Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 01:59PM

Looks like the Prop 8 protests are hurting LDS PR enough to prompt "a revelation".

http://www.truthwinsout.org/blog/2010/11/12679/

Changes to LDS Church policy on homosexuality will be presented to LDS lay clerical leaders worldwide this Saturday, November 13.

The changes are being introduced through a global leadership training satellite broadcast for the release of the newly revised Church Handbook of Instructions (CHI), a 400-page lay priesthood manual reserved for use by LDS Church members in local and regional lay leadership positions.

Multiple advance copies of the CHI leaked on the internet reveal significant changes to Church policy on homosexuality.

Basically, here’s what’s changed: You’re no longer a hellbound sinner just for thinking gay thoughts, and they’ve decreed that if you are one of those homosexual thought-havers, but you promise to live under the authoritarian thumb of the church and never seek personal fulfillment, they will let you have all the perks of being a Mormon, which, from what I’ve heard, is quite a goodie bag!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Comfortably Numb ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 02:14PM

From CL2's experience, her husband wasn't withheld from the Temple or callings because he was trying to live the Gospel while being married to her. I don't think this is a change but perhaps that they are just spreading that tactic around as the acceptable method. So I guess that's kind of a change then for those who didn't know that policy before...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 03:25PM

So--this is the reality of it all. I was told that he was damned if he didn't CHANGE. He couldn't have the feelings or desires. That was 27-1/2 years ago. They have "softened" that statement. Now if he has SSA feelings (take note, that is just same sex attraction so they can imply it is changeable--meaning it isn't their "identity"--just so you know, you aren't heterosexual, you are just OSA). Anyway--this is how they REALLY FEEL. This was just from about 3 years ago. Basically, you can't have ALL THE BLESSINGS unless you are willing to take some sacrificial lamb along with you--be they male or female:

ELDER OAKS: We are sometimes asked about whether marriage is a remedy for these feelings that we have been talking about. President Hinckley, faced with the fact that apparently some had believed it to be a remedy, and perhaps that some Church leaders had even counseled marriage as the remedy for these feelings, made this statement: “Marriage should not be viewed as a therapeutic step to solve problems such as homosexual inclinations or practices.” To me that means that we are not going to stand still to put at risk daughters of God who would enter into such marriages under false pretenses or under a cloud unknown to them. Persons who have this kind of challenge that they cannot control could not enter marriage in good faith.

On the other hand, persons who have cleansed themselves of any transgression and who have shown their ability to deal with these feelings or inclinations and put them in the background, and feel a great attraction for a daughter of God and therefore desire to enter marriage and have children and enjoy the blessings of eternity — that’s a situation when marriage would be appropriate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2010 03:26PM by cl2.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 02:41PM

You can be part of our church if you're gay as long as you're pretending you're not!

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 02:52PM

... that says you can be a liberal New York Skateborder. Jesus loves you too! Just no multiple piercings or tattoos. Jesus just hates that crap.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 02:57PM

... at least according to the church PR execs (the real profits of the true/new gospel).

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 03:03PM

... that says 1 glass of wine per day is good for your health. And maybe a joint if you're dying from cancer. Now THAT's a church that would totally rock. Oh, and you can wear pink shirts.

Posted by: impure and unnatural ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 03:09PM

Because I think he missed that memo 10 years ago. I agree with previous posters...this is not a change, they're just trying to get everyone to be updated from 1930 to 1950. At this rate they'll hit 1969 in another thirty years.

What trendsetters the mormons are!!!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 03:22PM

Packer missed September 2010's memo--

Or so they want you to believe. My ex is glad that he said what he did. Cleared the air for those who thought they were softening their stance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2010 03:28PM by cl2.

Posted by: impure and unnatural ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 03:33PM

Will they start questioning the cult because it's not homophobic and heterosexist enough?

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 07:27PM

impure and unnatural Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because I think he missed that memo 10 years ago.
> I agree with previous posters...this is not a
> change, they're just trying to get everyone to be
> updated from 1930 to 1950. At this rate they'll
> hit 1969 in another thirty years.
>
> What trendsetters the mormons are!!!

I don't remember where I found the web site, but I was reading people's stories about getting kicked out of BYU for being Gay, even though they were being chaste.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 08:12PM

Nothing really has changed, they just want to make sure that the leadership does less to offend its membership and the community at large.

It is still a sin to engage in sexual activity outside of marriage- as with all members.

You can still serve a mission and do everything else except show open affection or try to tell others that you are normal.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 09:32PM

No surprise to me!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.