Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nlocnil ( )
Date: October 26, 2011 08:26PM

So I tried to post a link to my website http://www.afterallwecando.com on my Facebook using those privacy settings, just to certain people. I've done this before with success but this time it didn't work and my TBM family saw the awesome work I've been doing. Ooops!

I got a lot of really classic responses...
---------------------------------------------
TBM Friend:
wow like a 2 year old that has had his hand slapped for trying to steal a cookie . This is quite a tantrum you are having. The more you dig trying to make yourself feel better the more you will eventually be hurting inside.

TBM Sister:
really???

TBM Brother:
Was being raised Mormon so bad that you now have to mock? It must have really screwed you up. Really? Where does it say that doing all I can to follow these commands and suggestions make me a bad person or make me ineligible for God's grace. Well I'm trying to do "all I can do" and where I fall short, because I will, that's when God's grace is there for me. I'm sorry that you can't see things for the way they are intended. Love ya Bro!

TBM Sister-in-law:
I don't even have words for you. This slander saddens me. You don't seem like you are out "looking for truth" you seem to be looking to Mock Mormons... Shame on YOU!
Is anti Mormon your "new" religion?

TBM Niece:
someone with way to much times on their hand. why poke fun of something espically your family belives in so strongly? its saddens me. why are you putting in so much time on bashing mormons?

TBM Nephew:
You didn't want to "alienate" people then you go and do this what did you expect

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: testiphony cant login ( )
Date: October 26, 2011 08:41PM

The first that comes to my mind is something to the effect of "This gang up on the apostate-pinata attitude is exactly why Mormons themselves are the ones who create rifts and alienation, all from a simple opinion about a belief system I devoted most of my life and soul to. You'd think people from a 'family first' church would understand that."

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: October 26, 2011 09:01PM

around swarming you with self-righteous indignation. Unfortunately all too predictable.

BTW - love your website. I can't remember if "Do not associate with apostates!" is on your list or not. This may make it more difficult for you and your TBM relatives to have social intercourse.

Speaking of the other kind of intercourse, the Mormons have more rules around that than the IRS has in its tax code! LOL

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: October 26, 2011 09:07PM

I rely on those too for targeted posts.

Date: October 26, 2011 09:54PM

My own fault, I made a group called TBMs. Then I posted and excluded all the TBMs. But I missed a couple of people or something. My TBMs started posting on my wall all crazy stuff.

By then the cat was out of the bag as they say so I just changed the setting to Friend of Friend.

I was already out to my extended family but I think they were still hoping I'd come around someday? At least now they know that is never gonna happen.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 26, 2011 09:27PM

Notice that you said NOTHING about them personally. Your website doesn't mention anyone by name.

However, they responded by attacking YOU personally. I'd point that out to them.

Posted by: Checker of minor facts ( )
Date: October 26, 2011 09:32PM

Exactly right.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: October 26, 2011 10:14PM

Another ditto.

To my (nevermo) eyes, your website is just actual observations of a faith and its rules.

It's very clear, well organized and easy to follow data... maybe that's why your TBM rellies don't like to see. They don't want to see so clearly all that they have to do (according to their beliefs)! ;-)

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: October 26, 2011 09:31PM

Email me.

I've been known to fuck shit up on Facebook.

Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: October 26, 2011 11:09PM

I might just try digging up the password for my stalker Facebook account just to see it!

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: October 26, 2011 09:44PM

I never read the Book of Mormon and didn't realize "you can never be good enough" had a basis in scripture. *cringes at having to call it scripture*

Incidentally, I don't believe I ever heard a Mormon use the word *grace* until my buddy Mormonanswerman used it in one of his videos. I'm surprised, too, that it's in the Book of Mormon.

Date: October 26, 2011 09:51PM

Thanks for the supporting words. You'll never hear grace in Church on Sunday. BTW, I just realized that there's another scripture even more damning than 2 Nephi 25:23

It's the 3rd Article of Faith...

"all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances"

No mention of grace. You're clearly saved by obedience. That's why I made my website. To show how ridiculously impossible the task is.

I may add 3rd Article to the top of my site but I don't want it to get too wordy. The meat is in the HUGE List.

Posted by: TheExorcist ( )
Date: October 26, 2011 10:26PM

nlocnil Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the
> laws and ordinances"
>
> No mention of grace. You're clearly saved by
> obedience. That's why I made my website. To show
> how ridiculously impossible the task is.
>

This is one of my (many) theological bones to pick with TSCC.
They put these ridiculous and superfluous conditions on God. Russell M Nelso: "Divine Love Is Also Conditional
While divine love can be called perfect, infinite, enduring, and universal, it cannot correctly be characterized as unconditional. The word does not appear in the scriptures. On the other hand, many verses affirm that the higher levels of love the Father and the Son feel for each of us—and certain divine blessings stemming from that love—are conditional. Before citing examples, it is well to recognize various forms of conditional expression in the scriptures." Now I watch EVERY word that comes out of his mouth because he's suspect.

Posted by: Icanseethelight ( )
Date: October 26, 2011 10:12PM

I do not understand why your family is upset. Those are all legitimate rules and you are not mocking anyone just by listing them. If they have a problem with it, they need to take it up with Don Monson. He can fix it all by revelation and declaration.

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: October 26, 2011 10:46PM

You've left the one true church, therefore YOU are dysfunctional, YOU are the evil, irrational apostate. I'd definitely point out that you never insulted them, and that their attempted character assassination isn't very becoming of so called followers of Christ.

"I don't even have words for you. This slander saddens me."

I'd also point out to them that a statement of fact is not slander. These are Mormon commandments and doctrines that they all subscribe to, how can they be slander? How is posting Mormon commandments and doctrines an act of mocking their religion? Pointing out that they wear bakers hats in temple rituals isn't slander, it's a statement of fact. That they would be embarrassed by the revelation of this fact speaks volumes; there's something to be said for how we imagine others perceive us.

They're either using this as an excuse to bash you as an individual, or they're genuinely embarrassed by the Mormon church. It's probably the former, as I doubt they bothered to read through your list after they saw the word Mormon on your website.

Best of luck to you, nlocnil.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2011 10:48PM by Strykary.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: October 26, 2011 10:56PM

"Just what have I posted that is untruthful or incorrect? Please be specific as I am a person of integrity who would not like to accidently post inaccurate information."

Which is pretty much always met with the sound of crickets chirping.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: October 26, 2011 11:16PM

Is it just me or is the phrase "it saddens me" the new shaming phrase?

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 12:47AM

and it is not limited to the LDS. I've seen more than one Christian on this board say that it makes them sad that people leaving the LDS abandon Christianity all together and become Atheist.

Posted by: Ratbert ( )
Date: October 26, 2011 11:44PM

370 Women are expected to be crafty homemakers

I've known some TBM women that were crafty homebreakers......

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: October 26, 2011 11:58PM

Actually you'd think they 'd be grateful. Now all they have to do is print off the llist, and check each box they do/ have done and they know how obedient they are. You could suggest this in your facebook comments.

The only 'anti' thing i see on there is when you put the temple down as a 'secret' combination. That is offensive to tbms.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 12:22AM

(In my best TBM impersonation):Don't worry about them, Nlocnil. We love you.
And Heavenly Father knows your "special."

Thank you for putting everything I have to do in one place, all nice and organized. I'm going to print this out and put a checkmark next to each one of them, so when its all done, I'll know when the grace kicks in.

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 12:31AM

I'm so sorry to see those hurtful comments. It honestly scared me a lot about the potential fail of FB privacy settings. *cringe*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2011 12:31AM by exmollymo.

Posted by: Bal ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 12:39AM

Your only response

"So Much for turning the other cheek, your ads tout you as Christians but you just sound guilty, shame on you"

Posted by: Bal ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 12:41AM

Oh wait one more thing

delete them as your friends

nuff said

Bye Bye :)

Date: October 27, 2011 12:43AM

I just updated the list again to 456 items. Only 157 to go!

About those rants by my TBMs...

Most of them have since deleted their rants from my page. I didn't really chime in to defend myself but some other people did. Now the thread looks weird because people are answering a bunch of comments that were deleted.

Like the slander comment and others all got deleted. Then my Nephew unfriended me. But he forgot to delete his comments first. Nobody else can see them now but they still show up on my screen with no profile pic.

The only thing I did chime in with was a link to a talk by Prophet Benson where he clearly defines "All We Can Do" as concurrent with my list.
It's pretty damning:
http://lds.org/liahona/1988/12/redemption-through-jesus-christ-after-all-we-can-do?lang=eng

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 01:01AM

Seriously-- thank you for your work. I'll be referencing it. Seeing it all spelled out makes it clear how strongly the church controls member's lives-- a believing member is in a toxic and controlling relationships with the church.

FWIW, I also had an epic TBM-related facebook fail this week. I planned and executed a most epic bachelorette party last week for a BFF. I was also the slutty drunk bridesmaid at the wedding. By that, I mean that I was dressed like the whore of Babylon, and my strapless bra kept showing itself, and I was about as drunk as the bride and danced all night in trashy heels like a harlot. We had a FANTASTIC time.

Anyway, the photographers at both events weren't shy about posting incriminating pictures of my boobage attempting to escape my dress at the wedding, and the drunken shenanigans from the bachelorette party (including our entire gaggle of girls dry-humping every public statue we came across during our mighty downtown pub-crawl). I didn't untag myself fast enough and my TBM SIL discovered them, commented, and now all the TBM in-laws knows what a slutty, slutty, drunk, apostate daughter of Babylon their son married.

I'm sure on some level they're just jealous. Their Jesus Jammies ensure that they look chaste and homely no matter what. Plus they've never been to a real wedding, or an epic bachelorette celebration. They've seen it on TV and can imagine what they're missing. I just hope my mother doesn't get on facebook for a while.

Posted by: corajudd ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 01:16AM

TBM Brother:
(all his angry words and then...)Love ya Bro!

TBM Sister-in-law:
This slander saddens me.

TBM Niece:
its saddens me.

Posted by: 2thdoc ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 10:41AM

I am impressed with that accurate list and bewildered by the response of your relatives. How, in any way, can a TBM view that list anti-mormon? As others have said, you have provided a neat and tidy 'check-list' for TBMs to use. You have distilled counsel from multiple church sources into one, convenient page suitable for carrying in a wallet or purse. Marketed correctly,you could probably actually make some money off of this.

A stake president of mine once started a talk with several minutes of listing off probably around (only) 50 Mormon rules, followed by a comment like, "Whew, it's tough being a Mormon." I can't remember the point of the talk, but I do remember the exhausting list he compiled. Would your relatives find it "saddening" and "anti-Mormon" if a SP does it in stake conference?

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 11:54AM

> TBM Friend:
> wow like a 2 year old that has had his hand
> slapped for trying to steal a cookie . This is
> quite a tantrum you are having. The more you dig
> trying to make yourself feel better the more you
> will eventually be hurting inside.
>

This makes no sense on any level. This is no rant against Mormons, or accusing them of ruining your life. You just simply stated facts about their religion. No "digging" was required. Just go to church for one month and pay attention, and you will hear all of these demands(not the temple ones, you have to go there).

I also don't understand his analogy. Who "slapped" your hand and what were you trying to "steal" metaphorically? Words are supposed to mean things.

Nice list!

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 01:32PM

In fact, no thinking at all. Hence the analogy not making sense.
BUT since I have a thing for pain I'll try to decipher the undecipherable.

The auto-response of TBMs upon discovering apostasy among their ranks is that the apostate has sinned. Thus, the "hand in the cookie jar" = God found out nlocnil has sinned and so now he, nlocnil, has to write an evil, blasphemous blog to fight against God to hide his sins. Are you still with me on this? So then, the brand new apostate says "haha, I now hate God/the church, so there!" And that's what the relative meant.

[sound of crickets]

Okay, I gotta admit even I got lost in TBM so-called reasoning.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2011 01:34PM by charles, buddhist punk.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 12:43PM

If I were your family I'd be super pissed too.

All that tithing money that they've squandered on media campaigns to paint the church as "christian" and you just undid all that with one free facebook page showing that kolobians are nothing at all like mainstream christians when it comes to grace.

They know that any non-members who saw your list, then see an "I'm a mormon" commercial will laugh their little booties off..

Nice work.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.