Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Yewt102 ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 06:03PM

My friend and I are going to picket general conference this year with signs that say something like "There is happiness outside of mormonism... check out exmormon.org"

Any other takers out there?

Also.... does anybody know if we need to get a permit or anything?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 06:06PM

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 10:35AM

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 11:18AM

I want to start a Doo Dah parade in SLC on Conference weekend. If it got big enough, it would have to be carried on the news. I would love to see Doo Dah silliness on the news the same time as the conference is so news dominate!

If you have never gone to a Doo Dah parade in Pasadena (the original) ya really need to go to under stand the experience, pictures just don't cut it. The parade was started as an irreverent alternative to the traditional formality of the Rose Parade.

Read "Contemporary Doo Dah"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doo_Dah_Parade

Pictures:

http://www.google.com/images?q=Doo+dah+parade&oe=utf-8&rls=com.mandriva:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1024&bih=829

Posted by: Flat Lander ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 06:08PM

Perhaps print out 20 or 40 of those print at home business cards with a web address or other helpful information, in the event folks are interested in what you have to say. I suspect if you print out 20 cards, you'll come home with 20 cards, but who knows.

It could give a whole new meaning to "Pass-Along Cards."

Have fun, but remember who you are representing. The eyes of the whole world will be on you. :-)

P.S. - Your mother and I are so proud!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 06:09PM by Flat Lander.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 07:27PM

Let me know when you come to the one where we burn our bras. ;o)

Date: September 22, 2010 07:34PM

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 12:28AM

Date: September 23, 2010 12:33AM

Asking permission is not at all a bad thing. If I want to use my neighbor's lawn mower, I had better ask permission before I use it or I may land in jail for theft.

The owner of this site owns the domain name copy right. Using someone else property without permission is a crime. Respectful, normal people though out the world ask permission for many things, for many reasons, all the time.

Seriously, I would hate to live in a world were nobody asked permission and they took or used what they wanted without regard to the ownership rights.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 12:36AM by MJ.

Posted by: Umm ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 12:28PM

Date: September 23, 2010 12:08AM

I would love permission from exmormon.org

Date: September 23, 2010 12:20AM

They will be able to say if you can use the domain name or not.

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 11:53PM

"Why did Joseph Smith marry 11 women that were already married to living husbands (one after sending her husband on a mission)? If you want to check for yourself, check the LDS geneological site". Then list the names of the married women.

I think for many mos this is a BIG deal. Most of them will see the sign and think you are a liar, but some might go home and look things up.

Posted by: Mo Larkey ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 11:58PM

37 For behold, ye do love money, and your substance, and your fine apparel, and the adorning of your churches, more than ye love the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 08:35AM

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 08:37AM

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 12:11AM

How about a sign, "Welcome to the Great and Spacious Building" out in front of the conference center.

(Although I admit the "Why did JS marry 11 women who were already married" gets my vote.)

Date: September 23, 2010 12:17AM

Thats a good one for sure.

Idk... I was thinking of just saying something welcoming like "closet unbeliever? you're not alone"

A big banner with all of brigham youngs wives could be good too

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 12:18AM

Remember that conference where some of the younger, dumber, more naive Mormons started singing hymns at the protesters with those goofy, self-righteous smiles on their faces? Yeah - like that drugged sociopathic-looking smile wasn't a worse truth about what Mormonism really is than anything the protesters had to offer.

Posted by: Sparky ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 12:34AM

Call me old fashioned, but I think it is the wrong approach.

You'll be lumped in with the fanatical "Christian" exmos who try to get attention.

Trust me...I don't fault you for trying...but I just worry about the unintended consequences.

Steve

PS good luck

Posted by: ExMoLiving2Lives ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 01:25AM

I like the "Welcome to the great and spacious building"...haha!

Date: September 23, 2010 03:02AM

and it's not even a protest, more working the nerves of the faithful. In reality it a flash mob sort of thing and draws its initial inspiration from the kiss arrest at temple square.

Everyone would get a same sex "partner" for the event. At a given time, everyone shows up and starts walking around the area holding hands with their partner. Of course, everyone would need to stay on public property while doing this. Maybe take a camera and take pictures to as tourists. Have a picnic in City Creek Park....

I would so love to watch the expression on the Faithful's faces as they realize there were hundreds of same sex couples walking around them holding hands

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 10:43AM

You would reinforce the LDS persecution complex, further convincing them they're right. You would get lumped in with the evangelicals, badly-informed anti-Mormons and other nut jobs. You will blend in with the general chaos.

Oooo, but you might get on the news or get your picture in the paper or some website. Wouldn't that be an ego boost?

Okay, so maybe you get some sort of cathartic release, some sort of feeling of empowerment from standing up to the man, but don't go imagining it will have any positive effect on anyone else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 10:44AM by Stray Mutt.

Date: September 23, 2010 11:27AM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 11:46AM

Only those who are already doubting would be responsive, and doubters don't make the effort to drag their butt to GC. All you have is a circus of the two extreme views -- the most converted and the least converted. No one is going to budge.

Posted by: Not you! ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 11:15AM

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 12:39PM

When I was TBM, I never listened, I just ignored and walked on past the protesters. And that's fairly typical behavior for a TBM. So I honestly doubt that your protest will do much good. Something short and sweet might do the trick, though, like "Joseph Smith-31 flavors", then list the morg's own geneology site.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 12:53PM

Xenu's Thetans have invaded SLC! You must get audited by the correlation committee headed by a bishop of Ordo Templi Orientis.

---
I'm kidding of course. It's just a way to show that mormondumb is just as insane as scientology.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 12:55PM by Jesus Smith.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.