Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 10:42PM

Where does my tithing money go? Why are they not interested in details of the way their money is spent? Now, if they did show an interest and question the biggies even at the local level -the bishops, etc. in turn would tell SLC the natives are "getting restless". What do I tell them???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 10:44PM by honestone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 10:50PM

Interestingly, in the UK and Canada, Mormons can know exactly where their tithing money goes as they are legally required to publish accounts.

I looked at the UKs accounts and it's quite dull and a little surprising. We don't actually make any surpless above expenses, and the primary expense category is new buildings and renovations.

All the excess tithing money must come from a small proportion of wealthy American businessmen.

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 10:51PM

All the church has to do is to point to the massive Conference Center , all the chapels, and stake centers "WORLD-WIDE". The Temples, and BYU, and BYU Idaho, and all the missions and a catalog of manuals and information. A good spin doctor could easily justify the enomous expense of the construction and maintenance of these facilities. compared to income of tithing..

JB

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 05:40AM

Really? You must not have had to live on the return the church handed back to missionaries that they themselves paid to the church. Tou must not have sat in an over heated or freezing building filled with 200 plus tithe payers who put up with the BS because "funds are tight".

Maybe an outsider or TBM would buy that reasoning. A survivor of MORG abuse would think twice before accepting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 05:41AM by luckychucky.

Posted by: newblacksheep ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 10:52PM

I think it's because TBMs trust the GAs implicitly and believe they would never misuse the money. I mean, they are taught not to question what their leaders do while at the same time taught to believe God would never allow the leaders go astray--in other words, leaders can do no wrong. A good TBM doesn't question what leaders do, that includes what they do with money. I think most TBMs also truly believe the money is used for temples, church buildings and all the so-called charity work the church does. TBMs don't question such things, that's part of what it means to be a true believing mormon.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 10:53PM

They don't ask it because they're told that all the money they have is actually God's money, and all He asks back is 10% of it. So once they've handed it over to God, then it doesn't matter where it goes. What matters is that they passed the test of obedience by giving it back. After that, they forget about it.

Date: October 24, 2011 10:56PM

Best answer I've seen yet. That is exactly it, in my opinion.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 11:00PM

it also explains the ferret hanging halfway out of their asses. They passed the test.

Date: October 24, 2011 11:17PM

Handing it over to GOD...guess they do believe they all become Gods.

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 02:22AM

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 11:02PM

They believe they can trust the church to spend it in a way which God would approve.

Date: October 24, 2011 11:07PM

God must like shopping as much as my wife then.

Date: October 25, 2011 02:23AM

freeman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> God must like shopping as much as my wife then.

That's funny! My ale snorted out of my nose when I read your post. Thank you!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 11:13PM

LOL Most are not that informed on church finances anyway

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 12:20AM

Because if they do then they are essentially questioning "the brethren." To question the Brethren rarely enters a TBM's mind. When I was a believer it NEVER crossed my mind to want an actual accounting of the church's finances. I assumed it was probably available and was appropriately spent. Unfortunately that's our job. To hopefully get these people questioning things.

Date: October 25, 2011 01:19AM

I get what most are saying....they don't question because they are taught to not question. It seems that in society in general they would though...like money from a PTA fundraiser, boy scout troop fundraiser, etc. if they were in positions of leadership. The church for them is different. Never wrong in any decision they make. Us nevermos just find it all a LOT odd.

Date: October 25, 2011 02:29AM

Yeah, honestone, questioning church leaders IS different for TBMs. IMO, they see it as questioning the Lord Himself. It simply isn't done.

Did you ever see that laughable film, Star Trek V, in which the old (classic) gang go in search of God at the center of the galaxy? And Kirk asks the Being they find there why he needs a starship to travel around in, and Bones (Dr. McCoy) chastises Kirk, saying, "You don't ask the Almighty for his ID."

Unfortunately, Bones was wrong. They were NOT dealing with the Almighty, just an imposter. But the power of this Being was, on the surface, impressive and Bones was fooled--just as many TBMs are. They wouldn't dare ask the Almighty 15 to prove themselves "herewith".

More TBMs would serve themselves better to follow Kirk's example and QUESTION their General Authorities.

Just my tuppence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 02:30AM by Sorcha.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 05:22AM

Mormons are brainwashed to think that they can't have faith in God unless they blindly honor "The Church," and those who spend their money.

Strange, isn't it?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 05:30AM

Actually it's slightly worse than this - Mormon's are actively encouraged to not ask questions at all. For those who still attend, try asking a question in Gospel Doctrine class that isn't a Primary level faith promoting question, and see if that is welcome or not.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 05:41AM

Date: October 25, 2011 05:45AM

Even worse, try asking questions of a true believing family member and see how that is received.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 06:11AM

They don't think about where it goes and don't want to know. Their minds have been sucked and replaced and the damage due to their choice to remain blind is crippling and permanent. They don't care. It is the act of doing all the things required that makes them feel good whether those things actually make sense isn't questioned.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 06:26AM

I agree. For the most part I think most mos are happy that they are free from cursings and couldn't care less where thier money goes.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 06:51AM

And the canned response is always that the moneys are used as directed by the needs of the church and that we know we can always trust the brethren to use it wisely.

Date: October 25, 2011 06:57AM

I respond to that by asking if they trusted Paul H Dunn when he told his stories and they felt the spirit testify of his truthfulness.
Always results in a stony silence for some reason...

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 10:41AM

One time the Bishop dropped by to see me after getting back from spending the week in SLC for GC and we had a good chat. We got on the topic of charities and I was telling him about a couple of websites where you can see how various charities are rated and which are the best to get our money. He said he just donates to the church and *hope* that they are using it for the best purposes.

It was a bit of a surprise to hear him speak with any hint of doubt, but I don't suppose anyone could look at the enormous construction project which is financed with out-of-pocket money and be the Bishop trying to keep all the auxilliaries in his ward happy with an ever shrinking budget, and feel confident that everything is on the up and up.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 07:33AM

Because they've already been told it's spent for chapel and temple building, publishing books and audio programs, maintaining the schools, etc. Once the leaders have spoken the thinking has been done and any member that questions their finances are either treated like children or declared that the they have the devil in them. That's why.

Then when the go to the temple, they promise under oath to give all they have to the building up of the kingdom. No better than Scientology or other cults that "inspire" you to make money then take it from you. Failure to do so will cut you off from God's presence in the next life, you watch out. God is all powerful, all knowing, but he just can't handle money. He always needs money!

Posted by: renaissanceray1030 ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 09:10AM

Perhaps it time to "Occupy Temple Square."

Date: October 25, 2011 10:55AM

But only 1-3% of tithing money is spend on humanitarian aid. The rest is going on buildings and investments. Most real charities will spend 80%+ of their donations on direct aid.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 11:09AM

I understand how the church membership could be brow-beaten into not demanding accountability.

What I don't understand is how church leaders can possibly justitfy this to themselves. If they truly have nothing to hide, why not be open about church finances? Do they feel that publishing their budget would invite dissention among the membership? Or do they feel so above it all that they feel they are above scrutiny? The latter is a recipe for disaster, to my way of thinking.

A "good steward" would have nothing to hide.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.