Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jojax ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 08:08PM

Why is there so much hate toward the mormons. I left because I felt like I was practicing something I didn't believe and therefore felt like I was living a lie to the good people of that church. I still feel like the church is an amazing church with amazing people that for the most part live by great principles. I came to this site to seek folks to talk to now that I'm free and it just feels like everyone wants to attack the mormon church. They are good people that do good for the world, if you want to stop a faith, stop faiths that are not good and do not do good for the world. I no longer am mormon but will always practice their strong principles of love.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 08:16PM

If you take the time to read some of the "hateful" posts, you may discover that not everyone has had the same positive experience you have. Many, many people find that the church they have experienced is not one of love and goodness, but has indeed caused great pain and hardship.

If you had a positive experience and have no reason to criticize the church, congratulations. That has not been everyone's experience and this is a place where they come to share both positive and negative thoughts and feelings.

Posted by: omen ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 08:19PM

I don't think I'd call asking an organization to be honest about its history, its finances, and belief system hateful.

I just look at this site as one that informs people about the truth behind the mormon church.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 08:20PM

There's a difference between 'mormons' and the mormon so-called 'church'

Many mormons are good people, who live good lives, and try to help others.

But the 'church' division of LDS Corp is NOT good. It causes (and even encourages) families to be torn apart, it exacts enormous amounts of money from its 'followers' (in so-called tithes and many other 'offerings'), it meddles in politics, it creates mental disorders in a large number of its 'members'...

The mormon so-called 'church' is EVIL - and we were taught to hate evil...

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 10:26PM

I believe "another guy" hit the nail on the head for me about not wanting to vote for Mitt. 99.9% of the Mormon people are good and honest, as least all the one's I've met.

It's the top leadership from the President/Prophet, the 12 and 70, etc. that I don't trust. I'm an outsider but know just enough that I don't know how much control they have over Mitt or Huntsman and the results could be bad.

Seems we will go from one extreme to the other and all most want is someone in the middle.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 08:23PM

Mormons are caught up in a bad system. It is this system of the institutional church that is the primary target of these "attacks." The institutional church is the organization that lies, witholds information, excommunicates undesirables (intellectuals, feminists, homosexuals etc.), keeps us out of family weddings etc. This is not "good."

People are angry at what this instiution has done to them. It may not have been as hard on the course of your life, but for many of us trying to keep up with worthiness was a damaging exercise. This, I believe, is distinct from hate. If you are just angry you share your grievances, and work to address them constructively with others. If you hate, well then you beat up your opponents, trample their civil rights etc. I've never seen anyone here advocate violence without being shown the exit.

Mormons use strong words when talking about other religions: "Abomination," "Church of the Devil," "Apostate" etc. Is that hate speech? It seems like it would qualify to use the standard you apply to this board. Could you share some specific examples of "hate" or "attacks"? I'm not sure what you mean by this.

If people here "attack" Mormons, I would say that stems mostly from the fact that they do irritating or irrational things because of the rotten system they are caught up in.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 08:24PM

And I don't find your church to be "amazing" or filled with "amazing" people. It's filled with people who funded the Proposition 8 debacle. It's filled with people who have deeply harmed individuals here that I've grown to care about. It's filled with people who abuse. It's filled with people who blame victims for being abused.

I'm glad that your experience was apparently positive but that's YOUR experience. It's rather rude of you to criticize how other people deal with their own unique experiences.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 08:27PM

I'm not a Mormon either, nor have -I- been personally harmed by mormons...BUT, this has affected my kids...which DOES harm me.

Date: October 25, 2011 08:25PM

Most people don't hate mormons but do hate how mormons react when they leave the mormon church. You don't see a lot of ex Catholic, Ex lutheran, Ex protestant forums for a reason....

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 08:25PM

And why are you trying to tell me how to feel?

Mormonism did that my whole life. Don't need you or your permission for my feelings now.

Postmormon might give you the droids you are looking for.

This here's a venting board that allows people to rage dump.

If you want to try to guilt anyone on this board, you're going to get crushed.

Date: October 25, 2011 08:29PM

"I no longer am mormon but will always practice their strong principles of love."

Good for you, but if you read many stories here, you'll see that this is definitely NOT the case when people leave the mormon church. Many people are actively and passively shunned, which is NOT love..

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 08:30PM

"if you want to stop a faith, stop faiths that are not good and do not do good for the world"

You've just given a great reason why the mormon so-called 'church' SHOULD be stopped.

But - to be fair - can you give us some examples of what 'good' the mormon so-called 'church' has done for the world? I'd like to know...

Posted by: AtheistMarine ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 08:49PM

"if you want to stop a faith, stop faiths that are not good and do not do good for the world"

Ah the finger-pointing, no-blame-taking game, eh? Ever stop to think that the mormon church IS actually one of those bad faiths? Racism, sexism, homophobia, bigotry. All found in the mormon church. Yeah, no shit huh?

For good people to do bad things, now that needs faith.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 08:30PM

You obviously haven't done your homework. Read this board for the last 5 days, and Mormon think.Then come back and tell us what you learned.

you said you were seeking folks to talk to now that you are free. Does that mean you felt imprisoned, and have now escaped? or did they set you free?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 08:47PM by mia.

Posted by: Michaelm ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 08:43PM

"I no longer am mormon but will always practice their strong principles of love."

The principles are human traits. Religion is not the cause of people being decent and good. Mormonism has no monopoly on this.

Be cautious that you don't interpret valid criticisms as hate.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 08:55PM

I don't see a lot of Mormon-hating going on. It's usually the organization which isn't exactly respected. Not the people within in.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 09:06PM

starting from the day you were born, if i lied to you about who i am,set up rules of compliance intertwined with the conditional love of your family,took your money,destroyed your mental health,put your mother in the hospital,alienated your brothers and sisters, with held what is nearest and dearest to you (for eternity), used up all of your free time, supported people who used, abused, and assaulted you,was in the middle of all your intimate relationships etc. etc.

would you call that love?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 09:09PM

That's what mormons often do.

As for hating the corporation, I do see that here at RfM. Rightfully so.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 09:26PM

"Homosexuals hate anybody who won't tolerate their perversions." by Right Now....WTH? most gay people I know want to be left the hell alone and just be treated like everyone else under the law of the land.

Not my cuppa tea BTW, but I refuse to judge how others live their live as long as they do so without breaking any laws.

You sound very bigoted and closed minded IMHO.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 09:27PM

The good people of the church are following a fairy tale created by a sex addict con-man. They do not practice christianity, it is all about Joe the 'ho Smith. Mormons don't celebrate easter, which is the most important event in christianity.

They mindlessly follow a corporation that is all about money. It outdated priniples has caused young men to kill themselves because they masturbate. Or kill themselves because they are gay. It wastes peoples time and money and takes them away from their families with useless church busy work. It marginalizes women and gives them no power in the church or the home (stay home and poop out babies).

SOME mormons might have good morals, but it has nothing to do with their church, which is the ultimate false god.

Posted by: carthagegrey ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 09:30PM

the onus of hostility was clearly placed on the mormons doorstep when false prophet joe smith declared all other religions corrupt, and just as snowball said, ole joe was the one using hate speech, this pissed off the good christians [and still does] many of this this board's posters have been personally, adversely affected by the cult [myself included] you are obviously early in your recovery jojax and this board encourages you to ask questions, good luck

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 09:31PM

Many who post here have gotten divorced because of Mormonism or lack of it

Many who post here have had their kids taken away because of Mormonism or lack of it

Many who post here have been disowned by their parents because of Mormonism or lack of it

Many who post here have lost life long friendships because of Mormonism or lack of it

Many who post here have lost jobs because...

Many who post here have been written out of wills...

Many who post here have been sexually, mentally, physically abused by those in Mormonism

Many who post here have lost loved ones to suicide because of Mormonism or lack of it

The people in the church make up the church. It's sometimes more complex then just hating to hate.

Posted by: omen ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 09:59PM

agree 100%

Posted by: ymountain ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 09:44PM

hmm....i'm wondering if you're a troll.

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 09:46PM

There are a lot of people I love who are Mormon...when they show that their church takes priority over their family, that breaks my heart.

I wouldn't feel the dislike for the church that I do if I did not love people who were members...the only reason I'm able to show it any respect at this point is due to that love for them. I pray every day that someday they will find their way out of such an artificial,hypocritical, soul-eating organization.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 09:52PM

jojax Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I still feel like the church is an amazing church with amazing people that for the most part live by great principles.

If you still feel that LDS, Inc. is an "amazing church" then this is not the board for you. Amazing people? This is unbalanced thinking. I know some wonderful Mormons, but I also know some terrific people from other faiths. Great principles? Again, please get out into the world and visit other churches, charitable organizations, etc. The Mormon church does not have a lock on standards, morality, and goodness, much as the membership would like to think so.

The Mormon church, however, has tremendous downsides that other faiths seldom share. Most other faiths stay out of a married couple's bedroom, could care less if you masturbate or engage in oral sex, don't marginalize women nor gay people, are far more inclusive in their membership and leadership, don't keep parents out of their own children's weddings, and don't encourage shunning and pestering behavior. It is clear to me that the heirarchy of the Mormon church does not respect its membership, let alone those of other faiths.

> They are good people that do good for the world, if you want to stop a faith, stop faiths that are not good and do not do good for the world.

Please point out to me the Mormon church sponsored soup kitchens, homeless shelters, shelters for battered women, shelters for the "lost boys" of the FLDS, food pantries for non-members, free medical clinics, etc. Oh right, you can't do that. The Mormon church has an absolutely pitiful record of helping their communities. The amount of money that the Mormon church donates or devotes to actual charity is abysmal. On the other hand, they have no shortage of profitable businesses, real estate holdings, and real estate developments. Jesus would be proud.

> I no longer am mormon but will always practice their strong principles of love.

Just keep your fingers crossed that the Mormons love you back.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 09:56PM

And I'm rather thinking the "strong principles of love" the OP writes of are imaginary.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 10:08PM

... intellectuals, feminists and homosexuals 'enemies' isn't likely to be on my 'friends' list.

Don't you think, or don't you?

Timothy

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 10:47PM

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 10:17PM

Or maybe StalkerDog ate him.

Posted by: longout ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 10:44PM

I'm going to go with Trey and Matt. Their broadway musical is about the human condition and not targeting Mormonism. Ok, yes they are, but not with hate. Thay wouldn't do that, and that's not why they won so many Emmy Awards and their musical is sold out for ages.

Posted by: longout ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 10:48PM

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 10:52PM

I don't hate the mormons. Disrespect a lot of what they do in the name of "religion". The "us vs them" attitude. The self rightious, pious,,attitude. As long as they don't shove it on me,,I don't shove back. As a lot of people have,, I have been told many hurtful and ingornant things becaus I was not a mormon.
I see the mormons as a very rich business and social club.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.