Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Almost Out ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 11:10AM

Last night I was watching the Shawn McCraney show. He said he had seen renderings of the new temple in Rome, they apparently have a big cross above the front doors. Has anyone heard anything about this? Pretty soon there will be crosses on all of those new steeples they have been putting on the chapels. We'll show them were christian!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: voice of reason ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 11:23AM

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 11:24AM

www.ldschurchtemples.com/rome/

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 11:24AM

I looked at the video with the design of the temple (link below) and didn't see anything like a cross.

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/rome/video/

But I have also run across a BoM CD by Jennifer Wilson (link below) that clearly has a cross on the front. Has anyone else seen anything lately that may indicate Mormon acceptance of the cross as a religious symbol?

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Of-Mormon/dp/B003XCQEQ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1289406159&sr=8-1-catcorr

Posted by: voice of reason ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 11:28AM

Jennifer Wilson's CD cover choice is to help her sell more CD's, not to be confused with church doctrine changes.

Date: November 10, 2010 02:24PM

Posted by: John Lorz ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 04:53PM

No wonder none of you can see it!

You can only see the cross by the power of the Holy Ghost.

Sheesh!

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 12:04PM

I've been to Rome many times and it's the eternal city. Everything there is old and historical. The cosmic Kolob trip lit up at night is just going to be so wrong there. Rome is about ruins, fountains, historical buildings dating all the way back to Roman times. A lit up Las Vegas styled wedding chapel has no place there.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 01:47PM

Seriously.

Posted by: dit ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 01:56PM

Wow, a cross on an album that clearly states Book of Mormon. Voice of reason, you sound like an apologist!

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 02:09PM

All those lovely cyprus trees on the site will have to go! They need space for all that cement work, and all those steps to nowhere, and a huge parking lot for the thousands of people who will flock there.

Mormons! Show some RESPECT for a city's beauty and antiquity for once!

Good Lord! Who designs those buildings? Or should I ask, Who's relativez design those buildings?

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 03:02PM

Italy is primarily Catholic and a cross proably helps the missionaries there. But yes! I have the feelng of many others concerning mormons aiming to become mainsteam.
But if they claim to be cristians like any other church, why bother with tithes, temples, garments etc. Just won't happen.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 04:57PM

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 07:11PM

Temple Facts
The Rome Italy Temple will be the twelfth temple built in Europe and the first built in Italy and in the Mediterranean region.

A charming Italian villetta, which stood at the highest point of the temple site, was razed to make way for the Rome Italy Temple. The villetta served for a time as an apartment for the full-time missionaries.

Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 07:21PM

On the above video look at 1:58 into the video and you will see a big cross on the front door!

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 12:40AM

looks like a cross to me ... thanks "what is wanted".

I'm curious now -- I wonder if the Tokyo Temple has some shinto symbolism?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 07:54AM

...it's really two 3-panel doors. As the angle changes, the cross pieces delineating the lower panels get burned out by the highlight. But it's all just CGI anyway.

One thing that's completely accurate, though, is there are no people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2010 07:57AM by Stray Mutt.

Date: November 11, 2010 12:49PM

I'll have to mention that to my TBM wife ... crosses make her heave (spiritually). Hahaha

Posted by: phyllis ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 01:38AM

i agree with what is wanted, there's a brown cross on the main door. never seen any crosses on mormon buildings before, very interesting.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 07:42AM

Well, that settles the argument: mormons _are_ Christian ...

<blech>

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 11:28AM

Yawn. That thing looks so uninspired. Another McTemple in Rome.

They need to let some talented architecht really go wild with one of these. Oh wait...that would chase away the spirit--just like music that does not have the approved tempo.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 12:03PM

1. I hope Mormons are starting to use the cross. I think it looks cool and I'm sick of people saying things like "If your son got shot by a gang, would you wear the bullet around your neck?" It shows how little Mormons understand about Christ. Traditional Christians believe he laid down his life for his people willingly - he wasn't killed by gangsters and one of these days I'm going to answer "I might wear the bullet if my son was killed trying to save me - to remember his sacrifice and what I was worth to him." The whole Mormon anti-cross thing is beyond stupid.

2. The Italian temple looks almost as much like a space ship as the Provo and Ogden temples. Of all the places in the world to demonstrate that terrible Mormon bad taste...... honestly!

Posted by: bobcat ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 12:43PM

It wouldn't occur to The Brethren to approve a design which was created after the manner of all of the other beautiful, historic buildings, now would it? No, they've got to have some butt-ugly angular structure with no thought to classical architecture smack in the middle of stunning Renaissance works of art, just to say, "We Mormons are here, we're THE true church!" I wonder if they are playing those dippy, "We're Mormons & normal," adds on Italian TV & radio. Why are the citizens of Rome even tolerating the building of this Morg monstrosity? Rubicon & forestpal hit the nail on the head!

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 01:57PM

A parthenon inspired temple design would have rocked! You know, "multiple Gods" and all.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.