Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 12:54PM

I've never been to a LDS 'pageant' but I understand that there are several of them:

Castle Valley Pageant
Clarkston Pageant
Hill Cumorah Pageant
Mormon Miracle Pageant
Easter Pageant
Nauvoo Pageant

Why the Mormon obsession with pageants? Are they basically like the "road shows" of old?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 01:08PM

I'm in the East and remember TBMs talking about The Hill Cumorah Pageant and getting all excited. I think some in the ward were "in it". Never understood it or wanted to go. Now that I know it's all a crock, glad I didn't waste my time or money. I would have felt out of place anyway.

Posted by: subliminal ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 01:15PM

I was forced to attend the Hill Cumorah Pageant. It's like a play. I forgot what it was about.

Posted by: jasonian ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 01:20PM

What's a pageant? :/

I know what it is in the Miss Universe context, but in a Mormon context?

Date: November 05, 2011 01:30PM

...and what I got was a lot of beauty pageant contestants witnessing for Jesus.

WTF on both counts!

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 02:50PM

Many years ago I took the 8 or 10 year old daughter of a friend. I think she was in the primary class I was teaching at the time.

Anyway...the whole thing was canned, right down to the opening and closing prayers. Basically, the performers mimed to a pre-recording. We went 2 nights in a row, and it was all exactly the same.

My young friend was enthralled by the whole thing. I played it up positive, but I had a hard time finding the spirituality.

I'd never go to another one.

Susan

Date: November 05, 2011 04:14PM

That's pretty funny about the 'canned' audio. The Church of Milli Vanilli!

Posted by: scuba ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 04:33PM

As a TBM I went to the Easter Pageant at the Mesa Arizona Temple several times.

I'm not sure how I would like it now as an Atheist, but I thought it was fairly well done at the time. Plus, it's free so it's not like you can complain too much about it.

I always thought it was exciting to see all those evil, lost, corrupted anti-Mormons protesting outside the temple grounds. I always wanted to get in an argument with one but never did.

Posted by: jasonian ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 04:44PM

How is a beauty pageant Christian? And Mormon for that matter?

What happened to the "content of our characters"? Oh wait, that was MLK, and he's evil.

Found some Bible quotes:

1 Peter 3:3-4

Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.

Proverbs 31:30

Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

1 Samuel 16:7

But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.