Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nevermo visitor ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 03:28PM

Just curious about baptisms for the dead - I know that they are supposed to provide the opportunity for the deceased to accept the gospel, but what is the purpose or benefit for the person doing the baptism? And is it like a real baptism, getting dunked and everything, only in the temple? Anything unusual that happens? Any strange stories here (like what I've read about endowment sessions)?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 03:59PM

nevermo visitor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just curious about baptisms for the dead - I know
> that they are supposed to provide the opportunity
> for the deceased to accept the gospel, but what is
> the purpose or benefit for the person doing the
> baptism? And is it like a real baptism, getting
> dunked and everything, only in the temple?
> Anything unusual that happens? Any strange stories
> here (like what I've read about endowment
> sessions)?

I belive the person baptizing the dead person gets an extra "tick" mark next to their name meaning that they get "extra" blessings bestowed on them for baptizing a dead person.

Think of it this way:
Person A-converts to morminism, marries, has kids. lives a good life. Gives 10% on his net income. Is kind, gentle, and respectful of everyone his whole life. Works with the homeless and does lots of charitable work. Baptizes 2 dead people in his life.

Person B--BiC (Born in the Covenant). Raised mormon, has sex before his mission. Lies to new converts on his mission. Marries a mormon girl. Has LOTS of kids he can't pay for. Runs a MLM scam which takes in millions (of which 10% goes to the church). Baptizes 20 dead people.

They both reach the Celestial Kingdom. Person B will have a huge mansion in the nicer neighborhood compared to Person A.
(Yes this is mormon heaven I'm talking about but apparently heaven to mormons is a very physical place where status/a caste system counts)

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 04:29PM

The intangible benefit is that the proxy and officiators get to feel like they are helping lost souls. It also makes you look more spiritual in the eyes of your TBM peers.
Yes it is like a "real" baptism, except the wording is slightly different on account of the person being baptised isn't there so they use a "proxy".
Yes, it is strange.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 05:54PM

Yup, it's just your everyday, run-of-the-mill dunking to save the souls of your ancestors or other dead people.

I was baptised for my very Catholic paternal grandmother at the age of 12. At the time, I thought is was oh-so-spiritual and speshul and now I become a little sick at the memory.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.