Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Every Member a Janitor ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 08:47PM

TBM wife volunteered to help out with music during nursery in order to improve the experience for the little ones. Then she was firmly told that only songs from the primary songbook could be sung. No Old McDonald or Ring Around the Rosie

Later she learned the bishopric wants to ban the use of playdough, a popular staple, at the nursery.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 09:16PM

Well, I personally think the song thing is ridiculous. But the playdough ban I totally understand. There are kids young enough in nursery that will automatically want to eat it and it is HELL to clean up. I have have 2 toddlers and happen to be an expert on the topic of playdough.

I have never seen playdough in any ward nursery I've attended so I'll challenge you that that's a popular nursery staple.

Goldfish crackers and hand sanitizer otoh are nursery staples :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2011 09:18PM by goldenrule.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 09:49PM

We had playdough in our nursery. No problem - we just kept an eye on it. And no one tried to eat it more than once - lol. I've had it all three times I served in nursery. I can understand banning it though. We also had a big, under-the-bed type box full of rice, with sandbox toys in it. It had a lid, so you could control access. It belonged to the other ward, thankfully, and I put it out of sight of our kids - under the cupboard - because that WAS horrendously messy. They had to get rid of it, due to mice.

We got to sing anything we wanted in our last nursery but the Primary President in our last nursery was really easy going. You can pick fairly non-offensive songs in the Primary book but you'll only have about 6 to sing. I've heard that some pretty control-freak leadership types will dictate that you have to use the Primary book. Glad it wasn't me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2011 09:50PM by CA girl.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: September 21, 2011 10:03PM

There is an I'm an exmormon story of a woman who left the church because of the changes made to the nursery program, such as no more fun songs for little ones and teach a doctrinal lesson. When she asked why the changes she was told that the church needed to teach children younger because too many young people were leaving the church. Who comes up with these inspired solutions I wonder.

I don't have the link but should be able to find her story on imanexmormon

D

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.