Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catholiclady ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 08:17PM

so my TBM dad came to my house yesterday and my husband said he shook his hand real weird. he like barely gripped in the middle of his hand with his first finger out or something and my husband thought it was strange so he looked it up on the internet today cuz we had read before how mormons have secret handshakes. and the one my dad did was to see if some one was possessed by the devil or something? sooo my husband and i thought that was rather offensive. but like do they seriously believe they can do that?? tell if someone is possessed by a handshake??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 08:33PM

This might give you some information:

http://nowscape.com/mormon/handshake.htm

Date: October 06, 2011 08:44PM

so if they shake your hand and you dont feel them they're the devil. are you serious right now?

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 08:47PM

I thought that only applied to spirits.The first time I heard it I was a kid and one of my schoolmates told me. I thought he made it up. Hopefully this guy doesn't think your husband is a ghost. LOL

Date: October 06, 2011 09:04PM

This is just part of the stupidity of the Church Division of LDS Corp. They teach this nonsense, and the members believe. This is an example of one of the many ridiculous and stupid things that are taught to its members, but not disclosed during the "missionary discussions," unfortunately.

Posted by: eldorado ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 08:46PM

Your husband should meet my husband, acording to some of his Mormon coworkers he is a fallen angeal. I wish someone could expalin to me why his coworkers keepmtelling him he is a fallen angeal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2011 08:47PM by eldorado.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 09:21PM

When/where do they teach this? And they actually believe it?

Date: October 06, 2011 09:52PM

This was shared in sporadic Priesthood meetings. I heard it in the 1960s. I don't know if it was part of the lessons at that time, or if the teacher was straying off topic. But when they did talk about it, they would whisper, as if this was too holy/secret/sacred to speak out loud (as if somebody who wasn't supposed to know about this might hear...)

Date: October 06, 2011 09:54PM

Or maybe too stupid for anyone else to hear.

Date: October 06, 2011 09:31PM

Joseph Smith gave instrutions on how to tell an evil spirit from an angel and one of the ways is by handshakes. It is stupid and, like I said, the first time I heard it, I thought the kid telling me was making it up.I never heard it talked about at church. It is probably one of those things like polygamy, the Adam God doctine and God getting it on with the soon to be not Virgin Mary.They would rather forget about it.

Date: October 06, 2011 10:05PM

maybe not forgotten if my dad's trying it on my husband..

Date: October 06, 2011 10:12PM

Probably not because it only applies to shaking hands with a spirit or angel. Presumably your husband is neither. I have never heard of handshakes being used to determine possession although there are secret handshakes used in the temple.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 07, 2011 11:05AM

bona dea

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2011 11:05AM by wine country girl.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 10:03PM

I don't recall being able to determine whether someone is possessed or not by a handshake. So, as it relates to your situation, I doubt there was anything suspicious going on.

There are those secret clubhouse handshakes that can get mormons into heaven (linked above), but I don't know of any instance, other than in the temple, that those would ever be used.

And... Smith taught about discerning the status of "angels," whether or not it's a good spirit or a bad spirit. It can be found here: http://lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/129?lang=eng

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 10:18PM

Yes, your husband is the devil. You should be very afraid of this particular fairy tale.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 07, 2011 10:44AM

He can ask: "What is that?" "Has it a name?"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.