Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: September 05, 2011 10:26PM

I guess I am though I only saw them live once. In Albuquerque in '75 or so. According to iTunes I have 27 of their albums. Maybe what I'm asking is are there any old hippies on board. I can't be the only one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: September 05, 2011 10:34PM

Does that count? He saw them in Las Vegas with his buddies many years ago when he was in the possession of a purple VW bus.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 05, 2011 10:36PM

One of my favorite songs is Touch of Grey. I really like their music. I'm jealous you got to see them live.

I was too much of a Mormon during the hippie era. Now I feel like I didn't get to experience an important part of my generation. I did see Jimmie Hendrix though. Do I get points for that?

Date: September 05, 2011 10:58PM

Hell yes! I'd have loved to have seen Jimi. I'm jealous.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: September 05, 2011 10:38PM

this music sucks.

I love psychedelic music, but the Dead are by and large a tedious jam band. Though when they're playing Dark Star with Constantin, I'm listening. I probably saw them 20 times in the 80's. 1975 would have been a great era. Oh, I'm a nevermo.

21st Century psychedelic music is fabby. I also still love shoegazing. 21st Century jam bands suck.

Since you axed.

Date: September 05, 2011 11:00PM

Anthem of the Sun era dead is my favorite too. Fillmore '69 kick ass too.

Posted by: Jerry's kid ( )
Date: September 05, 2011 10:41PM

sorryfully, I remember having delivered meds to the Knoll Woods facility where he passed away, but nothing could have helped him at that point. Jerry was a brittle diabetic who savored his chocolate shakes and chili dogs...

I miss Jerry, and I discovered the Dead at the very end.. he'd already become an artist and I was pretty disgusted with Mountain Girl.

Anyway, we'll always have the music. Terrapin Station. The Waldorf.

Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: September 05, 2011 11:07PM

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: September 05, 2011 11:14PM

True story:

It was new years eve, 1976. My best friend and I, two denizens of the Sacramento region, had tickets for the Dead concert at Cow Palace, San Francisco. We rolled about twenty joints in advance and put them in a little container. Once in the concert hall, we enjoyed a screening of Reefer Madness (the movie) on a big screen. Then there was a warm up band called Sound Hole. Then the second warm up band, Santana! Gosh it was going good with many joints smoked.

Then this guy approaches me and my buddy with shrooms. I ate more than a handful of the tasty, dried mushrooms and I died.
Or at least I thought I had died. I fell to the floor and hallucinated that I was lying in an open grave. Devil worshippers watched over me as my face tightened into a frightened rictus. My friend picked me up and shook me into a state of near-reality. He had to drag me out and throw me into the car.

I did hear "Sugar Magnolia" before I went down. It was awesome.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 10:58AM

and now I'm hooked on Cherry Garcia ice-cream. I think there's a connection.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 11:08AM

I'm a Deadhead and a Parrothead.

Ron

Posted by: sweet ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 11:13AM

: ) My first two shows were Roanoke VA in 87...then immediately to Philly ...Several times in Pittsburgh...DC...Charlotte..Greensboro...And saw them here in Phx. several years ago.. Still awesome..but miss Jerry. Nothing like them!

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 11:41AM

My best friend was a major Deadhead. We would listen to them for hours. Oh also, I went through a Parrothead phase. I've been to a couple of Jimmy Buffett concerts in Vegas. Those were so damn fun too!

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 11:52AM

I saw them on New Year's Eve, 1971, at Winterland in San Francisco. What a show! I can still remember blowing off a joint just befor the show started. There were also some other chemicals flowing. It was actually the best show I've ever been to. We were up in the balcony on the right side. I saw them once in New York, earlier, at Fillmore East.

Posted by: Freerange Glass ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 12:01PM

Started seeing them as a sophomore in High School (1987). The music, the scene, and the psychedelics were a big part of how I left TSCC. I still dig the occasional loud live shows or Phish and Widespread Panic.

Posted by: Interested ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 12:08PM

Saw them in Teluride '87

Posted by: chainsofmind ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 01:08PM

Saw them in Denver in '92, and a handful of times between then and Jerry's death, including San Diego, Phoenix, Vegas. I still love to see live music, esp MMW, Phish, WSP. I don't consider myself a 'dead head', only a 'head'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2011 01:10PM by chainsofmind.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: September 06, 2011 02:31PM

Not a dead head but I am 420 friendly. However, I came to it late in life.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.