Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmo ( )
Date: October 21, 2011 01:31PM

and don't realize it. I used to be 'outofutah' and changed my moniker quite a while ago.

If the other 'notmo' will please stand down, I will greatly appreciate it!

I have enough worry trying to keep track of my own posts without someone else posting as me...lol...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: October 21, 2011 05:38PM

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: October 21, 2011 05:42PM

My monicker was hijacked at one time. I think the person changed it to "the other" me

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: October 21, 2011 05:42PM

I didn't know you could input a name that's already registered....

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 21, 2011 05:44PM

Have you registered? No one else can use your name if you are a registered user.

Date: October 22, 2011 12:46PM

I was accused of being a 'puppet', when in fact I had just changed my name because 'notmo' was easier to type...I can tell you that there ARE people that notice if you don't stick to your name. And people were quite indignant, rude and hateful about my faux pas. So if posters feel justified in launching such an attack because someone they really know nothing about, using a fake name decides to change that fake name to another fake name, then I think even unregistered posters can make a claim to a moniker.

:-)

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 12:50PM

Then it's even easier to post because you only need to type your post. I didn't register for several months but I sure enjoyed the difference when I registered. :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2011 12:51PM by Rebeckah.

Date: October 22, 2011 01:00PM

I didn't register for a long time, but you'll find that it actually makes things easier. Once you log in, your name is already there, and you no longer have to type in the security letters to post. You can edit your posts. You will have a little symbol at the end of threads to let you know when there are new posts.

It's all good!

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 02:46PM

Get this....Since I've registered...I tried replying to a post, but wasn't logged in. I used my "nonmo" moniker but it said someone else is already registered with that name..

Date: October 22, 2011 02:55PM

Yes, that's the case. The same thing happened to me recently when I was posting from a relative's house. I just used "summer nli" for Summer, not logged in. Eventually I felt comfortable logging in from there.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 01:01PM

Many posters have changed their names through the years for various reasons, which is acceptable (although it can be tough to keep up with who used to be called what!)

I remember that incident you refer to - it was a problem not because you wanted to change your name but because you used two different names in one thread (I guess you were in mid-switch at the time). As that is a major red flag for trolling, which is a practice disdained around here (for good reason) people were suspicious.

True enough, we're encouraged to report to Admin rather than take matters into our own hands by confronting people or interacting with those who are actually trolls but there isn't 100% compliance as emotions get stirred up and people react.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 02:38PM

i had to change my name when i found out a family member was stalking me.

Date: October 22, 2011 08:43PM

But my point is that I don't think it would be out of line to ask the other poster not to use the moniker; even though I'm not registered.

notmo

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 09:25PM

Oh, I agree. Definitely. That is what happens here when someone new comes in and accidentally uses an existing board name.

It is not a requirement to register here, specifically so that people feel comfortable posting without having to register, but still a person's well used and known board name is theirs and nobody can scoop it just because the poster who had it first chose not to register.

One of the big benefits of registering is so that nobody can use your name, either accidentally or with intent to deceive. Trolls have often posted as a board regular (Cheryl, for example). Fortunately, to those who know the regulars it's fairly easy to tell that it's not something they would say as it's usually obviously trollish (crude, argumentative, out of left field, etc). I have seen this type of thing cause arguments, though, if it's not obviously a name-steal situation.

Each poster has to weigh the pros and cons of safeguarding their board name vs remaining unregistered.

Definitely it's a good idea to announce on the board that someone is using your name if it happens, but also let Admin know so they will be aware. They can often discover whether it's an innocent event or if there is bad intent.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 12:52PM

This happened whenever I was too ill to post or when I was on vacation.

It's a nasty but obvious and stupid trick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2011 02:04PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 02:44PM

Well...I'm NONmo...And finally registered on this site. I'm guessing you never registered and your imposter did??

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 02:51PM

for people who are practicing interacting in the non-mo world. We make mistakes--sometimes embarrassing mistakes which damage credibility, or we are misunderstood and think we are burned on this forum.

There is nothing wrong with changing your moniker so you can start over and have a chance to express yourself better. It's all part of learning. I consider RfM to be a WONDERFUL way to test the approach you plan to use in a family situation, for example.

Nobody promises to use the same name here. And some really can't because everything stands on the anonymity staying safe. My point is that people should not feel that it's a crime to change names.

Anagrammy

Date: October 22, 2011 02:57PM

I like to get to know various board members over time, but I understand if certain members need to do a moniker change every now and then.

Date: October 22, 2011 08:45PM

OK...I'm officially 'notmo'

:-)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 08:49PM

Why is that so hard to get across to some people ?

Posted by: hotnotmo ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 09:18PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.