Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 04:47PM

Well, maybe... Watch the anti-science crowd make hay manure out of this one and say, "See! Science doesn't know everything!"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44629271/ns/technology_and_science-science/#.TnudB0ZD0rg

>GENEVA — Scientists at the world's largest physics lab say they have clocked subatomic particles traveling faster than light, a feat that — if true — would break a fundamental pillar of science.

>The readings have so astounded researchers that they are asking others to independently verify the measurements before claiming an actual discovery.

I congratulate the scientists on their cautionary approach with this one...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: koolman2 ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 05:00PM

I did some math on this, and it looks like the measurement comes out to 0.0025% faster than the speed of light. That is, these particles traveled at 299,799.5 km/s vs. 299,792.5 that we know of as the speed of light.

Posted by: Emma's Flaming Sword ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 06:21PM

Once one sub-atomic particle of an entangled pair is measured the other particle no matter the distance also takes on a definite state. This appears simultaneosly and is faster than light. BTW according to my TBM dad this is how god can communicate over vast distanced- ugh!

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 06:27PM

Distance = rate x time

Quantum entanglement is difficult to grasp because it doesn't seem to fit in the classical model.

I don't know if it's accurate to say that quantum entanglement means "faster than light" because distance doesn't enter into the equation at all. Something else is going on.

And someone with a more experience in quantum mechanics might be able to explain it much better.

It is something that is still being researched to be fully understood.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 07:32PM

since quatum mechanics and Einstein disagree with each other, faster than light isn't a useful statement?

PS, I'm a mere history major, so go easy on me;)

Date: September 22, 2011 07:47PM

Because quantum entanglement is a phenomena that deals with particles without any kind of speed or distance involved. It's more about spin properties etc. It's more dealing with "data" than "movement."

But particles can travel at very high speeds.

Photons, particles of light, are usually traveling the fastest at close to the speed of light.

Furthermore, E=mc^2 describes relationships between relativity and quantum mechanics in some circumstances.

So, if this faster than light IS true, then there are a lot of implications about stuff that physics needs to revisit.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 11:12PM

I read The Elegant Universe after it was reccommended here. So I sort understand what is going on. Looks like I need to work on quantum entanglement.

I love RfM

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 06:29PM

Old news. Federation starships have been travelling faster than the speed of light for years.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 07:49PM

Misfit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Old news. Federation starships have been
> travelling faster than the speed of light for
> years.

All ahead, Warp Factor 8!!!

Posted by: SD ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 06:29PM

a Boyd K. Packer sex act.

Posted by: Zefram Cochrane ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 07:02PM

Sounds interesting, tell me more.

Posted by: omen ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 07:03PM

I thought it was a barrier of sorts. Things that travel slower than light can never exceed light speed, and things that travel faster can never travel slower than light. I haven't read anything on it in a while so I may be wrong.

I'll be really interested in this. Thanks for the post!

Posted by: King Benjamin ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 07:11PM

Because some big ideas about how the universe works hit dead ends because of the assumption that nothing moves faster than light. Very, very, cool.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 07:49PM

hence the barrier broken.... i think....:)
lots of those querky particles in the "Zoo"...the particle zoo!!!

Date: September 22, 2011 08:24PM

just sayin....and i aint sayin i am right either!! :)
may....

Date: September 22, 2011 08:59PM

Date: September 22, 2011 09:40PM

Date: September 22, 2011 08:05PM

Scientists have asked for independent verification.

Someone else must see if they can replicate the results. And that's exactly how the process is supposed to work.

This doesn't happen with the hoaxes like Cold Fusion.

Posted by: Michaelm ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 08:06PM

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 08:09PM

But I thought I read somewhere that something (in theory) could travel faster than the speed of light if it always had. It's the speed of light that can't be crossed. Those things slower can't ever go faster, and those faster can't cross the barrier and go slower.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 08:24PM

My Titleist pro v1 has been travelling faster than the speed of light for years.

Date: September 22, 2011 08:30PM

OOH!!! :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2011 08:30PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 09:21PM

Faster-than-light particles would break a lot of physics. For example, FTL comes hand in hand with non-causality, i.e. time travel.

These kinds of measurements are tricky and need incredible precision. Systematic errors are common in such cases.

Note that quantum entanglement doesn't give you FTL commuication: you can't use it to send information any faster than c. One interpretation of quantum entanglement is that the universe (but not you) can do FTL communication. A better interpretation is that the universe is fixed and no communication is necessary at all.

CZ (pretend physicist)

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 09:39PM

SL Cabbie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> >GENEVA — Scientists at the world's largest
> physics lab say they have clocked subatomic
> particles traveling faster than light, a feat that
> — if true — would break a fundamental pillar
> of science.
>
> >The readings have so astounded researchers that
> they are asking others to independently verify the
> measurements before claiming an actual discovery.

If I may asked, how *does* one "clock" a subatomic particle? In other words, are the United States and Japan capable of testing CERNS's results?

Date: September 22, 2011 09:48PM

there are MANY particle colliders in the US much less the world...Berkely has one, cornell...yada yada yada!

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 10:01PM

You mean this thing:

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/tevatron/

They're shutting down the tevatron on Sept. 30th.

But since there are many that can test CERN's "clocking", when is one expected?

Date: September 22, 2011 10:00PM

Human,

This is where my education definitely stops. But I will search for an answer because it is fascinating.

Date: September 22, 2011 11:18PM

This is the high level explanation.

The electromagnets push the particle like a surfer on a wave heading towards a brick wall.

If you know the energy you put into the particle, you know how the particle will smash against the "wall." You measure the "debris" that comes off the wall, you can calculate the speed.

However! Because you're dealing with particles, electromagnets, and radiation all with extremely sensitive materials, and quantum mechanics equations to get the speed, a lot can go wrong.

That's why it's extremely important to get verification.

Poking around the net, this might be hard to verify right away because they were dealing with neutrinos. And that's some of the newest stuff getting played with right now. Certain colliders may not even be able to deal with the same stuff.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.