell-20110914,0,5405325.story

One commenter on one of the stories says Ted Bundy confessed to leaving a woman's body in the desert in this general area before he was executed, but law enforcement found nothing during a search back then.

Torn between wanting these remains to be Susan's, and not wanting it to be. I just keeping thinking of her two boys, and how much they must be missing her right now. Who knows what kind of lies the Powell's might be telling them, about why their mother isn't there to hug them anymore?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.