Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: September 03, 2011 10:23PM

I just finished reading a compilation of 'The Buddhist Scriptures' earlier today. Talking about the 4 Noble Truths and the Eight Fold Path. Very inspirational with some parallels to Christianity in thought. If I didn't already belong to the only TRUE and LIVING Church on the face of the Earth today, I might be really tempted to become a Buddhist. Truly worth reading and expanding ones mind.

It seems nonthreatening enough to me, but it might ruffle some iron-rodder feathers. I wasn't lying though. Very inspiration reading on the life of the Buddha, but Mormonism doesn't allow you to incorporate OUTSIDE stuff into your Mormon belief.

Even though the 13th Article of faith talks about being open to all truth, the REAL truth is that it isn't in the CORRELATED materials, it isn't very valuable.

My understanding was that back in the early days of the Church they had absolutely NO PROBLEM bringing in outside sources and that sometimes the Gospel Doctrine meetings involved the study of things other than the Book of Mormon like Science textbooks, but then as the church grew, that had to be curtailed. Why was Joseph Smith not threatened by this stuff, yet today,s church is?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moira ( )
Date: September 05, 2011 07:16PM

Like Swedenborg's heavens, A View of the Hebrews and The King Jame's Bible? Slippery slope...

Was the book's title actually "The Buddhist Scriptures"? It sounds like a book I would enjoy reading.

Moira

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.