Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 01:42AM

I love these sorts of stories. Please indulge me. :-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 02:17AM

I got dumped by my boyfriend, went to a travel agent and said "Send me somewhere warm, cheap, with lots of men". She sent me to Jamaica.

I met DH across the bar at the resort when he was drunk off his a**. True lust blossomed over strawberry daiquiris. I traveled 1500 miles to meet a guy that lived 30 miles from me! That was almost 17 yrs ago and we've been married for 12.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 02:54AM

I had just moved here from another ward about a thousand miles away, and it was maybe my second Sunday, and I didn't really know anybody. I was feeling homesick for my old ward; the new one was much closer to the Zion Curtain and very cliquish.

Suddenly this guy walked up to me with a big smile and said, "Hi, I'm _________, and I understand you're new in the ward."

I was petrified. Newly divorced after 17 years of a rotten marriage, I wasn't used to being single, let alone being approached by guys I didn't know. There wasn't a hair out of place, every tooth gleamed, there wasn't a wrinkle anywhere in his clothes, even his shoes were shined. I remember thinking, "OMG, this HAS to be the most anal person I've ever met!!! My mother would LOVE him!"

He sat down next to me and I guess we chatted, but I don't remember a word we said.

A couple of weeks later, he approached me again before class. He said, "My kids and I are having home-made spaghetti for dinner tonight. Would you like to join us?" I almost offered to bring wine before remembering that Mormons didn't drink. (I was still a newbie.) Imagine - my first date in nearly two decades. Talk about SCARED.

But something just clicked. We've been married for nearly 20 years now. I often refer to him as the best thing I ever got out of Mormonism. . .

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 03:12AM

a bit O' pride here... (DW#1)

I was TDY to a small w.washington town just after coming home from my mish.

I wanted a family atmosphere, so I looked up the Bp. and asked him if any ward families had a room for rent...

after a few months of looking for-at local gals (nothing), the fam i was boarding with came up to me & said: 'Ya Know, we have this gal relative about your age... going to school in UT... 'maybe' you'd like to meet her....

I 'fell in Love' the instant I met her, still am.

'the rest was history'

Good Times; 9 kids, LOTS g.kids; ended when I started to doubt ChurchCos claims.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2011 03:15AM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 07:11AM

In the elevator at work! :)

Ron

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 08:18AM

After a long illness, nowhere to go. She appeared from nowhere.
Even though we are divorced, we remained best friends.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 08:55AM

Loooooooooong story..........

Next April will make 25 years married.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2011 12:19PM by Doxi.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 09:35AM

I moved back to Provo about a month before and found out there was karaoke at City Limits. You didn;t have to buy a membership there, so I started hanging out on Friday nights. A handsome guy with a nice smile offered to buy me a few beers. I declined, but we started talking. After that, I was working a job that required very early hours, so I stopped going to the bar for almost a year. After that job was gone, I went back to City Limits to hang out and the guy was still hanging out there with his motley crew.

One night he asked if he could go home with me and he never left. It will be 6 years next month. :)

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 09:35AM

Short story: We have a mutual friend with whom we both hang out a lot. Our orbits kept crossing until a friendship developed. We ended up supporting each other through respective crises early this year and have been hot & heavy ever since.

Long story:
Kept bumping into the guy at parties and happy hours. One day, found myself in our mutual friend's garage drinking and talking. He asked me if I wanted to go see a band the next week. I went and we hung out a little bit, but it became clear he was only interested in being friends, maybe building up the already-existing friendship some more. I realized he was dating some one and backed off.

A few months later, I bumped into him again. We started hanging out a lot, for a few months. Again, I realized he was seeing someone (who, it was becoming clear, was jerking him around and treating him like crap) and he made it clear we were to be friends only. Again, I backed off, met someone else, and dated him for about six months.

Flash forward six months and my friend and I get in touch with each other when he finds out I had a surgery. He inquired to see if I was okay (I am) and then told me that he had a very serious condition and was also having surgery. I stayed in touch with him throughout his ordeal (he had to go out of town for this surgery) and then afterward, went to visit him. Both of us were weakened and vulnerable and needed a safe place to land. We'd been friends at this point for around 3 years, so it was just sort of natural we'd gravitate to each other. The girl who'd been jerking him around had bolted at the first signs of his illness, and right after my surgery I dumped the guy I was seeing for general douchebaggery and lack of respect and support.

I've been supporting him through his recovery ever since and he's been supporting me through my difficulties. Now I get to sleep with my best friend and I always have a shoulder to cry on, a buddy to laugh with, and someone I can depend on when I need help. Couldn't be happier.

Posted by: Matt nli ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 10:03AM

At work. We were both trainees. She was cute and knitting in a rather vicsious (sp?) way.

I was hooked. On May 4 1989...

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 10:03AM

I met my husband in a chat room back in 1999. ;-) He was a TBM who had just re-joined the Army National Guard full-time and was separated from his TBM ex. I had just started grad school.

We discovered we had a lot of things in common and soon moved our mostly platonic conversations to Yahoo! Messenger. Meanwhile, he and his ex got divorced. I was very impressed that even though he was separated from his ex wife, he kept our conversations strictly friendly until the divorce was final. And even after that, he was very respectful.

I was nervous about meeting him in person because I was new to the Internet. But we knew each other pretty well. And, as it turned out, my aunt's brother was a member of the National Guard and a retired state trooper. Two months before we met in person, my aunt's brother actually met my online friend at a National Guard convention. My aunt's brother checked him out and told me he was okay.

I met my husband in person about 18 months after we "met" online when he was in town on business in Columbia, SC, the city where I was living at the time. We enjoyed a couple of cheap dates over a few days. He was very broke at that time, thanks to the divorce. I will never forget opening my apartment door to see him standing there. He gave me a big hug and I immediately felt very comfortable with him.

A few months after we met in person, he moved from Kansas to Virginia, which is my home state. We were able to see each other more frequently as I finished up my last year of grad school. He started working at the Pentagon in August 2011 and was there on 9/11. We got engaged not too long after that.

He ditched the garments in the fall of 2001 and started drinking beer and coffee again (he and his ex were converts). He resigned from the church in 2006.

In November, we will head to Antigua to celebrate our 9th anniversary. We'll catch the SeaDream 1 for a weeklong Southern Caribbean cruise to Barbados. I have to say, I could not have asked for a better partner. I still can't believe how we met, though. The Internet was the last place I thought I'd find a husband.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2011 10:04AM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 10:06AM

My wife and I met in middle school drama class. We were cast together as Captain and Maria von Trapp in a musical montage of The Sound of Music. We sang a duet of "Edelweiss" together, which was good for me, because I sucked and she had (has) a beautiful, rich voice. She quickly developed a crush on me, but I was clueless. I liked her, and I really liked the attention, but I was thirteen and didn't know anything about girls.

One day as I was walking home from school, she tackled me in an attempt to kiss me. We laughed as we picked ourselves off the ground, and after that I walked her home. I continued to walk with her for the rest of that year.

We were kind of off and on throughout high school - mostly off. She wanted a more physical relationship, and I was uptight. We reconnected while I was out on my mission. We were married within six months of my return home. We celebrated our tenth anniversary this past April.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 11:20AM

A bit of background:- I had moved to Salt Lake City from Nova Scotia, Canada and always said, "I'll date but not sure I want to _marry_ an American as I will probably go back to Canada and besides that I know I'll never marry a guy who would be in the military."

My co-worker who had just married said she and her husband had a friend (previous roommate of her husband's) that she would like me to meet and they were having a get holiday together at another mutual friends home. It was Xmas time.

We all were nurses and the guys were all Air Force Officers going to University of Utah.

I said, "Yes".

Next day at work I said, "I've changed my mind about going out with that guy what's-his-name. I don't like blind dates and I don't really want to date a military guy."

Co-worker: "Helen, we already told him you had accepted."

Me: "No, I changed my mind. I HATE blind dates!"

Co-worker: "It's a little late to back out now and it's not like we are asking you to marry him. If you don't like him you don't have to go out with him again."

Me: "Okay I'll go but I HATE, HATE, blind dates and I could kick myself for agreeing in the first place."

Co-worker: "I think you'll like him; he's really a nice guy."

Me: "Sure, sure." Said sarcastically.

Well the blind date calls me and asks me out as he thought it would be nice to meet each other before the actual get together.

The rest is history.

Fell head-over-heels. I use to tell my best friend who believed that people can fall in love at first sight that that is just plain crazy. I said that you've got to get to know a person first. So I come back from that first date and told my best friend, " Please don't say I told you so, but I've just met the man I'm going to marry!"

That first date will be 45 years ago in December and we will celebrate our 44th. wedding anniversary January 2012.

and BTW our first date was to see the lights on temple square :-)

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 11:53AM

After I got back from Operation Just Cause (2 1/2 months of boredom) I went to visit my old room-dog, who "got out" 6 months before and was attending college 2 hours from post. We went out on a beer run around 5:30pm, and were driving down the main drag, and 2 Hot Betty's pulled along side us and started a convo. We quickly deduced we were being chatted up to buy their booze for them(underage), and my quick thinking room-dog said "I've got a better idea. Why don't you save your money and come over to my apartment, where we are having a big college party and you can drink for free..." They seemed to like the idea and agreed to follow us over to his apt.

I asked room-dog "I didn't know we were having a party, what's up?" He replyed "when we get there get them drinking, and keep them entertained, and I'll get on the phone and call all my buddies and get enough to come over for a party". It was a large university and this shouldn't have been a problem, but unknown to him there was a home basketball game against a hated rival that night, and everyone was at the game. So he left messages of SOS to all and hoped they would get them. Meanwhile I am trying to entertain, keep the booze flowing, and generaly speaking, trying to keep the 2 Dorothy's from looking behind the curtain. His next door neighbors (2 dudes) were home and they came over for a while, and they informed us of the ball game. My quick thinking room-dog said "yeah, everyone is coming over after the game for the party, so we will just play some drinking games until they get here". and amazingly enough they bought it.

So we played every drinking game we knew started with "quarters", move on to "chandaleers", then as coordination started to leave the room, moved on to "bullshit" "rumpty-dump" and the "question game". By the time the ballgame was over and no one showed up they were too drunk to care. During all the games it became apparent that future Mrs. jon1 was interested in me, and I was pumped because she was smoking hot! We seperated off for a cigarette, and the rest is history.

We are 20 years into a wonderful marriage!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2011 11:55AM by jon1.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 12:41PM

and there was always this woman there that was my mortal enemy. She would hit on any guy that paid attention to me (overtly and awkwardly-- she came across as totally desperate), and she was always trying to out-do me (she would blatantly rip off my unconventional fashion choices). I really don't know what her problem with me was, but she picked a fight with the wrong girl. Mean girl shit don't work on me-- I'm the real deal. I'm not insecure and I don't play those games. So, I knew about her bizarre vendetta against me because a few of her friends got sick of it, introduced themselves to me, told me about it (as if I couldn't tell) and started hanging out with my crew.

Anyway, as it turns out, her ever-so-patient boyfriend was a mutual friend of some of my friends and of course I was instantly interested in getting to know him, since I knew it would epically bother her. Turns out, we had chemistry-- and boy didn't she know it-- drove her crazy enough to be quite nasty to me (which I thought was hilarious). He stopped seeing her and the rest is history. That was in 1997.

My motives were not pure, but our attraction was. I adore him and I'm so happy to spend my life with him.

Posted by: flash ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 12:41PM

After ending an 8 year “Celestial marriage” from hell to a “white but not delightsome” TBM female, I was introduced to a Malaysian girl who worked at my company in Penang through a mutual friend. Because my electronics company has worldwide offices and manufacturing plants, we had access to unmetered company telephones and to the inter-company email & chat room type capability of the day. This was before the internet was available as we know it today so we had in essence then the equivalent of today's email and Instant Messaging. We were ahead of our time in 1990.

Over the course of a year she phoned me every day during her lunch hour which was 10pm for me, emailed each other every day and posted snail-mail to when we wanted to send pictures. In those days, you could not send pictures through the email. I took a month vacation to Malaysia to spend time with her and later she came to the US to spend a month with me. We both fell in love with each other & we both felt we were made for each other. A lot of her interests were similar to mine and we enjoyed being with each other tremendously. Surprisingly, her family was very accepting of me in spite of the fact I was an Orang Putih (white man) and they were wishing I would stay in Malaysia and marry her there.

Being very cautious to not make a marriage mistake again, I made sure that she really loved me as much as I loved her. I felt I found a soul-mate and we married a year later here in the US. Six months after we married, we brought some of her family members to the US so they could meet my family. All worked out well between our families.

After 21 years, I am still happily married to this Malaysian girl and how wonderful it is to be in a real marriage where real love is returned for real love given and I can say with conviction that there is nothing sweeter than the love of an Asian woman.

Posted by: transplant in texas ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 12:57PM

short story: met in college

longer version: we met at the singles ward and clicked immediately. we were hanging out together once after an activity & couldnt stop talking so he asked if i wanted to go run a couple errands with him. then he mentioned later, "hey there's this great restaurant next door, wanna go to lunch?" my parents raised me to assume dutch and i was stone-cold broke and while turning pink managed to stammer out that i had no money for going out, i'd been planning to eat back at the the university cafeteria. he was like, "oh, no prob, lunch is on me!" and we had a great time. by the end of the day he'd invited me to join his ballroom dance class (which i did) and one day a month later while he walked me home it sorta became "official" even though pretty much everyone around already knew it. love is blind but your friends arent!! 13 years later we still are best friends, love to ballroom dance, love to debate deep topics, and we still cant keep our hands off each other...my husband's a great guy

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 12:58PM

My DH and I kind of met through a friend of mine, mostly because we kept running into each other at parties. I actually had a boyfriend at the time but I really wanted to get to know future DH a little better. He wanted to ask me out too but found out I had a boyfriend. Anyway, we ended up kissing for the first time at my friend's house who was throwing a party. (It seems like somebody was always throwing a party back then). We have been together for a total of 14 years now.

I kept trying to break up with this other guy but he wouldn't do it over the phone. I ended up meeting him in person just to break up. That was awkward.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 01:46PM

I needs me someone to love. Don't none of you RfM'ers have doggies?

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 01:47PM

But not the juicy details :D
While deployed with the National Guard, I got assigned to a remote outpost near the border. (OK, I volunteered and really fought for that assignment). First day there, my co-worker said I should meet this interpreter and use him for translation any time I can, since he's the best one here. My sweetheart said it was love at first sight, but he didn't let me know that, especially since I was still married at the time. My marriage had been going downhill for a while, and my husband at the time had just brought up the D-word a few weeks earlier (he's also in the National Guard). I worked with my interpreter and soon became close friends. He and his buddies used to sneak alcohol onto the base, and I started drinking with them - I was newly apostasized and thought, why not? (Even though technically it's a violation of orders, the commanders don't care that much about drinking.) Then I went on a patrol walking through bushes with thorns, got one in my leg and thought nothing of it. A few days later I was sick, vomiting and exhausted - thought it was some kind of flu. I was hanging out with the interpreters and kind of passed out on a cot. Next thing I know, a soldier comes in looking for an interpreter, sees me just waking up, turns around and walks out. I was charged with adultery and sent back to Bagram, where the charges were dropped. In a way, it was good because I had a high fever and couldn't really keep food down for a few weeks, so I wouldn't have done well on that outpost. I stayed in contact with my interpreter friend through this ordeal, feeling like he was the only one I could really trust. TBM husband, of course, didn't care that I was sick, thought I was cheating on him, and was shocked when I told him without remorse that I drank alcohol and occasionally smoked cigars. I divorced him as soon as we got back to the US. Meanwhile my interpreter friend was writing me poetry (what's hotter than a poet-warrior?) and I fell completely in love with him.
I know, the whole thing sounds too crazy to be true, but sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 01:51PM

A co-worker of mine had a freind she always wanted me to meet. Her freind and I were both divorced. One weekend, my co-workers hubby was playing with his band in Vernonia Oregon, and she invited a bunch of friends to go, including me and her girl friend she wanted me to meet....but it wasn't set up as a date....just getting a bunch of people in the same place for music, dancing, pool, drinks, etc.

So we met at the Lions Den in Vernonia, seemed to enjoy each others company, so I asked her out as we all left the bar and she said OK.

We went out a couple times, then I started travelling a lot for my job and a couple years went by and we went on a couple more dates. The a couple more years went by and we went on a couple dates.

Then a year or so went by and I had just finished up a CD of original songs in my home studio, so I sent a copy to her through my co-worker friend. She liked the songs and said she felt like anyone that could put what I did into my music was alright. I think she felt some honesty and love in my songs. Maybe enough to trust that I was OK.

She wasn't sure what to do, so one day she went for a walk and was thinking and thinking about what to do.....open up to me or not. I wasn'yt thinking anything at that time, just checking with her like we had done before. While she was deliberating with herself, she sort of internally asked the universe for a sign of some kind to help her know what to do. She looked up and saw a street sign.....the street sign was my first name. She called me for a date...we went out a few times and this time she felt different. More open to a relationship. So now I had to decide if I was going to go for it. We always liked each other, but we both held off on trying get serious previously.

We kept seeing each other this time, fell in love. 6 years together and 4 of them married....both of us have never been happier:) She a never-mo and has been a great inspiration for many new songs I've wrtten.

I'm playing a set in Portland, OR in two weeks if anyone wants info....singer/songwriter, folk type stuff, all original. E-mail me if you want.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 02:13PM

Sad-yes, but we were both TBM hardcore. I was 18, he was 19. He had just come home from his 3 day mission (hehe)and was planning on going back out again but plans changed.

~13 years this January and 4 kids later~

Posted by: tofino ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 02:15PM

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 04:08PM

She still is, but not at work. Just at home ;)

6 years and counting...

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 05:40PM

but he wasn't mormon. He talked me into dating him, asked me to marry him and I turned him down. He moved away. I got married 5 years later to my ex. He left me at 11 years (for a man). I kept in touch with one of this guy's friends and I found out almost 7 years ago that he was getting a divorce. I had our old boss call him--and we've been "together" since through a long distance relationship until May of this year when I started spending 3/4ths of my month at his house in Colorado.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 05:41PM

Posted by: BestBBQ ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 10:59PM

We were introduced by a 6'8", 300lb, gay, Wiccan priest. He was a mutual friend. He and the spouse were friends in high school and college and he and I both volunteered at our local public radio station.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 11:46PM

Posted by: americangirl406 ( )
Date: September 24, 2011 01:01AM

I was sixteen and my hubby eighteen when we met on the high school track team :) he was super shy so I did all the flirting. It was well worth it! We got married three years ago this December.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2011 01:04AM by americangirl406.

Posted by: OzDoc ( )
Date: September 24, 2011 01:17AM

I was senior resident in the ER of our major teaching hospital.

After midnight on a Friday night when the usual patients were drug addicts,drunks and/or transvestites he booked in.I was pissed that the triage nurse assigned him to me. He had been hit in the face at squash and his team mates(2 of whom were doctors at smaller hospitals)told him to bypass the smaller hospitals & go to the major-pulling his leg a bit.

Turned out I was acquainted with someone he worked with. When he saw her at work he asked for my name which he had forgotten, rang me at the hospital & asked me out.

We have been married 32 years next month.

Posted by: anon totally ( )
Date: September 24, 2011 01:51AM

Kinky, I guess. I wanted to explore spanking for fun. Gentle fun. I found the exact match and we have many more things in common like our spiritual beliefs. NOT BDSM or any such thing at all. We are human animals, we have differing reactions to human touch. It's ok. It's normal. I don't feel weird because I found my match there. Five years and lots of fun.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.