Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 02:19PM

For those of you interested in the REAL ancient America (as opposed to the fictional Book of Mormon kind) here is an interesting article.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110919113846.htm

If you're familiar with "Guns, Germs, and Steel" this research supports Jared Diamond's theory.

What this adds to Diamond's theory is that civilization advanced very slowly in the Americas contrary to the rapid growth as suggested by the BoM. As I see it, this is just one more log on the funeral pyre of Mormonism.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Michaelm ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 02:34PM

Thanks for the link.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 03:23PM

I'm reading the book right now thanks to your prior recommendations. Like it. Lots of things I'd never before considered.

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 04:01PM

"Guns" is by far one of my favorite books and was a true revelation to me. Not only for the way it demolishes the BoM but also for the way it explains the grand scope of human migrations.

A few years ago I had my DNA tested by the National Geographic Genographic Project. What an eye-opener that was!! Like everyone else, my ancestors originated in Africa, migrated east to the Asian Steppes the westward back across Europe much as Jared Diamond describes. Eventually they settled in Germany and then, in the 1800's, migrated to Wisconsin. And here I am in Ohio!

When I think about all the catastrophes, wars, famines, diseases and various calamities the could have ended my lineage, I get goose-bumps. I'm so glad to be here and I love life. What an adventure!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.