Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 04:44PM

I have only one, and you'll immediately see that my example doesn't count.

My son was on a mission in Quebec when Quebec and NY had that awful ice storm. It would have been 1997 or 1998. Anyway, life came to a halt and people were without services for weeks in some areas. It was a true disaster High-tension lines actually crumpled to the ground.

The missionaries were told to seek shelter in the local churches. My son and others from his zone slept on cots in the local ward building and the Relief Society sisters were tasked with bringing them breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The missionaries played basketball and dodgeball for the better part of a week.

How sweet is that? Poor RS sisters shopping, cooking, and driving in the midst of all that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 13, 2010 12:50PM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 01:20PM

Those claiming the LDS church DOES shelter disaster victims need to supply the truth.

That said, a poster here from Washington lost his house in a flood. He (an exmo) and non-member neighbors were taken in at a shelter set up at one of the wards. So it happens once in a while.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: November 13, 2010 01:22PM

January 1998, was living in Ottawa at the time and eastern Ontario got whalloped as well. Think what was open for use more or less was dependant upon who had a generator, and obviously this Church building did, either they owned one or the military provided one( I was recalled to active duty for three weeks)

Date: November 13, 2010 05:05PM

...to those who were not Mormons.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.