Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: emmasforever ( )
Date: September 02, 2011 08:16PM

I finished The Passion of Raptor Jesus today. I was particularly moved by the ending. I'm going to blurt it out, so if you haven't read the book yet and you don't want to hear this, stop reading.

That part at the end, where Raptor Jesus confronts Satan. Wow. I had to read it a few times over because it just blew me away.For me, it was a powerful symbol of leaving behind the fear instilled by the church, a symbol of being empowered in your decision to walk away. It reminded me of a dream I had when I first left the church.

I left as soon as I was old enough to live on my own. My experience as a mormon was mostly that of a teenager. In my dream, I am in the church building I went to with my family. Someone takes me into the young women's room and tells me I have to confront Satan in a mirror on the wall. They leave the room and close the door. I'm scared, but ready. I anxiously watch the mirror, and after a while, it becomes evident that Satan isn't showing up. He's just not there. I laugh and leave the room.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 02, 2011 08:39PM

...the person in the mirror (you) was Satan. But, of course, you're not.

Date: September 02, 2011 08:43PM

Yep. I just don't think I realized thhat till today

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: September 05, 2011 08:26PM

Honestly, I can't even think about the climax without getting a little emotional.

Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: September 05, 2011 11:14PM

Date: September 06, 2011 04:09AM

Thank you for sharing your experience. It brought back some intense memories and reminded me that i can make difficult decisions and come out stronger in the end.

Posted by: Bal ( )
Date: September 05, 2011 08:50PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.