Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Steve ( )
Date: September 20, 2011 02:54PM

http://www.danoah.com/2010/09/disease-called-perfection.html

This is a year old but I just read it today so I thought I woulod share. I knew instinctively after only a few paragraphs that this person was raised a mormon, and he was.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nlocnil ( )
Date: September 20, 2011 03:14PM

Holy crap. That article puts into words what I was previously unable to pinpoint about the church. I was willing to stay mormon and keep up the ruse for the sake of the kids and the positive benefits of the mormon church.

But in the end the tipping point was this tenet. Perfection. I don't know where it comes from or how it gets fed to us in the church but it's deeply ingrained in the culture and everything about being a mormon.

Almost all the points in that article spoke to me as if it was written about me.

Posted by: Mrs. Estzerhaus ( )
Date: September 20, 2011 03:37PM

He SHOULD start with, "you're not the only one to have doubts about your religion" then the rest will fall into place. Instead this is one of his imperfections. You know what Mormons do with those? They tell themselves the'll have an eternity to work them out while the Mormon problem is swept under the rug. What a dumb ass, LOL!

Posted by: spreson ( )
Date: September 20, 2011 04:03PM

My mama tried, as in the Meral Haggard song, to raise me better
"perfect" wanted me to be like Jesus....but as close as I could
get was to become a "glutton and a wine bibber"!

Posted by: Ed (not logged in) ( )
Date: September 20, 2011 04:08PM

I couldn't find any information about this on his blog.

Posted by: Steve ( )
Date: September 20, 2011 05:24PM

His FAQ says he was raised LDS and it sounds like he left right around the time he wrote this (a year ago). But that's just my supposition, he did leave the church though at some point. He is now a deist.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 20, 2011 08:04PM

If any doubt this is a problem of MAJOR dimensions, put the word :Perfection: into google or Amazon.

I'm curious to find out if there's any professional literature regarding this syndrome;

Morland would be the 'perfect' place to conduct research!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2011 08:05PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 20, 2011 10:21PM

Catholocism has a similar preoccupation with perfectionism. After a while, I came to see this obsession as being inhumane. I think that you can strive to be a good, decent human being without constantly putting yourself under a microscope.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.