Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 03:55AM

(For the record, it's my own copy, hardcover, 2nd edition, published by Salt Lake City's Bookcraft, Inc., 1966, 856 pp., in good condition).

Anyway, back to those 4 discoveries:

-1st, it was personally autographed by then-LDS Apostle "Bruce R. McConkie."

-2nd, it was a wedding gift (for a now-defunct marriage) from the then-Mormon Church Young Women General Presidency.

-3rd, it was personally hand-signed by the members of that Presidency.

-4th, it contained a personal message of benevolent bunk.

The handwritten note above the Young Women General Presidency's signatures (a note which was in a writing style different from the signatures of the three members of the Presidency) read:

"As you embark upon the threshold of your eternal marriage, we have selected this book as one you may welcome as you build your library. May it be a valuable resource in understanding and enjoying the blessings of the gospel.

"Congratulations and best wishes.

"Young Women General Presidency

[signed]

“Ruth H. Funk
“Horstense H.C. Smith
“Ardeth G. Kapp”

It was difficult to make out the scrawled signatures of the Presidency (except for Hortense's) so I looked them up then matched them up, thanks to information revealed to saint and sinner alike, at no cost or obligation, by the Great and Powerful Google God who can be reached toll-free 24/7 at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Women_(organization)#Chronology_of_the_general_presidency_of_the_Young_Women
_____

I didn't even know the book that I held in my hands contained such plain and precious scribblings from the Land That Time Forgot.

I hadn't noticed them because, frankly, over the last several years I haven't been using "Mormon Docrine" as “a valuable resource in understanding and enjoying the gospel,” although the book has served to “build my library” under the “Mormon Fiction" section. (Being relatively unused accounts for its good condition).

The book presently remains in my possession, having not yet been taken away by the Angel Moroni. I testify that it is the Keystone of Mormon Superstition.
_____

Oh, a P.S. on that LDS plan to reinstitute polygamy:

McConkie, on p. 578 of the book, under "Plural Marriage," declares:

"Obviously the holy practice [of polygamy] will commence after the Second Coming of the Son of Man and the ushering in of the millennium. (Isa.4)"

Learn something new everyday. :)

Edited 33 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2011 03:00AM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 04:36AM

I'm jealous! I only had a paperback version which has long since self-destructed and found its way to the eternal refuse pile.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 06:18AM

I didn't get any special signed gifts like that when I got married. I thought all members were supposed to be equal!

I was a very special young woman as well. I had cross-stitched my Merry Miss wall hanging thingy (the boys got plastic ones - no sewing to inconvenience them), got my YW Recognition Award and graduated from seminary. Still no pressie for me. What a cop out.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 06:36AM

I didn't get a signed copy, but I got a used copy with scribbling in it from a kid, highlights in it from a grown kid, and side annotations down the borders from the same. It went the way of all good mormon books - in the round file.

Posted by: flanders ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 09:32AM

I think you're fibbing, Steve. I went to the Deseret Book store to buy that book and they told me that no book by that name or by that author has ever existed!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2011 09:37AM by flanders.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 10:56AM

were "companion" volumes to the Bible, Pearl O'Great Price, D&C, and that every faithful member should have them on their shelf.

Well, they were right about the shelf.

Anagrammy

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 10:04AM

My first edition reads the same except that the holy practice will commence AGAIN.

"In our day, the Lord summarized by revelation the whole doctrine of exaltation and predicated it upon the marriage of one man to one woman. (D. & C. 132:1-28.) Thereafter he added the principles relative to plurality of wives with the express stipulation that any such marriages would be valid only if authorized by the President of the Church. (D. & C. 132:7, 29-66.)"

p. 523

So Tommy can give polygamy the green light?

I assume McConkie is referring to polygamy with living wives since it is common practice to be sealed to more than one wife as successive wives die.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 10:11AM

"Obviously the holy practice [of polygamy] will commence after the Second Coming of the Son of Man and the ushering in of the millennium. (Isa.4)"
obviously!! :)

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 10:37AM

For the truth, you should go to lds.org.

Okay... not really, but that's what I see all the time when I read the letters/postings on other newspapers when "older" mormons tell what the LDS "really" believe. Only they don't anymore.

The mormonism of my youth is erased, BRM included, and it's all anti-mormon lies now.

So, trying to tell a younger mormon what they actually believe is problematic. (They obviously know more than I do... even though I was born and raised in mormonism and went through all its programs.

If I bring up BRM to most mormons, he's simply discounted as a heretic or something similar. The fact he was an apostle doesn't seem to phase them, or make them wonder if the current ones are any better....

BTW... I have a New Testament Commentary signed by him... apparently he came through that particular bookstore a few days before I purchased it.

"Trail builder boys are happy, at home and across the sea..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2011 10:43AM by jpt.

Posted by: notmo ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 12:57PM

look up "Catholic Church", "pealing of bells", "burning of candles", "wearing a cross" and then ask yourself why Mormons aren't Christians.

It really wasn't an issue back in the late seventies.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 02:13PM

Back when I was a tbm I had copies of all Joseph Fielding's "Answers to Gospel Questions" and related book sets. I actually despised what he had to say back then. If memory serves JFS was McConkie's father-in-law. I read a little of "Mormon Doctrine" and decided not to buy as it was just another set of pious ramblings of a self important, santimoneous blowhard. Don't know why it took me so long to wake up. I just worked really hard at ignoring this sort of thing.

However, at the time, it was touted as the end-all-be-all of what the doctrine really was.

Posted by: birds of a feather... ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 02:30PM

I forgot how amusing that book was. It was the first piece of church literature I threw away...I don't even think it was mine!

something tells me the Ex won't mind my book-burning of his copy...

Posted by: Done! ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 02:32PM

We always called it "The Stick of Bruce" because the book held a lot of weight in our missionary circles. It says you can't play cards too. That sucks.

I also remember frequent replays of his final "testimony" of the gospel in general conference right before he died.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 10:44PM

Or thereabouts. It was a nice hardbound edition like yours. That is a nice book. It's unfortunate that the contents aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Another section you might want to check out for fun reading is "Races of Men." It was changed silently in later printings to soften the unbelievably racist language.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 01:43AM

there was a 1st edition around in the house, you know, the one that said polygamy would have to be reinstated for the millenial reign of christ.

I should have tried to keep track of it, but oh well ...
I lost so much stuff during that time, I'm just lucky that I saved the things I did , like my own life

( that marriage, the biggest mistake of my life! )

Posted by: captainmoroni ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:12AM

Love that book. Mormon Doctrine and Doctrines of Salvation did the most convince me the church was wrong with all their insanity long before I ever read "anti-Mormon propaganda." I left not because of the critic's words. I left because I listened to the prophet's words.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 04:37PM

Mormon Doctrine was also heavily quoted in Priesthood, Sunday School and Institute lesson materials. Bruce R. was probably more influential in defining Mormonism than some presidents of the church.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 04:45PM

Doesn't matter.

They contain the racist, sexist, lying, cultish rants of the Mormon Church's top leadership spanning decades--and were published and made available with the permission and/or allowance of the Mormon Church; remained in print because of tolerance and encouragement of the Mormon Church; and contained teachings that were espoused and defended by invoking God through the highest leaders of the Mormon Church.

Who cares if it's not "official" anymore, or ever was?

It's totally cranky, craaaaaaazy stuff that emerged out of the swamp because of the Mormon Church and thus tands as a lasting testament to what the Mormon Church is all about.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2011 06:13PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 04:59PM

Not to mention, those were the "go to" books so many of us were raised on. I don't recall my parents ever having a BOM in the house. They were constantly reading excerpts out of MD to us kids.That was very common. Until the prophet made a push for everyone to own a BOM lots of people didn't have one. My grandmother was 3rd generation tbm and never owned or read a BOM.

Those books are full of things that a lot of mormons still believe to this day. They become confused when they can't find scriptural references,not realizing their beliefs came from those "other" books.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.