Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 01:50AM

Ouch! for the Morg. The article is showing up in papers across the country, and the comments are all pretty sweet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 02:13AM

Yeah, the Morg spends millions on "I'm a Mormon" ads, and then somebody like Looney Toone comes along and does something like this, which spreads nationwide and reinforces the perception of Mormons being weird.

Another wasted effort by The Corporation.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 02:18AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 09:06PM

Oh, please do! Catholics have a great sense of humor. The Mormons, evidently, not so much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2011 09:06PM by summer.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 09:09PM

Just don't go to trunk or treat at the ward house and you can be a nun.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 06:27PM

Story made the front page of FoxNews.com web site:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/29/church-halloween-event-bans-cross-gender-costumes/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2011 06:50PM by Fetal Deity.

Posted by: duffy ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 08:50PM

The article starts out, "The Jesus Church of Latter Day Saints..."

I guess they want to make sure everybody knows they're Christian.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 12:29PM

This is fecking hilarious!

Some poor Mormon somewhere is feeling a little bit shitty right now haha

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 06:46PM

My daughter went as Sherlock Holmes last night and everybody said it was cute.

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 07:07PM

My kids begged me too. It was funnier than hell. It was obvious I was wearing a costume, and an ugly one at that. Yet, to my dismay, the utard members of our non-utard ward were besides fit to be tied. Mormons are much to serious. They have to be the most non-fun people ever.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 09:43AM

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 07:16PM

Good! Love that negative exposure!

Funsuckers.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 07:52PM

Wait 'til some asshole gets a bunch of kids by luring them to his car for candy. Or does that not really happen? Am I the only one whose mother drilled me on stranger scenarios, starting with the one about having candy in the car?

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 04:24AM

70-90% of child sexual abuse is committed by an acquaintance of the child. Sadly, your child is more likely to be in danger from the nice guy at church than from a stranger in a van.

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 09:50AM

And now the nice man in the van is not a stranger.

Posted by: FloridaEx ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 07:57PM

The "no mask rule" is hilarious. Every member of TSCC where's a mask everyday. Two faced freaks!

Posted by: FloridaEx ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 08:09PM

Sorry. The above should be 'Every member of TSCC "wears" a mask everyday'

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 12:33PM

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 08:02PM

My 10-year old's Elementary school has a "no mask" policy for costumes on Halloween Day. Never thought about it before.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 08:10PM

In school it makes sense because we are still expected to teach even though the kids are in costume. The party if there is one is at the end of the day. The costumes do not facilitate teaching. The day is generally pretty wild and it is very hard to keep kids on task.It would be a lot worse if we couldn't recognize the kids because they were in masks.Personally, I like to know immediately which little darling is throwing paper or punching someone. I don't see the problem with masks for trick or treating or for a party though.It is fun trying to guess who everyone is. If things get out of hand, you can always tell them that they have to remove the masks.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 09:10PM

It's an issue of getting through the school day, and also one of safety. Kids have limited vision in masks, but they still need to navigate around tightly packed classrooms as well as up and down the stairwells.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 08:03PM

His wife came as an Arab Sheik, complete with a big nosed mask and white sheet draped costume and her husband was the dancing girl in a complete hot pink harem outfit with satin bra top, pink see through gauzy pants and veil!

One of my former Bishop and his wife came as Little Red Riding Hood and the Big bad wolf; His wife wore the wolf mask and he wore the wig, makeup and red hooded cape. He danced with half the elders quorum. They were not happy when the masks came off at the end of the party! Best party he and his wife remember having fun at in the long ago days of the church (the 70s)

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 09:09PM

All that good PR for millions of dollars wasted by Mormons being well,...themselves - Mormon.

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 03:04AM

The spokesperson for the church was totally dishonest (there's a thing). I was TBM for 30 years in the UK and was taught in the church, the entire time, that cross gender costumes were forbidden. Has the church really changed its policy in the 7 I've been gone?

Posted by: Yorkie ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 06:02AM

clairefergie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The spokesperson for the church was totally
> dishonest (there's a thing). I was TBM for 30
> years in the UK and was taught in the church, the
> entire time, that cross gender costumes were
> forbidden. Has the church really changed its
> policy in the 7 I've been gone?

I am also in the UK & was TBM for over 30 years, & yes, that was always the policy I knew. I remember one year being surprised when a ward in our stake put on a "christmas pantomime" as it was advertised, but when we went there was no "principle boy" or "dame" characters (for US readers here's a link that explains what a traditional British panto is)http://www.limelightscripts.co.uk/scripts/history.htm
I suppose it should have come as no surprise but it was a huge disappointment. It's a great British tradition mainly aimed at children but adults love it as well, & it's fun! But of course the morg not only surpresses fun but any culture other than US/Utah & tries to make us all fit their mold.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 09:00AM

That was my memory too. Scott Trotter really threw Bishop Toone under the bus.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 08:42AM

When I grew up, it was gender appropriate costumes only for my siblings and mormon cousins. Don't know if that was TSCC policy or just parents policy.

I'm not surprised at the policy and don't know why everyone else is. Seriously - anyone really think the church would think it is a good idea for boys to dress as girls and girls to dress as boys? I'm surprised if anyone does.

And we should all be happy when they do stupid crap like this - it makes them out to be exactly who they are.

Let the stupidity continue!!!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 09:21AM

Big pregnant pause here, as we all consider lessons to be learned. My guess is that--to most members--it will mean signs of further Persecution of the Latter-day Saints. But will it mean that there will be a campaign to be less weird, replacing the current multi-million dollar campaign to SAY that they are not as weird as made out to be?

What is funny about this is that it has to have diluted any progress that may have come from their precious "I'm-a-Mormon-and so-can-you" campaign. So now what?

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 11:33AM

...current CHI mentions the ban on masks but omits mention of cross-gender costumes. It appears that the Sandy bishop was indeed making up the rules as he went along. Was it mentioned in earlier versions of the CHI, or was it simply a traditional rule that got repeated over the years, depending on one's ward or stake? Who knows?

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 12:02PM

The no masks policy is pretty reasonable for safety, considering that parking lots are dangerous places at night and visibility is important.

The no cross gender costumes on the other hand, is ridicuous.
Once again, the church is controlling what its members do through fear and brainwashing.

The whole trunk or treat activity is stupid too, so just more nonsense from the mormon church.

No suprise there...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.