Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: justanotherprettypiece ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 05:57AM

In about 40 years it's predicted that whites will be the minority. Here's an article from last year:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/demographics/2010-03-10-minority-births_N.htm

This was brought up in my family when I went home over the summer. It almost sounded like it was a bad thing. "Less white people are having kids and soon we'll be a minority!"

Is this an issue for the lds church? Are they worried about this happening since darker skin is a "curse"?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 06:00AM

They will probably think it's proof that we are getting more wicked as a society... but their correlation committee should ensure they never publicly say so.

Posted by: jasonian ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 06:12AM

Uhm, just a question. Since when did "Hispanics" constitute a race? I thought that this term was more cultural than anything else. If you look at the US census, a person can be White and Hispanic, Black and Hispanic, Native American and Hispanic...

Hmm... I really need to understand American social studies better...

The quote from the article is this:

"Broken down by race, about 52% of babies born in 2008 were white. That's compared to about 25% who were Hispanic, 15% black and 4% Asian. Another 4% were identified by their parents as multiracial."

And "Asian", is that even a race, too? Northern Asia is Siberia, where the majority would be considered "White", western Asia is largely Persian and Arabic -- these too would be defined as "white". The countries of the former British India are a myriad of different "races" or ethnicities.

In the UK (I lived there for a while), people from the former British India were classified as "Asian" (Mongoloids were classified as... uh, don't remember)

Somehow there's a problem with definitions. Ah well... THAT'S JUST ONE THING.

Secondly, why would this even be an issue in America? Or for the LDS church if white people became a minority?

I know that the LDS church had this "curse of Cain"-doctrine, a very silly thing, but by divine revelation, this doctrine was changed. Heh...

Ah well.

Date: October 29, 2011 06:19AM

The lamanites were "cursed" with darker skin as well- which is why the lds church believes native americans have darker skin. I don't think they're able to change that doctrine- they might not talk about it but that doesn't mean they don't believe it.

White people are supposedly god's chosen people ("white and delightsome") so I can see it being a problem for the lds church. I like what freeman said, about them using it as a way to say the world's more wicked.

Posted by: jasonian ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 06:20AM

That's just sickening.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 08:56AM

I guess this is what we get when we confuse "ethnicity" with "skin colour".

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 12:41PM

One hundred fifty years people of Irish, Italian, and Eastern European descent were not considered "white." Over the years, these ethnicities gained relative social acceptance and miraculously came to be categorized as "white."

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 06:38AM

My guess is the term 'race' is a carry over from centuries past, well beyond the human genome project and well beyond when people understood what DNA was or meant. Of course back then it meant 'ethnicity'. But today, ethnicity is becoming more and more blurred and we now understand that skin color does not separate us as a race of human beings. Try telling that to the relics up at church HQ. I"m sure they fall into some kind of conniption or other when they realize their president is black.

Posted by: Miami Vice ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 07:54AM

There must be at least 100,000 blonde haired white Hispanics in South Florida. Most of them are Cuban-Americans. And most of them are NOT Mormons so I guess that God forgot to put that curse of darkness on them.

Now if you want to see a dark/loathsome people then you should go to the exmo conference in Salt Lake each year. I think it would help strengthen the testimony of Mormonism to see up front how much God is cursing the exmos and their offspring with dark skin. Can someone here return and report on how the skin of exmos and their children are turning dark? My offspring are all white/blonde so God must have forgotten about us. How is God doing on getting all the rest of you and your offspring cursed?

Oh btw I personally don't think dark skin is a curse. I'm just passing along the well-known fact here that this brand of sacred racism is a sacred doctrine of the "most correct book on earth" of my childhood religion.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 09:07AM

and Miami for most of that time.... I sure dont see much in the way of Blondes here.... when i go to Ft Lauderdale yes...but Miami??? Cubans are "mostly of the "dark" skin variety.... you would be hard pressed to find many "true" blondes here.
just sayin!

Posted by: $ ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 09:15AM

The future of tanning salons is in peril.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 09:34AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 01:13PM

I say who cares ?
The big fear among whites is that they will be treated in the same way that they have treated former minorities who are now the majority.

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 01:13PM

There has not been a single period in the history of humanity that most people on this little planet were white. Never!

I know you were only referring to the US of A, but I just had to remind you of this ;)

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 01:18PM

:) no really "we" can be very indifferent and ignert peeps in reference to the world!!
i am glad for my travels and curiosity with history and geagraphy...it also comes up currently as i work for a company that imports seafood and as a result i am esposed to the "Outside" world!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2011 01:20PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: christieja ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 01:26PM

I also read that by the year 2050, only 3% of the world population will have blue eyes.

Date: October 29, 2011 01:28PM

Wow, if that's true I guess I'll be one of the 3%. I heard natural blondes and red heads will be few too.

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 01:55PM

Between two and four percent of the world's population has blue eyes.

Posted by: christieja ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 09:57AM

My mistake, thanks for pointing it out. 3% of the US population will have blue eyes.

Posted by: rowan ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 03:00AM

I am white, my children are white, and my grandchildren are white, and I do not care if the white race is completely dissolved into other races. In fact, I think the world would be a better place if all the races mixed into one. One less thing to fight about.
The color of a person's skin, hair, eyes, their IQ level, how much money they have,if their sex organs are inside or outside, or if they heterosexual, homosexual, bi-sexual, or non-sexual, what religion they follow (or don't) has nothing to do with the value or worth of a person.
It is how you live your life, how you treat others, and take responsibility for your actions. If there is a life after this one, all that you will take from this world is your character.

Date: October 31, 2011 03:03AM

I agree, couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm white too and it doesn't bother me either- I hope I wasn't coming across that way. I was only curious if it was an issue with the church.

Posted by: Miami Vice ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 08:03AM

How can you be white now that you no longer are a good believer in God's one and only true religion? Has God forgotten to curse you with dark skin in accordance to the sacred racism doctrine in the Book of Mormon? One thing that amazes me is how the critics of the church like to make fun of them for supposedly giving up racism in 1978. That's erroneous as racism is still alive/well in Mormonism though its more muted now. Just go read the "most correct book on earth" if you need to be reminded on this fact.

Date: October 31, 2011 08:49AM

I have noticed that during the summer months I tend to get darker. I think this correlates with my sinful nature of walking around in tank tops, short shorts, and drinking margaritas in the warm summer evening :P

I agree, racism is still very much alive in the mormon church. Though they will never admit it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 08:53AM

From the current Aaronic Priesthood teaching manual.

“We recommend that people marry those who are of the same racial background generally,...''
(Lesson 31; Choosing an Eternal Companion)

Posted by: ! ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 03:18AM

Yeah in the future we'll all be sexless, raceless, identical mannikins so they will be nothing to fight about. No one will talk about "diversity" anymore.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 03:49AM

I think the reason this is said is a recessive gene, Yes?

DW#1 is a red-head, that's why they'll always have a special place in my heart for them...

however, just 1 of 9 children is R-H.

I think the 'Hispanic' classification thing is more of a cultural classification, which isn't 'scientific'.

Date: October 31, 2011 05:42AM

In Oregon where I'm from people used the term Hispanics instead of Mexicans- pretty confusing.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 08:45AM

"Hispanic" is a term invented by the US government during the Nixon administration for use in census projects. It is a label that describes an ethnic identity, not a race. The check box on the US census these days says something like "Hispanic (of any race)."

In real life, people like me who are supposed to be members of that group usually prefer something different. Latino is fairly popular as a general blanket term, as are labels that refer to the country of origin of the family (Mexican or Mexican American, etc.). I usually go with Chicano, which is a label that is associated with a particular political orientation.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 08:10AM

The pre-mortal valients are becoming a minority.
well, Christ said it would get worse before he comes again so I guess this is just another sign that the Church is true...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.