Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Guest ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 02:13PM

Fit Like?

A few years ago, I read a note on RfM that was a rep-rint of an LDS GA, possibly Larsen, which discussed Witch Craft and child abuse in Salt Lake.

Does any remember the detail or have references?

Cheers

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cool Clear Facts ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 02:17PM

I'm guest above. Googled it, and found the following link:

http://www.utlm.org/newsletters/no81.htm

Cheers

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 03:35PM

Oh, lovely, the Satanic Cult moral panic of the late 80's early 90's.

...for the love of god, take that thing with a HUGE grain of salt.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 04:04PM

From professionals and those close to them, both LDS and non-LDS...

I'm sorry so many don't want to believe the epidemic of child abuse in Utah exists and essentially remain in willful denial. There's a huge parallel with the Catholic priests and their abuse and enablers.

Linda Walker detailed why children "believe" it was Satan who was tormenting them. When they confront the abusive parent and accuse them, they're told "That wasn't me; that was Satan." Or it was Satan who was making them commit those unspeakable acts...

Date: October 22, 2011 07:17PM

I agree that there are massive numbers of children sexually abused, SL Cabbie.

I don't believe that people do it robes, worshiping the devil and sacrificing virgins. I believe there's A LOT of evidence that cases like the famous one in Texas with the day care are primarily due to unbalanced adults abusing children until they "confess"what happened so they can be "healed".

Having been raised by a bipolar Utah man who started with recollections of his abuse by a grandfather who forced him to torture cats to keep him quiet, who then went on to try self-hypnosis, and believe that his entire extended family were performing satanic rituals in the back room of a lingerie store in Murray where children were locked in cages, I can promise you that a lot of the groundwork for this sort of thing is hugely unethical.

Until you've been held down by someone who believes that your problems are because you were abused, and you need to remember in order to be healed, let's just agree to disagree.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 08:09PM

The tone of the article is "Satanism is real because we believe it is".

How about some evidence ?

How about telling us how many tax dollars were wasted by government "investigation" into this imaginary bogeyman ?

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 10:34PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
the tanner article does stink, because its loaded with MORmON Crap /LDS BS.

> The tone of the article is "Satanism is real
> because we believe it is".

the real emphasis of Tanner's reports is that once ppl start down the road of MORmON stupidity, it might lead to some really stupid places.

it was Joe Smith that insisted the boogey man was on the rampage, it made it easier for Joe to rape and rob them while they huddled in MORmONISM for protection. Pace quoted extensivley from the BOM & Smith in the Pace report to prop up the contention that Satan was real and on the prowl. If you saw wording that suggested Satan was real, it was most likely Tanners reporting on what some MORmON had said/ was promoting.

>
> How about some evidence ?

there isnt any. there are many ppl in law enforcement with incredibly big egos that would LOVE to bust this thing wide open if they could find any evidence to do it. Baby X's parents were tracked down, at great effort & expense.
they were illegal alien migrant farm workers, the child/ baby died and they didnt want to get busted for being in the US illegally so they made a really botched attempt at improperly dispsoing of the body. that was all. satan was so dissappointed, but of course he's been retired ever since the Hell raising MORmONS took over his work.

most of the other *evidence* is the insane rantings of those MORmONS ( gayle smith) who take MORmONISM way too seriously, just the way LDS INC tells them to. their common link is they have totally pathetic lives and are so desperate to be so much more than they really are. ever heard that theme before? I'll give you a hint. " I found golden plates ( that you will never see), I have been called of God to translate them, I am a prophet.... of the latter days! )"

>
> How about telling us how many tax dollars were
> wasted by government "investigation" into this
> imaginary bogeyman ?

bone head Norm Bangerter dipped into his utah state Governor's special slush fund several times to investigate this CRAP at the urging of big shot utah psychologist (NUTCASE) named Barbara Snow. that was over half a million $ right there. and thats where idiot presiding LDS bishop Glen Pace got on board too.

and JFTR I am atheist myself.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 08:32PM

witchcraft - wicca - has nothing to do with satanism, in fact witches don't even believe in Satan. Satanic cults are not wicca practitioners, not witches.

Date: October 22, 2011 09:29PM

Excellent point, nonny mouse.

I also am friends with a Laveyan Satanist...she's an atheist, and wouldn't hurt a fly.

Except for a handful of confused teens aiming for shock value, everything I have ever seen, heard, or read points to the terms Satanist and Witch being tossed into pretty much anything just to create fear and a negative gut reaction in the listener.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 09:32PM

Yup- It's tired misconception. Wicca and paganism are not devil-worship. Hell, Satanism isn't even devil-worship, despite what people think. Devil worship is something else entirely. Too bad people keep feeding this type of bigotry.

Posted by: lalybrook ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 11:12PM

Itzpapalotl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yup- It's tired misconception. Wicca and paganism
> are not devil-worship. Hell, Satanism isn't even
> devil-worship, despite what people think. Devil
> worship is something else entirely. Too bad people
> keep feeding this type of bigotry.

Long ago, after I left mormonism, I studied Blavatsky/Baileys Theosophy, also called Lucis Trust, which has heavy participation in the U.N. I hear, and which also believe that Lucifer is the good guy. They have an initiation level where the initiate must understand the nature of Lucifer as a solar angel of light before passing on to the next level.

Over the years I've discovered a lot of people who reverence Lucifer do so with a similar understanding that he is some kind of holy being angel who is misunderstood in the grand scheme of things due to christian demonizing of said Lucifer character. Many have a great reverence for 'dark' as they teach it's necessary part of their light teachings. Perhaps that justifies any negative dabblings, I didn't research that far to find out. Maybe not as unfamiliar as the D&C's verse stating that if they never should have bitter they could not know the sweet. D&C 29:39

Of course this doesn't explain why God commanded adam and eve NOT to partake of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, but such is the nonsense of beliefs regardless of what side of the fence you approach it.

http://www.lucistrust.org/en/arcane_school/talks_and_articles/the_esoteric_meaning_of_lucifer

http://www.lucistrust.org/en/arcane_school/talks_and_articles/descent_and_sacrifice

note: I had no personal interest in these teachings but was educating myself on different belief systems.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 11:21PM

From what I understand, Lucifer was a Roman concept and the Xtians adopted him as the devil concept. Very, very convoluted history of the "adversary."

Now, if you want a goood laugh, I suggest you watch "Lucy, Daughter of the Devil."
http://www.adultswim.com/shows/lucy-the-daughter-of-the-devil/index.html

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 10:26PM

Christians labeled the pre-Christian religions "satanic", and so those who practice their modern forms are worshipping the devil, even though the devil is a Christian invention.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.