Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Southern Redneck ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 09:06PM

I once had an electronic copy of the church handbook and cannot find it to get an answer to a question I need. If a family is split religiously is it in the handbook that to keep the peace a person can skip tithing and still get a temple recommend.

I say this because my wife wants her TR, but I am not confortable with her tithing. I thought there was an exemption in cases like ours. I would never stop her, but I would not be happy.

Also if you have a copy what page, line and rule number would help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 09:11PM

And it's a good thing too since she made a whole hell of a lot more than I. Unfortunately, I don't have any reference for you, only personal experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 09:12PM by elderborracho.

Date: October 05, 2011 09:25PM

I found a copy of the 2006 online and it does not mention this as an exemption and neither does the 1999 copy. I suspect that this is a local thing and it is up to the Bishop. Damn! I was hoping that me simply saying 'not comfortable' would defize the situation. Unless the church got way more liberal between 2006 and 2010 then it looks like she's going to have to tithe to get her TR>

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 09:33PM

the closest I've ever heard of on this is...that if one spouse objects, that the other only pay on 1/2 of the family income. Perhaps that could be tweaked to be applied to only tithing on the 'worthy' member's earnings/income.

Whatever.

ChurchCo has substituted a bunch of Silly/Weird Rules & Regulations in place of Love for God & Neighbor....
Proving how gullible the sheeple are, look at how many follow it!

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 09:41PM

In our ward there were a couple of people whose inactive spouses refused to let them waste family resources on tithing. They were given Temple Recommends because they were faithful in all other areas and since they had declared being unable to pay due to spousal disapproval, it was not held against them.

At Tithing Settlement time they were given Exempt status which meant that they owed no tithing and were under no penalty.

If you flat out refuse to allow her to squander the family income, but she is active and otherwise fully compliant she should be able to get her TR.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 10:23PM

Date: October 05, 2011 10:40PM

Cannot PM as you're not logged in

Posted by: blacksheep ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 10:26PM

I remember my dad saying that if a husband disapproved, the wife was exempt since somehow he was still head of the home. But not the other way around. I also remember something weird about wearing garments if your spouse wasn't a member. Anyone know about that?

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 10:38PM

I think its all up to how much of an A$$ her bishop wants to be. According the the handbook, the only type of income that isn't tithe-able is church welfare assistance.

Date: October 06, 2011 12:05AM

Misfit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think its all up to how much of an A$$ her
> bishop wants to be. According the the handbook,
> the only type of income that isn't tithe-able is
> church welfare assistance.

That is what I am worried about. Add to that the fact that they have not bothered me in several years worries me. If I do start this conflist they may try to love-bomb me, or call me to repentence. I likely will try to make a casual call to the bishop and talk man to man...or man to church tool.

Date: October 05, 2011 11:05PM

I've shared this before, I think it bears repeating on this thread. A few years ago, I declared part-tithepayer status at tithing settlement. Our Bishop at the time wanted to confiscate both of our tithing recommends right there on the spot. When I said something about my wife paying a full tithe on her income, he said it didn't matter. His position was that my income is half hers, so if I don't pay a full tithe on my income, its like she hasn't paid a full tithing either. I stopped paying tithing altogether as a New Year's resolution in January of 2010, a year later. I told my wife we'll figure something out before the end of the year so she can keep her recommend. Halfway through the year, we got a new bishop. DW still has her recommend. The new Bishop's opinion is that as long as she pays tithing on her income, she can have a recommend.

Bottom line: It all depends on the bishop.

Date: October 05, 2011 11:07PM

OOps, make that Temple recommend, not tithing recommend. Although it may as well be called a tithing recommend.

Date: October 06, 2011 12:08AM

Misfit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've shared this before, I think it bears
> repeating on this thread. A few years ago, I
> declared part-tithepayer status at tithing
> settlement. Our Bishop at the time wanted to
> confiscate both of our tithing recommends right
> there on the spot. When I said something about my
> wife paying a full tithe on her income, he said it
> didn't matter. His position was that my income is
> half hers, so if I don't pay a full tithe on my
> income, its like she hasn't paid a full tithing
> either. I stopped paying tithing altogether as a
> New Year's resolution in January of 2010, a year
> later. I told my wife we'll figure something out
> before the end of the year so she can keep her
> recommend. Halfway through the year, we got a new
> bishop. DW still has her recommend. The new
> Bishop's opinion is that as long as she pays
> tithing on her income, she can have a recommend.
>
> Bottom line: It all depends on the bishop.

This tithe would be just on her income. The thing is that we really love each other enough that since she knows I am bothered she asked if she could tithe. I of course said I would never stop her, but I would not be happy. She would never tithe on my income, and if they try to say she was a part tithe payer because I wasn't one she easily would quit paying...she hates mind games as much as I do.

Posted by: andyb ( )
Date: October 07, 2011 06:22PM

I have never once received an invoice or notice of any kind from the church for tithing....maybe the fact I've not attended a regular meeting since 1971 might have something to do with that....I've still on the books I guess as I occasionally get a call to attend something or other...I usually tell the to go away or just hang up....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.