Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: colonelmoroni ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 01:01PM

I was in a discussion with a true believer friend of mine, and the Adam God thing came up. He agreed that BY probably said that, but only as a man and that he never said it "officially". I told him I though he (or it was) taught it in the temple, or at least it was included in some part of the temple ceremony. He said the problem was that there were no temples during BY's time...ie, in Utah.
I'm not sure if my statement about it being taught in the temple is correct or not, but that was my understanding.
If I am correct, does anyone have a credible reference? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 01:46PM

colonelmoroni Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>... He said the problem was that
> there were no temples during BY's time...ie, in
> Utah.

The St. George temple was dedicated before BY died. And endowments had been performed in the Endowment House for most of BY's lifetime.

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 01:50PM

Not to mention, Wife No. 19 specifically discusses the temple ritual during Brigham Young's time.

Posted by: snowowl ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 04:00PM

"Now hear it, O inhabitants of the earth, Jew and Gentile, Saint and sinner!
When our father Adam came into the garden of Eden, he came into it with a celestial body, and brought Eve, one of his wives, with him. He helped to make and organize this world. He is Michael, the Archangel, the Ancient of Days! about whom holy men have written and spoken--He is our Father and our God, and the only god with whom we have to do. Every man upon the earth, professing Christians or nonprofessing, must hear it, and will know it sooner or later. . .

When the Virgin Mary conceived the child Jesus, the Father had begotten him in his own likeness. He was not begotten by the Holy Ghost. And who is the Father? he is the first of the human family: . . .

Jesus, our elder brother, was begotten in the flesh by the same character that was in the garden of Eden, and who is our Father in Heaven. Now, let all who may hear these doctrines, pause beore they make light of them, or treat them with indifference, for they will prove their salvation or damnation."
Prophet Brigham Young, 'Journal of Discourses', Vol. 1, pp. 50- 51, a sermon preached April 9, 1852

"I tell you more, Adam is the Father of our spirits. He lived upon an earth; he did abide his creation, and did honor to his calling and Priesthood; and obeyed his master or Lord, and probably many of his wives the same, and they lived, and died upon and earth, and then were resurrected again to Imortality and Eternal life. . .

I tell you, when you see your Father in the Heavens, you will see Adam; when you see your Mother that bear your spirit, you will see Mother Eve."
Brigham Young, discourse October 8, 1854, quoted in: 'The Essential Brigham Young,' Signature Books, 1992, pp. 96, 99

"Some have grumbled because I believe our God to be so near to us as Father Adam. There are many who know that doctrine to be true."
Brigham Young, October,7, 1857, 'Journal of Discourses,' vol. 5, p. 331.

"How much unbelief exists in the minds of the Latter-day Saints in regard to one particular doctrine which I revealed to them, and which god revealed to me--namely that Adam is our Father and God . . ."
Brigham Young, 'Deseret News,' June 18, 1873

". . . Father Adam came here and helped make the earth. . . . Then he said, 'I want my children who are in the spirit world to come and live here. . . . I want my children that were born to me in the spirit world to come here and take tabernacles of flesh . . ."
Brigham Young, 'Deseret News,' June 18, 1873.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 05:49PM

And, not just once, either. Sometimes there are many references to a single event in their history and lots of commentary.

Too bad the LDS manuals for Sunday School don't cover the real history! ahh..that won't happen. It did in the 50's at BYU, but not anymore. They have to protect the delicate testimonies, ya know!

Posted by: colonelmoroni ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 07:31PM

Thanks all. Very much appreciated

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.