Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jf ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 01:34PM

Nothing wrong with the Boise temple, except that it's an ugly design. I've been inside many times, and it's functional and clean. This seems like a waste of money to me. The church is building a new temple in Meridian. Why not keep the Boise temple functional until Meridian is built, then tear it down and sell the land - it's prime real estate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 01:34PM

If they're all about service why aren't they paying it forward to all the starving Africans or the Syrians or Lybians during their wars or the victims of the Japanese earthquake? 13 mill could go a long way... they already have so many freaking temples, what could they possibly HAVE to upgrade?

Posted by: drewmeistercantlogin ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 04:49PM

ajhart Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If they're all about service why aren't they
> paying it forward to all the starving Africans or
> the Syrians or Lybians during their wars or the
> victims of the Japanese earthquake? 13 mill could
> go a long way... they already have so many
> freaking temples, what could they possibly HAVE to
> upgrade?

Lessee here, let me flip through my mormon excuse rolodex. Try this:

They were less valiant in the pre-existence. Therefore gawd decided to punish them, in his mercy of course, with famine, sickness and death.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 01:41PM

I've never minded this design.

That doesn't mean they needed to duplicate it about 10 times.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 03:24PM

If I'm not mistaken the one in Dallas and the one in Chicago are both similar. I'm sure there are others as well.

It doesn't hold a candle to the old European cathedrals but as a modern building it sure beats the hell out of the Provo temple design.

lulu Wrote:
> I've never minded this design.
>
> That doesn't mean they needed to duplicate it
> about 10 times.

Posted by: xMo ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 06:46PM

Boise was the first (1984) of the (not sure what to call 'em) six-spire-hexagonal-roof design.

"The design, created to maximize efficiency, was adapted for 14 other temples built between 1984 and 1989."

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/boise/

They're also renovating the Buenos Aires Temple, but in that case they are actually taking the unique step of building two additional identical hexagonal units to form a trefoil design. Interesting solution, I suppose.

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/buenosaires/

Date: August 31, 2011 06:49PM

The other Boise style designs are (in addition to Dallas and Chicago as you mentioned) Manila, Taipei, Guatemala City, Stockholm, Johannesburg, Seoul, Buenos Aires, Lima, Frankfurt (only one spire), Portland and (the last and largest one) Las Vegas.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 07:49PM

>Do you really think that the Cult has come up with ONE archetectural style that is appropriate for such diverse places as...
> Dallas and Chicago, Manila,
> Taipei, Guatemala City, Stockholm, Johannesburg,
> Seoul, Buenos Aires, Lima, Frankfurt, Portland, and

> Las Vegas?!
Said it before and I'll say it again... The Mormon Cult is devoid of Art, and it's members are TACKY as HELL!

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 11:44PM

xMo Wrote:
> The other Boise style designs are (in addition to
> Dallas and Chicago as you mentioned) Manila,
> Taipei, Guatemala City, Stockholm, Johannesburg,
> Seoul, Buenos Aires, Lima, Frankfurt (only one
> spire), Portland and (the last and largest one)
> Las Vegas.

Uh, Portland is not the same plan as Boise. I've been in both (weddings and endowments) and Portland is way different. Just sayin'.

If Portland WAS the same as Boise, I would not have gotten lost so many times...

Date: August 31, 2011 01:42PM

Maybe that's why they prefer to spend the Lards money on shopping malls, "luxury" apartments. and tacky temples, rather than feeding the poor, or helping the sick and homeless.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 02:35PM

I asked my mission president about this once, and I'll never forget his answer:

"We're concerned with the eternal salvation of mankind. Let the other churches worry about temporal salvation."

This, coming from an old white man living in a church-owned mansion (no joke) at the top of a hill in San Diego driving a brand new luxury car. Anyone who served in San Diego knows how ridiculous that house is.

They could sell it, buy a small one that would accomodate the one old couple that uses it, and give the rest of the money to the poor.

Anyway, I replied that we could perform the endowment ceremony in a warehouse and it would have the same functionality at only a fraction of the cost. He asked me if I thought a warehouse was good enough for god, and of course I replied yes. He told me I didn't have enough faith in the brethren. I didn't disagree.

Posted by: snowowl ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 02:59PM

You should have replied, "Jesus was baptized in a river, not in a temple, with the Holy Spirit in attendance and God looking on. He also didn't have any fancy home like you. So, Mission President - what was that comment again?"

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 11:58PM

Where is the house?

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: September 01, 2011 12:51AM

And God didn't mind when his son was born in a stable. Where is the palace Jesus built? Where did he command the rich man to spend his money to build him a palace?

Posted by: Hermes ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 05:45PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 06:01PM

how old/new is the B. temple???

I thought it rather new.....

face-lift ALREADY????

GAs: "Oh well, it's NOT LIKE WE'RE SPENDING OUR OWN MONEY" HAHA

Date: August 31, 2011 07:01PM

1984 ... about 27 years. Acc. to the article it seems like more of a landscaping and mechanical upgrade (new HVAC) than a complete teardown like the Ogden temple.

Date: August 31, 2011 07:42PM

800 years and considered among the greatest architecture in the world. Why does Mormon-dumb's Heavenly Father have such shitty taste?

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 11:50PM

guynoirprivateeye Wrote:
> how old/new is the B. temple???
>
> I thought it rather new.....
>
> face-lift ALREADY????
>
>
> GAs: "Oh well, it's NOT LIKE WE'RE SPENDING OUR
> OWN MONEY" HAHA

Built in 1984 and remodeled in 1986. They totally screwed up that plan. In 1986 they moved the west wall out about 150 feet. So, (until they closed it last month) when you walk in you go past the recommend desk, up the stairs and around this huge pillar/steeple that seems oddly placed right in the main traffic aisle. When originally built, that steeple was on the OUTSIDE of the building.

Also, the original didn't have a cafeteria (which will be removed in this current remodel) and the baptistry was in the center of the building, which made it awkward to get kids in and out for dead dunking.

If I recall correctly, they actually halted construction on either Chicago or Dallas to fix the floorplan because they were having so much trouble in Boise.

So, build it without a cafeteria, then remodel to put a cafeteria in, then remodel to take it out. Sounds like a good use of tithing money right there. (Can I get a tithing refund based on mismanagement?)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 07:44PM

put one of the cheap/UGLY fiberglass steeples on it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2011 07:45PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 07:49PM

Oh wait. That was McDonalds. Never mind. I got the Golden Angel and Golden Arches confused.

Posted by: Frankie Lloyd Wright ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 11:52PM

I think the Ogden temple was cool!

Posted by: OlMan ( )
Date: September 01, 2011 01:11AM

Forbidding and cold.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.