Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nlocnil ( )
Date: October 18, 2011 09:33PM

Go into a grove of trees and pray to God to ask which of the dozen sects of Mormonism is true!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vivo ( )
Date: October 18, 2011 09:45PM

... go get some from a university or college or books or....wherever. Avoid the faith dispensers.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 18, 2011 09:47PM

i actually went there, did that. total silence.....hmmm

Date: October 18, 2011 09:54PM

oh yeah, now i'm here. not so silent! lol

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: October 18, 2011 10:31PM

having a direct, George Lucas style, light-and-magic visitation by the two supreme deities of the universe. Joe Smith was so special that he even forgot about it until more than a decade later and--even then--he at first couldn't remember if it was just angels or the big kahunas, even God the Fathuh and Jesus the Kuhrist. But finally he remembered it WAS those two big deity guys and now we all know the story as it has been immortalized as the story of the FIRST VISION.

It's such a wonderful story because Joe Smith was so wonderful.

I'm always amazed by puny ordinary people who expect that they too can be visited directly by HF and JC. Ain't gonna happen. They're too important and you're too unimportant. Your role is to trust the authority figures that act as intermediaries and give you messages from HF and JC.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 19, 2011 08:49AM

Gorspel Dacktrin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> It's such a wonderful story because Joe Smith was
> so wonderful.

I marvel at how WONDERFUL Joseph Smith was-- second only to Jesus Christ (and maybe James Bond).

Oh, how I wish I could have lived back then so that I could have offered him my wife and daughters to boink.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2011 08:50AM by baura.

Posted by: ipseego ( )
Date: October 19, 2011 09:01AM

Oh yea! Could Smith beat Batman or Superman?

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: October 19, 2011 08:07PM

still have the keys of authority to again request the sacrificial boink offerings. It may just be a matter of time before, once again, we can have the opportunity to make boink offerings to the Prophet. It may be a Monson. It may be a Bednar. But that day is coming, and Joseph Smith will be there in spirit--if not in his resurrected glory!

Posted by: Dr. Nick ( )
Date: October 18, 2011 11:42PM

Hi Everybody!

Let him ask the Great Om Holy Horns and then join in a few verses of great hymns dedicated to him such as "He is trampling the unrighteous with hooves of hot iron, or The way of the infidel is a nest of thorns", or my personal favorite, " Lo the Infidels flees the wrath of Om". Interestingly enough, that last one can easily be sung to High upon the mountain top. But Om Holy Horns will grant his wisdom to smite unbelievers to whoever lacks it.

Posted by: Dr. Nick ( )
Date: October 18, 2011 11:44PM

Extra special blessings for any who know the reference

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 19, 2011 08:55AM

The wonderful Sir Terry Pratchett's novel "Small Gods" - one of my favourite books and, I would suggest, a must-read for anyone bothered by/interested in religion.

Thanks for the reminder, Dr. Nick.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 18, 2011 11:50PM

Apparently the person who went there said that there was one of those common New England 2' high stone walls running through the immediate area. These walls were made when farmers cleared the stones from the fields and used them to mark off the borders.

If as he says, the wall runs through the area designated as The Grove, then it is a safe bet that this particular area was originally a field in the 1820's and the grove grew in over the last 50 years of so.

If again this is true, then noty only is this not really the grove, but proof positive that:
1. Nature provides its own peaceful places where we can feel wonderful, and
2. It goes to show how easily "the spirit" can be manufactured by merely evoking emotion and labelling that feeling incorrectly.

Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: October 19, 2011 12:29AM

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: October 19, 2011 12:32AM

Then go out and buy a desk calender.

Date: October 19, 2011 12:34AM

i don't remember where i read it (mormon think?) that the smiths didn't even live in that area the year that js claimed he had the vision

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: October 19, 2011 08:56AM

"Knowledge is knowing that the tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: October 19, 2011 08:26PM

I lack wisdom. And by acknowledging that I hope to learn bit by bit as I go!

I don't know shit, and I'm happy to say it...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 19, 2011 08:27PM

I figure if God wants me, he knows where to find me. Other than that, I'm expected to put on my big girl pants and deal.

Posted by: flash ( )
Date: October 20, 2011 01:15PM

In accordance, to gain greater truth and light about the Mormon Church, by my determination to search the internet, I retired to the woods near my home to make the attempt. It was on the morning of a beautiful, clear day, early in the spring. It was the first time in my life that I had made such an attempt, for amidst all my anxieties with Mormonism, I had never as yet made the attempt to use Google Search for such an endeavor.

After I had retired to the place where I had previously designed to go, having looked around me, and finding myself alone, I kneeled down, opened my laptop and began to offer up the desires of my heart to Google Search.

I had scarcely done so, when immediately I was seized upon by the “Strengthening the Members Committee” which entirely overcame me, and had such an astonishing influence over me as to bind my fingers so that I could not type. Thick darkness gathered around me, and it seemed to me for a time as if I and my laptop were doomed to utter destruction.

As I was about to abandon myself to despair and to the hopelessness of being sucked back into the Morg and staying in total ignorance, I exerted all my strength to use my mouse and keyboard to call upon Google Search.

It no sooner appeared that I found myself delivered from the committee which held me bound. The darkness did flee, and my laptop screen appeared before me once again.

No sooner, therefore, did I get possession of myself, so as to be able to type, that I entered in the desires of my heart and asked Google Search “How shall I know of the truthfulness of the Mormon church?”

Immediately my screen began to shine with such brightness and glory that it defied all description and its glory did shine above that of the noon-day sun.

And it came to pass that writing of a curious nature appeared upon my screen where it was written “GO TO EXMORMON.ORG .” Then a voice of thunder from my laptop speakers spoke saying, “This is my beloved website, in which I am well pleased, in which I have glorified my Google Search name. Read ye its wisdom and thou shalt be blessed”.

And it came to pass that I went to this website. There, I feasted upon so much enlightenment and truth, that I was overcome with joy and fell to the earth. When my strength returned to me, I then lifted myself up, raised my hands toward the nearest Wi Fi tower and said “How is it done?” Then my laptop spoke again unto me saying, “because of thy faith in the internet.”

From that day, I have given thanks to Google Search and have praised its name forever more.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.