Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 02:01AM

My roommate was asking about the "And I'm a Mormon" campaign today. While trying to provide insight, a parallel popped into my head.

Remember in the 90s when you'd see an ad for a really great car and at the end the tag line was:

"Hyundai. Yes. Hyundai." Phrased with the assumption that the first time you hear the name Hyundai you must be thinking, "Hyundai? No! Hyundais are cheap and nasty!"

I think of the Mormon ads the same way. "Here's a really great human being -- not weird at all! Mormon. Yes. Mormon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 03:19AM

MORmON ads.... well on the way to being the biggest LDS PR back fire since polygamy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDKvMh1v-B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otW_eAjOsQw

Posted by: englishx1 ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 06:19AM

wow thats funny. The adverts are like they are trying to convince themselves they are normal. There is no doctrine whatsoever, its like buying a mobile phone or something. Anything but a religion.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 07:28AM

I think the ads are political support for Romney. Because Romney is so closely associated with Mormonism, and because so many people think Mormons are weird, they are trying to dampen the negative association to get Romney elected.

You know the LDS, Inc. Board wants nothing more than to put a Mormon in the White House, and not some freethinker (i.e. Democrat) like Reid or a Jack Mormon like Huntsman in.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.