Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 06:45PM

I got this question again saturday night and realized that I've always dreaded this particular question because as a very good little molly mo growing up, I never did ANYTHING that normal people would consider crazy.

I usually get kind of panicked running through things in my mind trying to find something that they won't just laugh at.

Luckily, most people take my pensive look (while trying to decide if I'd rather say it was the time I missed curfew because I fell asleep at my friend's house on a group date watching The Little Mermaid, or the time I played strip poker and we got all the way to people being barefoot!) as me trying to decide between all the super crazy things I've done in my wild crazy life, and the conversation moves on.

Then I spend a little time being sad. It's not like I want to go back in time and sleep with everything that walks by, or re-spend my college years in a drunken stupor, but I definitely could have used more good old-fashioned fun in my life...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 06:47PM

In fact, the US Army paid me a little extra every month to do so.

Okay, that may not sound THAT crazy.

But do you know why I volunteered for airborne in the first place? I figured it would cure my deathly fear of heights.

Nope. It just taught me to do things that have slammed my sphincter shut like the seal of a mason jar...

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 06:48PM

The craziest thing I've ever done is dress up in sacred robes and learn secret handshakes in a super special temple so I could become a God some day.

But a close second was doing a bit of hitchhiking while backpacking abroad during my college years. One time, I was alone and hitchhiking back to London to meet up with friends. That was probably pretty crazy.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 06:54PM

Posted by: Jesus the Smoke ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 07:17PM

Getting married in the temple to a woman I barely knew and that I wasn't in love with....never fell in love either.....had a horrible relationship which I finally left after 15 years and 2 kids. Effing nightmare!!!!

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 07:19PM

married someone gay--and then I read CA girl's answer. Her's wins. If that wasn't the craziest thing I did--it certainly wins for the most stupid thing I ever did.

It wouldn't matter if I were mormon or not--I'm rather conservative in my actions--and it isnt' because I was mormon.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 07:33PM

Sent a 3X3 poster of my exwifes vigana to her new husband. I don't know if he posted it on the wall or not, but it did match the one I have on my wall. ha I am sick and know it but want to be cured.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2011 07:35PM by get her done.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 07:37PM

Flew to Bangkok on the flip of a coin, then ended up in Western Australia living out of a van for two months.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2011 07:53PM by Pista.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 07:56PM

OMG that's awesome!

Posted by: omen ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 07:43PM

I joined a cult about twenty years ago....

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 08:59PM

I wonder what cult.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 07:46PM

Driving from SLC to Mazatlan to see a total eclipse.

About 1 a.m., near Guaymas, the car I was riding in with a lovely Dutch girl (friend's girlfriend), died. Alternator, apparently.

The van with the rest of our crew was ahead of us and didn't see that we weren't there.

There are no shoulders on Mexican freeways, so we hauled a bunch of stuff out of the car, went down into a gully and hoped the car didn't get hit by a passing semi.

I was just starting to really get panicky, thinking about what was going to happen when the sun came up and it's Mexico in July, when our friends somehow managed to find us.

Course, they saw the car on the side of the road, empty and with the trunk open (it was the only light working), and they freaked.

We then managed to find a tow truck in the next town and hauled the car to some shop in town. It was going to take 2 days to get the alternator replaced.

Well, we had an eclipse to catch, so we LEFT THE CAR and went on our merry way.

The day after the eclipse, in Mazatlan, we woke up, sobered up, and began to think this was perhaps not the wisest move.

So, we went to the consulate. We asked someone there to call the number we were given, as they could speak better Spanish, obviously. The call was made and the consulate person was told, "Oh yeah, we know Julio, but he doesn't WORK here".

So, we began the long and embarrassing trek back to Ciudad Obregon.

If you can believe it, we found the yard where the car was. We did end up giving yard workers 200 bucks to get the car back. But we did and, believe it or not, it was fixed and ran like a dream.

We were also pulled over at least 3 times on this trip and had the wonderful opportunity to bribe our way out of various charges.

Fun times!! :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2011 07:48PM by elee.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 07:50PM

@helamonster, you stole my thunder.......more than 800 jumps here including 106 static line ones.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 08:00PM

Marrying and raising 3 kids. It's about the craziest thing *anyone* could do.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 08:16PM

Mr. Naive hits the big bad city. It's a good thing young people have more aspirations than smarts.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 08:28PM

Got a buzz on a drink the other night...

I live dangerously I tell ya!

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 08:28PM

It didn't turn out well.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 08:41PM

After having nine children...which was nuts right there,

Very anxious to leave Utah, sold the house, bought a 35' Terry Prowler RV and a Suburban and towed it to the northwest with four children. Lived in various small towns between Oregon and Washington before getting a good job in Olympia, Washington.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 08:51PM

Selling everything, buying a sailboat on Lake Michigan and sailing it out to the Atlantic, through the Panama Canal to Samoa - that's the craziest thing I plan to do. :)

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 09:02PM

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 09:11PM

Streaked. :-)

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 09:13PM

In my younger years used to look up old abandoned mines. Me and another fool climbed down in a mine opening on a old rotten wood ladder. We stepped off into a horizional shaft and went back into the various drifts. Our flashlight died. We spent 2-3 hours crawling around in total darkness untill we found the opening. After we got up the ladder,,we dropped a large rock down the shaft,,never heard it hit. Never went in another mine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2011 09:14PM by unworthy.

Posted by: NeatNewName ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 09:38PM

Went to Europe wearing my BYU--Provo sweat shirt. Nobody there knew what BYU was, but EVERYBODY knew that Provo was the name of a terrorist group. I got a LOT of attention from security officers, men, boys and suit-types who all wore sunglasses.

Posted by: Hillbilly Heathen ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 10:06PM

Drove my truck across a 200 foot long active railroad trestle.

(I may have been in a slightly altered state at the time...)

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 10:13PM

I got married twice to two different religious zealots of which I never was religiously zealous ever.
Didn't learn the first time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2011 10:14PM by suckafoo.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: August 29, 2011 10:58PM

Married an Iranian. Don't ask.

;o)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.