Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 02:50PM

If you have i would be interested to know what your reply was. My step son said this to his dad. I asked him how he knew that. Did he have his own personal line to satan so he could keep posted on who's on the list? He left the room in a snit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: serena ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 03:06PM

I responded pretty much as you did, i.e. are they in touch with "him"? They talk to him, really? The secondary one pretty much just glared at me, left the talking mostly up to his senior companion, who responded that my father was satan. The image of my wonderful Dad came to mind, and I snapped, told them essentially that they'd gone way over the line by insulting such a good man, and ordered them off my property. When he kept talking, I told them I was going in to call the police. They left then. I should have reported them to the local ward.

Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 03:18PM

My top responses:

"Aren't we all?"

"He's not that bad once you get to know him."

"Well, if anybody needed a friend, it's Ol' Scratch."

"Do you realize that the name Lucifer means 'light-bringer'? Originally, the mythological concept of Lucifer was someone who taught us things."

"I'll tell you what I told Oprah: Fuck off, ya miserable coont."

Posted by: greekgod ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 03:29PM

Not directly, but one of my sisters called me "blind" and "warped." My father told me "You are NOT smart, and you are WRONG." Right to my face. That really got me pissed.

But to anyone other than my family (who have since chilled out) I'll probably just feign that I worship Satan and go off in a tangent about drinking the blood of infants.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 10:04PM

Ah yes, warped. That is what my dad called me any time we got into an argument. Apparently, if you do not agree with the parents you are probably deranged. 10 years old and I'm having nightmares about having brain transplants and not recognizing myself in the mirror.

The nice thing about this day and age is that when they call you weak, blind or warped, all ya gotta do is scan the original or find it online from BYU or other koolaid sites like FAIR and email it to them.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 03:40PM

Let me see, someone is so rude that they will pick on the blind,dumb,and warped? Who is in the wrong?

If that were all true (don't think so) you probably wouldn't have had the capacity to find your way to this web site. Let alone communicate!

Your father and sister need to do a little studying before they pass judgement on you. There is an extensive list of church history books. one of them might make a nice christmas gift.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 05:40PM

I have been told that I am a tool of satan and live in the darkness. And only re-joining the mormons can save me. I told them that all my friends will be down there and I like them better than you.

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 05:47PM

Church News writer Scott Lloyd told me I was following Satan, but he didn't mean that in an offensive or judgmental way. :)

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 05:50PM

I'm being "Deceived by Satan" according to DH.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 05:50PM

Yes. To which I replied: "I don't think so. Because I do not worship Joseph Smith."

Oops! ;o))

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 05:54PM

That's excellent. LOL

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 05:55PM

I consider 2 women my best friends--for over 25 years. One told me I was under the influence of satan.

I told her to think really hard about who she was talking about.

She never said anything else.

Even if I still have arguments with her about religion--she still NEEDS me as her friend as she keeps pursuing the friendship. I KNOW I scare her--as she has always leaned on me for her own testimony. If I don't believe--then what?

If your step-son's dad doesn't believe--then what? Especially if he is someone who was a devout mormon. I really do believe we scare the hell out of them.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 06:25PM

Now some they do and some they don’t
And some you just can’t tell
And some they will and some they won’t
With some it’s just as well
You can laugh at my behavior
That’ll never bother me
Say the devil is my savior
But I don’t pay no heed
And I will go on shining
Shining like brand new
And I’ll never look behind me
My troubles will be few.

Supertramp, "Goodbye Stranger"

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 07:44PM

It's been indirectly suggested. I've responded with a WTF look--a kind of Robert DeNiro in Raging Bull "Are you talkin' to me??" look (even though I'm female)--and my TBM "friend" immediately backed off. I'm sure she'll bring it up again. Inevitable.

(I think it was "Raging Bull" anyway. ;-) )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2011 07:45PM by Sorcha.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 12:11PM

"Are you talking to me?!?" was from Taxi Driver.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 12:15PM

It was "Taxi Driver," I think. :-)

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 09:29PM

Yes, by my TBM mother after I confronted her about swearing at and repeatedly slapping my brother in front of my then-toddler children while we were visiting one summer. Apparently, only someone guided by Satan would see anything wrong with her actions.

Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 08:14PM

My friend told me that I was going to hell. I told him that I would save him a seat and maybe, together, we can make it a better place to live. He got pissed and walked off.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 08:21PM

...he gave a creepy testimony of the power of satan. After he was done talking I told him that's fine that he believed in satan but I didn't. He looked baffled and I walked out.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 09:45PM

I have been told that satan was making my countenance dark and I've been told that I am under his influence.....

I dont take it personal. People who are told that they are superior or elite or exceptional in a cult are being manipulated into thinking that their self-worth is part of the whole package of mormonism. It is sad. It is dangerous, and it is totally destructive to their individual feelings of being important and valued by leaders and thus god....

when people say that to another person so flippantly they are on a dangerous road in life and it is a dead end without much happiness and a lot of feeling of doubt and depression.

Mormons are constantly thinking about the evil in everything and worrying about satan in their own thoughts or someone elses. That is a path to mental unstability if they can't get it under control and start seeing things differently. It is not possible to block out so many things in life and live so extreem without having emotional breakdowns as your mind and body are also shutting down the good things in life that bring joy at the same time......emotional shutdown is not a selective process. Can't be shutting out feelings of outrage for being controlled in a cult without shutting out feelings of joy that we so desperately need to feel. Can't be done. The result is many of the people in the mind control of the cult are getting medicated and LOVING it.

Sad.

Posted by: wirehead ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 01:28AM

Yes, indirectly.

I just laugh it off. In the Navajo world (from what I understand; I am not a Navajo), I would possibly be considered a heyoka (which means a contrarian person).

Me, I would probably consider myself certifiably insane, and that should be enough to scare em away :)

The way I figure it, when they imply that I am under the influence of Satan, that's when I know that they are really scared of me because I have the capability of opening my eyes and finding the REAL truth, not the mormon-approved truth.

Posted by: Marisa ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 02:40AM

When I was at BYU-Hawaii,a biology professor said, "You, son, are of the devil" when a student politely questioned a component of the grading policy. The professor didn't appear to be joking.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 09:07AM

He is parroting what he has learned from his "religious" leaders. That is why parents need to get kids out of any cult.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 09:16AM

No one's had the guts to tell me that, but I know very well that they're thinking it. Of course they are. That's what they've been taught and what I would have believed when I was a TBM as well.

Posted by: machadaynu ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 09:24AM

My stepfather told me this a while ago, and put this down to my 'Sea Lamanite' (aka Polynesian) heritage.

Posted by: toolong ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 10:01AM

Yes- indirectly. When I stopped attending church the bishop stopped by and attempted to quickly drill down on my inactivity. He said that if I continued to not take the sacrament I would be more apt to be under Satan's control. Although I knew this was BS I was too new into my apostasy to tell him he was wrong. Unfortunately, however, the damage was done as my wife was sitting right there soaking up the rhetoric. So, not really funny in my case.

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 11:06AM

"No, I'm not! He told me to kill you but obviously I didn't listen."

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 11:11AM

My response was and is always- how is it possible that satan can use the writings of the lords annointed to destroy my testimony of the church?

Never fails to shut them up.

Posted by: Only Observing ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 12:07PM

I've never had a TBM say that to me, but if one did, I think this would be a good response. Really, I'm under satan's influence. At least I don't go to the temple anymore and put on that green apron when satan tells you too.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 12:16PM

do you get the idea that some of these people are watching you to see what happens to your life now? Just waiting for bad things to happen?

My life has gone so much better--good things have happened A LOT (with some bad things)--and SOME of the mormons in my life keep holding their breath.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.