Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Exmogal ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 07:13AM

Remember the 1970s novel about drugs, Go Ask Alice?

I remember reading it but had no idea the author was Mormon. Nor that she (a psychologist from Provo) claimed it was a real diary, that she had merely edited...

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_Ask_Alice

Wikipedia says about it:

Go Ask Alice was originally promoted as nonfiction and was published under the byline "Anonymous."

However, not long after its publication, Beatrice Sparks, a psychologist and Mormon youth counselor, began making media appearances presenting herself as the book's editor.

Searches at the U.S. Copyright Office show that Sparks is the sole copyright holder for Go Ask Alice. Furthermore, she is listed on the copyright record as the book'sauthor — not as the editor, compiler, or executor, which would be more usual for someone publishing the diary of a deceased person. (According to the book itself, the sole copyright is owned by Prentice-Hall.)

I suppose it could have been a fabrication of Sparks' or could have been a mix of fabrication and truth. I don't think that with today's book publishing standards, one could get away with that. Or could they?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Michaelm ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 07:21AM

Jay's Journal was by the same author.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay's_Journal

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 08:50AM

Posted by: silverlightx ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 08:56AM

Let's see...someone makes up a story about someone who is dead, publishes it as a diary, and tries to simultaneously claim that the book is true but they are also the author. Where have we heard this before?

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 09:11AM

I'm always struck by people determined to be gullible sheep. Not sure whether to be amused or horrified. Perhaps I should feel more compassionate, because I think most fanaticism springs from fear. But fakes like this should always be exposed...they are profit-driven moral panic-exploiting frauds.

Posted by: tofino ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 01:36PM

Great song and awesome EJ album

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 01:48PM

Go Ask Alice, as stated by Ron, was in White Rabbit by the Jefferson Airplane

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 01:39PM

Reminds me of a story. When I was at YBU, I called the local radio station and asked them to play White Rabbit. The DJ said he can't because it's a family network of stations.

Two days later, the same DJ is playing Lucy in the Skies with Diamonds. I called and asked WTF? His reponse was that it wasn't about drugs.

Idiot.

Ron

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.