Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 11:17PM

I've found this to be a very useful word. I never was able to properly express my anger before. Now I can say it and not feel guilty. That's progress, don't ya think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 11:18PM

I live with my son and daughter in law and still need to monitor my language for little ears. But the day is coming...

:)

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 11:19PM

I don't advocate it for every situation, but fuck, there are times to really fuckin' let loose.

Posted by: Jb ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 11:37PM

I love that word. It starts out nice and quiet and ends with a bang! Sometimes there are just no other words!

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 11:49PM

It's one of my all-time faves. I do have to keep it on the down low since I have little ones.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 11:51PM

Potty words belong in the potty. Not in your fucking mouth.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 11:52PM

...you're sayin' MF...
...just sayin'

Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 12:40AM

Then motherfucking say it then!

I want these motherfucking snakes..... (some day I need to actually watch that movie. I've heard clips from it plenty of times though.)

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 01:22PM

it goes like this:
FUCK YOU ...YOU FUCKING FUCK!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2011 01:23PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: order66 ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 12:44AM

Sometimes there's just no other way to get your point accross.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 01:04AM

To be honest, cussing just lowers how you look to others. I never cussed growing up and I don't cuss now. I get tired of hearing people use the f word all over the place. The more cussing you hear in public, the dirtier the public restrooms are and the ruder people behave. Think about it. When you bark out obscenities you don't care who hears it including children and you start to behave more sloppy. It really shows a lack of control and discipline.

Posted by: Hooey Minns ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 12:05PM

Do you avoid movies and entertainment with "language" in them?

Not trying to start anything, just curious.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 01:34AM

(I just lied to you. I was never in the military. I was in the Air Force, where I "served" for 21 years.)

Anyway, I was a good Mormon. Never used the word. BUT--I discovered that it could perform multiple grammatical tricks and be used as verb, noun, adverb, adjective, gerund, exclamation, and as a sort of Chinese-style word particle, not to mention several valid Southeast Asian place-names (such as Phuc Dup).

One could say, for instance, "What the fuck?! Fuck THAT fuckin' shit! I'm fuckin' outta here! Fuck! Don't wait the fuck up for me tonight!" Don't try making grammatical sense of sentences like that. It just doesn't work. Neither should a person condemn those who sometimes use it liberally like that; there are times and places for language like that, as it turns out. I mean, as a Mormon, who knew?

Now I grasp its many uses, and found the word to be of occasional solace when I have hurt myself or am very frustrated, or like when I blew the head gasket on my truck at 5am in a sparsely populated part of Washington.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 11:29AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2011 11:30AM by mav.

Posted by: untarded ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 02:13AM

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 08:38AM

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1913773,00.html

Although, if you read to the end, it seems that it's less effective when used often. Probably would have no effect at all on our Raptor.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 11:16AM

So if Fuck helps you cope according to the Time article, and Mormons can't curse, this would account for the rise in antidepressants in Mormons. Instead of medication for TBMS, the doctors should prescribe saying Fuck three times a day and then follow up to see if there's a reduction in neurotic symptoms and depression.

Posted by: djmaciii ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 11:43AM

The first time I dropped the F bomb was at my first job at Trolly Square theatres in down town SLC. I was a projectionist. The film had broke and the theater below was pitch black and dead quite. While trying to get the film running again, I touched an exposed electrical wire and mildly electrocuted myself. The projectionist windows were open to the theater below, when I let out a very resounding "FUCKKKK!".

Getting zapped sucked, but the F word gave me some liberation. I was 15. Now I swear all the time, its my way of letting people know, that just because I was raised in Utah, I am not Mormon.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 01:08PM

You must watch this wee clip of Billy Connolly discussing 'fuck off' - it's great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPWVq6MwW4E

... and it's soooooooo true!

Posted by: mike ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 01:19PM

There are times and situations where an f-bomb, or cursing in general, helps relieve tension. Usually I do it in private... Just a helpful hint of advice: Using curse words as every other word doesn't help in day to day conversations.

Working in the law enforcement field I hear it all the time.

Just trying to help :)

Posted by: anomalous ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 03:52PM

In addition to "fuck" I often enjoy using the "C" word (which I just discovered is not allowed on this board). And of course "douchebag" is always a joy to say out loud.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 04:55PM

I guess it's not the nicest word, but the history of it is fascinating. It comes from the goddess, Kundalini, after all. It's no worse than calling someone a dick, IMNSHO.

Posted by: miserable in utah county ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 04:29PM

I HATE the "C" word but LOVE "douchebag"!

I enjoy "fuckin-A" about a thousand times a day, in my head of course because I have little ones. And I am an exmo in Utah County so needless to say my eyes are about to roll out of my head everytime I leave my house!

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 04:28PM

Fuck a B. It Has more holes. Just realize that either way you twist it you are fucking a b-hole or an a-hole. Is that FUBARD or what, LOL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2011 04:28PM by luckychucky.

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 04:55PM

It's a perfectly cromulent word that helps you express yourself. And self-expression embiggens the soul.

I've always thought it was silly that there are forbidden words. In English, most of these are "bad" words because they are Anglo-Saxon in origin. When the Normans invaded in 1066, they spoke a French dialect, so French became the language of nobility, whereas Anglo-Saxon was the language of the peasants and serfs.

Thus, the Anglo-Saxon "pig" was replaced by the French-derived "pork." "Shit" became "excrement." "Fuck" became "copulate," the "c-word" became "vagina," and so on.

The banishment of Anglo-Saxon to the vulgar continues today. Obviously, I wouldn't advise anyone to use vulgar words in everyday conversation, especially in the workplace, but that's because it's common courtesy to respect other people's boundaries.

But go ahead and use whatever you want. You're not a serf.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 05:06PM

I just like to FUCK!

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 05:28PM

Fuck, I started using the word *fuck* when I was 18 (and worked in what was then considered a man's business). I agree with everyone else who finds *fuck* employable in many parts of speech. I also agree in some ways with the poster who said cursing "lowers how you look to others"--but I agree it does so only in certain circles, such as in academia ... or in a cathedral full of underage tourists, maybe. ("Jesus Fucking Christ, Martha, will you fucking look at that stained glass window??? Fuckin' A!!!" might be inappropriate then, IMHO.)

DH swears I've uttered a gutteral, "FUCK!" more than once during Sac Mtg back when I used to attend (quite possibly I did ... mwaahhaahahhhahahaha).

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 04:40PM

Posted by: ymountain ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 04:59PM

I used the "f" word for the first time when I was 5. No joke.

Posted by: Nealster ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 05:17PM

A couple of English swear words that are rarely used in the USA are:

1. Bollocks

and

2. Twat

I'd like to see more of you fucking Americans use these words please!

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 06:11PM

Enough with the filthy fucking language already. :)

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 06:19PM

Without thinking, I described something that needed a work order to my boss as "bollocksed up" and he got mad. Not for swearing but because he hates my way of using "big words all the time!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.