Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 06:04PM

What is the biggest porker you've seen or heard a recent GA tell?

I will open the bidding with GBH (in Britain that also stands for Grievous Bodily Harm in criminal law) stating that he didn't know that 'we' teach that God was once a man despite it forming part of the lesson material in the Gospel Principles manual.

I'm going to say that rates 7 out of 10 on the bullcrapometer...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 08:50PM

I had no idea. What does an American know? We don't speak Standard English. Worse yet, we don't spell in Standard English.

But right-o, I'd agree that Gordy saying he didn't "know that we believe that" was the worst porky than anyone has said of late. But wasn't it John Taylor who, when he was on his mission in England, told the crowd that Mormons did not practice polygamy, but believed that one man should have one wife? Meanwhile, he had 11 wives awaiting back in Utah. As porkies go, that was pretty damned bold. On my bullcrapometer (you got those in the UK, too? They're metric, right?), it's a 10 out of 10.

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 04:44AM

Tomato, tomato (that really doesn't work in written form does it...)

Anyhow's old boy, tally ho and all that...

'tis the Queen's English don't ya know.

Did you get where 'Porker' comes from?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 09:28AM

I THINK (but don't actually KNOW) that it's another example of that Cockney rhymie-talk. I've heard people call lies "pork pies," "porkers," and "porkies." I've always thought that "porkies" and "porkers" were short for "pork pies."

And I always thought that pork pies = "lies," like "trouble-and-strife" = "wife," or "hugs-and-kisses" = "missus." Other examples I can't rightly think of just now.

Enlighten me.

(I'm just a poor yank, otherwise, an unpopular one at that for being one of the few who defends Standard English spellings. American English spellings make us look like the dolts of the English-speaking world. The normal reaction to people like me is to say, "Hey, you wanna be like a damned Canadian, then get the hell out of the country!" And then it becomes apparent to me that the average American really dislikes Canadians, for some reason.)

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:56AM

That is indeed what a porker or porkie is.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 12:00PM

WHILE we are on the subject.... what the _________ is a git?

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 12:05PM

It might or might not be rhyming slang.

But it basically refers to an ignorant fool. It's a very contemptuous term.

Not a Brit myself, just spent a lot of time around them.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 12:11PM

thanks from the yanks!! :)...any Dr. Who fans out there?

Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 08:56PM

The exact quote being "Some suppose that they were preset and cannot overcome what they feel are inborn tendencies toward the impure and the unnatural," he said. "Not so. Why would our Heavenly Father do that to anyone?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2010 08:58PM by jw the inquizzinator.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 09:20PM

Close call between GBH and Taylor...

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 10:09AM

Probably my favorite Shaw quote; nothing to do with the OP, but funny & true.

I think the whole Holland "I hold in my hand that book..." is pretty bold--to say something misleading is one thing, but to hold up an an actual physical object that's not what it you say it is in front of millions....

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 12:01PM

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 12:39PM

I agree that the weasel-ish words of Hinkley are the biggest "porkers."

I think of all of the mental images I have of past prophets... Benjamin preaching, rocks being thrown at Noah, Abinidi before King Noah, Sam the Lamanate on the wall dodging arrows... Job getting boils and sh**, getting swallowed by a whale, firery furnaces, you get the point.

And Hinckley overtly lies to protect the church. And subsequently chides the membership in conference for listening to "worldly sources."

I recently toured the SLC conference center, and the tour guide gushed on and on about his greatness. In reality, he was a marketing man more interested in the product than exercising or exhibiting any type of integrity or honesty.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.