Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: October 14, 2011 09:36AM

All of the 'mainstream' media attacks on perceived antimormonism are missing an important point:

Some of the critics of Mormonism are ex-members. Not all are Christian fundamentalists. But no distinctions are recognized, let alone explored.

So now the consensus is that former members of groups "have an agenda" or "bigotry" as their motive in exposing activities they don't approve of, or happen to be illegal or at least highly unethical?

This sounds like censorship to me. ExMormons are being dismissed along with the policers of doctrinal purity, but we are a VERY different group, for the most part.

I don't think religion should be part of the campaigns at all. Article 6 of the US Constitution prohibits a religious test.... which makes all of the folks who bring up religion in the campaign anti-Constitutionalists.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: duffy ( )
Date: October 14, 2011 10:44AM

The Constitution is saying that the GOVERNMENT cannot set up a religious test for candidates.

Individuals can make their political choices in any manner they please. They are allowed to freely discriminate based on race, religion, gender, political philosophy, whatever they want. I'm not saying it's right. I'm just pointing out that the constitution is a document that sets up the rules of government's limits and obligations. It does not say anything about what individuals should or shouldn't do.

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: October 14, 2011 10:54AM

If they want to herd the masses in a direction that requires propaganda that is highly critical of an organization or belief system, the media can do a pretty good job of promoting the virtues of robust debate, whistle-blowing, free speech, the market of ideas and so on.

When they want to herd the masses in a direction that requires propaganda that glosses over and covers up the problems of an organization or belief system, they can do a quick 180-degree turn and suddenly it's all about tolerance and acceptance, getting rid of negativity, the evils of "hate speech" and so on.

The definitions are loosy-goosy and fluid, so as to serve the ever evolving needs of the propaganda ministry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.