Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: HelpingHand_Tibicen ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 04:48AM

Before I begin my explanation, let me tell you about my childhood friend, Jenna. Her father was a strict LDS and what he saw as "godly" the rest of the neighborhood saw as abuse, rape, child molestation, and things that you just don't do or say to a child and expect salvation of any kind. I saw what he did to my friend, and it still haunts me to this day. Now that I am older and more educated, I feel like I can help. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Of course, the fantasy of the prophet being sent to rot in prison and the consequences of his horrible crimes be returned to him a thousand fold sounds like a beautiful end to such a horrible demon. But until someone takes him out...I understand that little can be done about him.
Jenna's family disappeared to utah years ago. I feel like if someone got in that horrible excuse for a man's face..if someone just cared that this girl was living in hell because of a false prophet fooling her family...my friend could have been spare such a life.

I want to help the people that are still living under such tyranny. I have little money, but I have a home. I have training in women and children's psychology. I have a husband who is equally as passionate. We just need to know what do to to help save those who deserve a better life.

Please, information will be greatly appreciated.

I hope to one day see my friend again and take her far away from those wretched people.

With love and sincerity-

Tibicen

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 04:56AM

Donate to shelters or volunteer somewhere.

DO NOT bring anyone into your home or let them know where you live!!

Posted by: Tibicen ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 05:24AM

I've heard of women needing safe houses for themselves and their daughters. I'm not necessarily a christian, but I feel spritually obligated to help end a woman's abuse...from past experience I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for a complete stranger taking in my mother and me.

Posted by: wings ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 08:31AM

Safe house? For LDS women? I think you mean FLDS. The polygamist group you see on TV news? Things have changed within those communities with the press and coverage.

If your friend was LDS...disappeared into Utah...she probably was not living like those you see on TV. By now, she likely is a grown woman and maybe not even in Utah. She may have left Mormonism. People rarely disappear into Utah. More often, LDS familes move to Utah, the hub of Mormonism. With all of the press around polygamist groups, you may have your friend mixed up with the FLDS group. You seem to have a good heart and wish to do something. I know these issues very well and have some advice.

The place to donate money re: FLDS abuse (what you see on TV).
www.childpro.org
HOW TO HELP on that site will give you an address for donations. Donations is what the group would suggest.

If you want to help any woman in an abusive life, not just specific polygamist women, the local battered women's crisis shelters are a good place to donate or volunteer. I did that off and on for years. You could also work with the homeless shelter, food kitchens, or food banks. Someone needs to pick up the day old bread from the grocers and bakers who donate to the food kitchens for the homeless. Anyone can handle those tasks and get into a system of volunteer effort. Catholic Charities often have some program you can involve yourself with. There are local needs in every community.

I advise you NOT take strangers into your home. Would you be prepared to house 12 children, some teen boys and girls, newborns, three year old boys or girls. Is your home big enough, have enough beds, cribs, diapers, all of the needs of a large family? Do you have food for a dozen people every meal? Shampoo, showers, space, moeny? Weeks of this? Women have never worked and have no skills. You need to feed them, clothe them, find them housing after you help them find jobs, school, daycare, the kids are often, not educated well. The culture shock is major. The kids are often, angry.

Idealistic idea of a woman and daughters for a few nights? Not likely. Women leave with as many of their children as they can take with them.

What next?
Exactly who would take them when you tire of supporting and harboring them? Where would they go next?

Safe house situations, as protrayed on TV, not very realistic from my experience. And I have some.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2011 09:11AM by wings.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.